Sliders squeaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Installed a set of Metal Tech sliders about a year ago. After driving for a bit, I've noticed a squeaking noise coming from where the sliders rub against the rocker panel. I was hoping this would go away after they settled in, but no joy. Anyone else have this issue? The sliders were a PITA to install but they're mounted up solidly. Perhaps too well? i.e. too close to the body?

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Hello all,

Installed a set of Metal Tech sliders about a year ago. After driving for a bit, I've noticed a squeaking noise coming from where the sliders rub against the rocker panel. I was hoping this would go away after they settled in, but no joy. Anyone else have this issue? The sliders were a PITA to install but they're mounted up solidly. Perhaps too well? i.e. too close to the body?

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Post photo of the squeak poi t and the various mount points.

Your sliders shouldn't touch the rocker panel, if they do they are too close. The body and frame flex/move independently due to the rubber body mounts. You might be able to loosen them up a bit, then re-tighten and get some space.

I had these on my 100. I had to modify them slightly but after that they seemed to work ok. Not sure if the 200 sliders are different.

I ground down the top of the flat bar that rests against the frame. This would make contact with the body on bumps.

Made sure there was space between the outriggers and body pinch weld.

I added small metal spacers between the U-bolt and the outriggers to prevent the sliders from moving up over time and hitting the pinch weld.

Last edited:
Your sliders shouldn't touch the rocker panel, if they do they are too close. The body and frame flex/move independently due to the rubber body mounts. You might be able to loosen them up a bit, then re-tighten and get some space.

/\ This./\

Look at the bolt holes in the slider mount plates. They are probably slotted & you’re probably not far from a pretty quick adjustment. If the contact is new,could be they just weren’t tight enough andslowly moved etc.

Thanks for the responses...

Update, I loosened the slider bolts and retightened to get the slider as low and away from the body as possible. Still squeaks...

Here is a picture of where the noise is coming from on the passenger side front mount. The plastic trim on the rocker panel is the culprit, but I can't seem to get enough separation from it to prevent the squeak.
IMG_1593.jpg

Thanks for the responses...

Update, I loosened the slider bolts and retightened to get the slider as low and away from the body as possible. Still squeaks...

Here is a picture of where the noise is coming from on the passenger side front mount. The plastic trim on the rocker panel is the culprit, but I can't seem to get enough separation from it to prevent the squeak.View attachment 2324068

-Wider shot for context...
-View of full slider underneath and external...

There are people here willing to help, but ya gotta give folks waaaay more visual clues. ;)

I don't know the mounting mechanism of these sliders, but could you loosen the mounts and insert a metal shim in the upper portion to angle the tubes down a little? A little bit of shim could result in a fair amount of space that far out from the pivot point.

Is thereSomething that makes you certain the squeak is definitely coming from the slider? If so, what assures you of this? Not doubting. TryingTohelp you troubleshoot

Sorry for the lack of detail. Pulling single dad ops all day today haha. I added a couple more pics for clarity on mounting. The noise is only coming from the passenger side front where the slider rubs the plastic when the vehicle flexes.

I would like to upload a video but I don't see that option.

@Markuson this is from the under and inside of the slider looking out. Slider is in the bottom half of the video.

@Markuson this is from the under and inside of the slider looking out. Slider is in the bottom half of the video.

[/QUOTE]

Great that you were able to post a video, but man... Please try to imagine folks on the other end trying to decipher what, where, and the spacial context of what we’re looking at.

**PS. Nothing under there should be able to move as freely as what you move in the video to produce the squeak. Is there a chance trim piece itself is its own problem? It shouldn't really be moving at all. Could be it’s own anchors are screwy and contributing to the contact.

Last edited:
Those sliders do mount really close to the rocker panel!! ARB mounts much farther away.

Hello all,

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Should not be squeaking for sure. Have you reached out to Metal-tech 4x4 tech support?

If no our staff can help you with any trouble shooting for our products. Hit our info@metaltech4x4.com email or call 503-822-1111 9:30-4PM M-F (Covid hours).

Should not be squeaking for sure. Have you reached out to Metal-tech 4x4 tech support?

If no our staff can help you with any trouble shooting for our products. Hit our info@metaltech4x4.com email or call 503-822-1111 9:30-4PM M-F (Covid hours).
Does anyone know if F18 sorted out the squeak? In the process of narrowing down some sliders and Metal-Tech is at the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom