sleeping platform builds please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to sleep 2 in the back or at least be able to jump back there if storms roll up while tent camping. I'm looking for ideas on drawer system / sleeping platform. My double intex inflatable mattress fits nicely over top of the wheelwell humps so I really am thinking about just building to the top of them and not much higher so I can get at least some headroom. I can't afford the fridge so I really just want the whole area for sleeping. I have removed the rear bench seat bottom for more headroom while sleeping. Prob going to build with plywood and maybe pine boards. Not sure how you screw into the end of plywood so the spacers or walls would be 1x8 pine boards. Just looking for simple ideas. I have an old coleman stove I'd like to incorporate and build the pull out kitchen with fold down legs.

does the land cruiser do better than other vehicles in NOT catching lots of humidity while sleeping? I'll be mostly summer beach camping and have mosquito screens on the back door windows for ventilation but storms may force me to roll them up. Any experience?

gunna get wet in there...use plenty of blankets and leave it open during the dry weather and you'll be fine...

Bought some boards and got started. Its going to be built to fit. So I won't be pulling it out once it's done. Basically two parts ...rear section will be built like a box. I tried contouring the bottom but that didn't work so well as installing it is really impossible with the verticle boards. So I cut to fit inside the wheelwells and placed two 1x8x48" boards on either end. Placed them in position and marked there location. Then removed and being by myself I used a 2x2 to temp brace the 1x8 in place so I could screw it.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

next I cut a 3/4 plywood (really 23/32) edit:top board, to 59 inches across and 48 deep and curved the ends to accomodate the curvature at the rear. I also cut slots around the edges to go over the speakers. If you don't have speakers you will prob need to cut at least one slot to get over the latch receiver for the back seat mounted above the wheelwells.

DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Next I started working on the front section. I removed the bench seat. This area will be used for storage. I'm using 2x2 inch board as a cleat and mounting it to the outside of the drawer box already made. Another 2x2 with legs for the front. I used some scrap plywood to brace the corners. Then a plywood board gets screwed to the top of the cleat and the legs.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited:
I'll use the scrap piece of 3/4 inch that is 48 inches wide and cut it 29 to 29.5 to come up to the front seats. I think I'll need the extra space at the sides to roll the back window up from inside and pull the door pulls. Thats as far as I have got today.

I used some old 5/8" shelves that had a PVC coating to build my drawers and rear part of the sleeping platform. I then went and grabbed 1 sheet of plywood and some cheap carpet from Home Depot and built the front platform extension. The front is supported with two galvanized pipes that are screwed into a threaded base and then attached to the bottom of the front platform with with some carriage bolts with the round part sunk in flush on the top side and wing nuts on the bottom to hold the legs to the platform. When in daily driver mode I simply undo the wing nuts and the legs store nicely in the small space between the front of the drawers and the back seat.

22660846257_7b138e0ea8_k.jpg
22660873497_5936357737_k.jpg
23065653552_5da643d70e_k.jpg
22687011099_51128d018f_k.jpg
2016-04-15_0003.jpg

basic and pretty light...no drawers, I have that big Hardigg case I built it around.

sleepingplatform 1.jpg

Plenty of space where the bench seat was. I can fit a porta potty, tool box, duffle bags, etc.
I built the forward part today. I'll probably eventually cut the sides and put piano hinges so I can slide the rear drawer box out. The front section will come out by unscrewing (4) 2 inch wood screws that hold the top board to the 2x2 cleat.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:
What type of mattress is that? This is what I was looking for. Keep em' coming!!

I used some old 5/8" shelves that had a PVC coating to build my drawers and rear part of the sleeping platform. I then went and grabbed 1 sheet of plywood and some cheap carpet from Home Depot and built the front platform extension. The front is supported with two galvanized pipes that are screwed into a threaded base and then attached to the bottom of the front platform with with some carriage bolts with the round part sunk in flush on the top side and wing nuts on the bottom to hold the legs to the platform. When in daily driver mode I simply undo the wing nuts and the legs store nicely in the small space between the front of the drawers and the back seat.

22660846257_7b138e0ea8_k.jpg
22660873497_5936357737_k.jpg
23065653552_5da643d70e_k.jpg
22687011099_51128d018f_k.jpg
2016-04-15_0003.jpg

What type of mattress is that? This is what I was looking for. Keep em' coming!!

Amazon.com: Lucid 4" Folding Mattress, Queen: Kitchen & Dining

I used that folding foam mattress for a while, but it just didn't fold up enough for me so I sold it to a friend and bought an Exped MegaMat Duo 10 off craigslist. Here is a link to the pad I currently run.

Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad

I will say both options have been great, but with the space saving size the Exped rolls into it, is by far the better choice in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom