Slim LED Recessed Lighting w/o attic Access: DIY or Call Someone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am contemplating buying the necessary tools (hole sale, wire fisher, flexible drill bit, drywall saw) etc to DIYing the installation of 4-6 4” slim mount recessed LED lights in my basement office. If there is a room to learn DIY in the house, it’s this one; however, I am not so sure about trying to laterally drill through the floor beams in the ceiling.

What’s everyone’s experience with this sort of thing? If you have the right tools, is it easy enough? I am fairly good at drywall to making the necessary relief cuts wont be an issue.

WWYD?

Go for it! The worse that can happen is you don’t do the elctrical quite right and your house burns down.

Seriously though, take your time, follow the instructions and get a wiring book and you’ll be fine. Fishing the wires will be the hardest part. You might need to cut a couple of access holes. Use the hole saw and then use the disc as the patch.

For drilling through your joists, get a long spade (hole drill) about 3/4', and just drill through the centerish part of the joist.
With the long drill you can work though the opening of the first lights opening your installing. Dont worry about being perpendicular with the board the angle will help you feed the wire through easier.

A simple wiring book or Google 'home wiring' there are lots of good video's and diagrams out there.
Have fun and as noted above, take your time!

What are your joist size ? 2x8,2x10,2x12 or TGI's.
Try to drill the joist in the center of the joist 2' away from the support in order not to put extra stress on the bearing area of the joist.
Good luck with the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom