Slee Dual Battery Tray - What batteries have you used? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What if you flip the battery backwards?
Not sure, you can always put the tray in and then head over to Batteries Plus and see if they'll let you check fit before you buy

Parallel. + to + and - to -. Serial hookup would yield 24V, not 12V.
Should I run a relay or something? I was planning two fuses at both pos and hooking them together.

My personal opinion and what I did:
Ditch the Slee battery tray and just bolt two Odyssey P1200 batteries into the stock location! The Odyssey P1200 are significantly smaller, yet just as powerful as the factory battery. It's simple and works great! I've had this setup for years now, even bouncing on hard trails. Here's how to set it up:
  • Get a length of 2 x 12 wood, just long enough to go across the stock battery tray. This will raise the batteries up to about the stock height again. Note: a 2 x 12 piece of wood does not conduct electricity, does not corrode, does not rust, will last longer than your rig and is the cheapest material one can find.
  • Get what some people call "plumbers tape" it's that metal strap material with holes that's used for strapping water heaters.
  • A couple lengths of heat shrink tubing that will fit over the plumbers tape. This is just to avoid have any extra bare metal around the battery posts.
  • a simple turn-buckle.
How to mount it:
  • Arrange the batteries in a "T" in the stock location on top of the 2 x 12 wood. Be sure the wood is long enough to support the entire length of both batteries. You may have to do a little positioning, but they will fit nicely.
  • Now take the plumbers tape (with the heat shrink already applied) and run it under one side of the stock battery tray and out the other side. Run the plumbers tape perpendicular to the vehicle.
  • Now just figure out own long your turn buckle is and cut the plumbers tape. *Tip: leave enough on the ends of the plumbers tape to fold back on itself so the turn buckle hooks go through two holes of the tape.
  • Start tightening the turn buckle and Wall-la! You now have a dual battery setup!
Now, save that corner of space under the hood where the Slee battery mount was going to go and put your compressor there!!
Note, I love Slee products, but I like my simple dual battery setup better! :clap:
If you want a photo, I'll post one.

MT7-75DT in Slee tray. ;)
DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

My personal opinion and what I did:
Ditch the Slee battery tray and just bolt two Odyssey P1200 batteries into the stock location! The Odyssey P1200 are significantly smaller, yet just as powerful as the factory battery. It's simple and works great! I've had this setup for years now, even bouncing on hard trails. Here's how to set it up:
  • Get a length of 2 x 12 wood, just long enough to go across the stock battery tray. This will raise the batteries up to about the stock height again. Note: a 2 x 12 piece of wood does not conduct electricity, does not corrode, does not rust, will last longer than your rig and is the cheapest material one can find.
  • Get what some people call "plumbers tape" it's that metal strap material with holes that's used for strapping water heaters.
  • A couple lengths of heat shrink tubing that will fit over the plumbers tape. This is just to avoid have any extra bare metal around the battery posts.
  • a simple turn-buckle.
How to mount it:
  • Arrange the batteries in a "T" in the stock location on top of the 2 x 12 wood. Be sure the wood is long enough to support the entire length of both batteries. You may have to do a little positioning, but they will fit nicely.
  • Now take the plumbers tape (with the heat shrink already applied) and run it under one side of the stock battery tray and out the other side. Run the plumbers tape perpendicular to the vehicle.
  • Now just figure out own long your turn buckle is and cut the plumbers tape. *Tip: leave enough on the ends of the plumbers tape to fold back on itself so the turn buckle hooks go through two holes of the tape.
  • Start tightening the turn buckle and Wall-la! You now have a dual battery setup!
Now, save that corner of space under the hood where the Slee battery mount was going to go and put your compressor there!!
Note, I love Slee products, but I like my simple dual battery setup better! :clap:
If you want a photo, I'll post one.

Please post a photo! I’m looking into easy options for this now before I hook up a compressor.

Why did they stop offering this?
I understand the ARB compressor, but I have no desire for a low Amp hour G75 battery, as a second
No kidding! Exactly why I think switching which one is primary and aux is ideal but hate messing with the stock wiring.

Okay so my next question is. How would you hook this up together? Like parallel or something like that !
If you intend to camp and run lights a fridge etc then you should have a relay or switch. The relay will isolate the aux battery so you can run it down and still be able to start you vehicle later. All your accessories you intend to run while the vehicle is off should be wired to a fuse block that is ran off the aux batt. You can run items that you will only use while the vehicle is running on the aux too but not absolutely necessary. There are some threads around showing some wiring diagrams and ideas and I plan to do a vid on mine once I get mine in the cruiser.

This playlist has a number of power related videos. The first I go through my opinions on different relay options (my thoughts have evolved some but still like the blue sea ml-acr best), there's a vid about batteries, and a few on a dual battery install I did on my buddies 4runner. These might help a bit.
Brady Adventures Overland Power - YouTube

No kidding! Exactly why I think switching which one is primary and aux is ideal but hate messing with the stock wiring.
I thought about that for a second, and came to the same conclusion.
In the end, I'll be fabricating my own mount, and sharing the drawings with the forum, so anyone who wants to build one, can.

Please post a photo! I’m looking into easy options for this now before I hook up a compressor.

I second this request for photo. I am looking to add second battery and have no intention of adding compressor. I can figure one out [mount] but no sense re-inventing the wheel :wrench::beer:

Sorry about not getting back to this sooner...

Here are a few pic's of my battery setup and where I mounted the compressor. Note the simple plumber's strap and turnbuckle. I used shrink tubing over the plumbers strap to avoid sharp edges and reduce the amount of exposed bare metal. The plumbers strap get looped ALL the way under the factory battery tray and up and over the batteries. Yes there is a section of 2" x 12" under the batteries to lift them up a wee bit. I still use the factory battery strap, but it won't work for two batteries, thus the plumbers strap.

Cheers!

When I picked up my X2 Power 27F, I placed it in the Old Sleeve Aux Tray, put a sheet of copy paper over the top and closed the hood. Paper wasn't even touched. I'm confident that the 27F will fit in the aux location for what it's worth. I didn't need 2x 27F, so I put the less expensive 34 in the aux location.

When I picked up my X2 Power 27F, I placed it in the Old Sleeve Aux Tray, put a sheet of copy paper over the top and closed the hood. Paper wasn't even touched. I'm confident that the 27F will fit in the aux location for what it's worth. I didn't need 2x 27F, so I put the less expensive 34 in the aux location.
With the new slee tray a 27f will not fit i used a 34-78

Hopefully on topic. I installed the newer tray and hoped I could shoehorn my DH but as we know, it was a no go. Since I had already replaced the primary/starting battery with a new version DH deep cycle, I ended up just buying a small Costco wet battery that fit the tray. I ran my fridge non-stop for the summer. Only once (after 2 days sitting in +100*) did I drain the battery. I pulled out my jumper cables and jumped from my Costco battery. The only reason I am contemplating the MT7-75DT or the PC1230 is that they can sit for long periods of time (at least out of engine compartment when not in use) compared to lesser wet batteries. Even though I have the kit to install a dual system, I find it unnecessary for my needs.

Hey guys,

It has been a year since I started this thread and I finally have my aux tray and battery in the cruiser. I wanted to thank all of you for the input, pictures, and ideas! This thread was a huge benefit!

This is the video of the install. I am finishing up the wiring and everything and will be posting videos of that stuff in the next week or so.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom