Slee Dual battery install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I'm going to install a dual battery in my 2013 LC.

I have a Slee upgraded main battery mount and aux battery mount. I'm waiting on a National Luna dual battery kit.

The Slee kit calls for a GP 35 battery. I understand it to be the same specs as a Gp 34 but the terminals are reversed , positive on the right side of the battery rather than on the left. How is this going to make a difference in the install?

I was thinking of swapping the batteries around ,but I got the truck with a brand new Toyota battery so I'll think about it when that battery dies.

Thanks in advance.

About the terminal sides...
For one...the wired battery connectors on your main artery side won’t usually have enough wire to flip sides, and crossing isn’t a good idea anyway. Also...if you flip the battery instead, it usually means the terminal posts will be on the far edge...so reaching them across the battery will mean alterations or extensions too.
Slee...who you bought your trays from...can certainly offer you advice, and with their trays, you also have some different parameters you can work with since they include terminal extensions to reach more central posts on their originally-suggested type 31. I’d start there and ask. If you have a specific use style/need list that gets complicated post it...after checking out existing threads. Search using “dual battery” and limit it to the 200 section, and you’ll find a ton of info.

Last edited:
I'm not flipping sides until my new starter battery dies and I'll make new cables and do so.

Unlike what I've been told before the GP35 is not the same as a Gp34 battery . The sizes are different.

My local Batteries Plus has an Gp35 X2 Power battery with a 60 month warranty.

I got the Slee trays in. The D/S tray was a straight forward install. Definitely a two person operation to get the bolts tightened up.

Th P/S tray was easy enough once I realized the tray is bolted down from the base to four captured nuts in the top of the fender . Not in the instructions. A hint in getting the P/S reservoir off the bracket is to remove it from the bracket before removing the bracket.

I decide to swap battery sides and do so by getting 7 ft of 4/0 battery cable with 3/8 terminals . Rather than cutting off the battery terminals , I bolted the cable to the terminals. I felt this was easier and less traumatic than cutting off the terminals and splicing.

I routed the cables across the front of the radiator. Unlike my FJ60 , there were limited places to run the big thick cable but it was doable. I attached the cables to the new starting battery, a X2 Power GP35 dual purpose battery with military battery terminals .

The truck started right up. Now my aux battery is a GP31 Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM deep cycle dual purpose battery with 105 AH vs the Gp 35 60 AH.

Once I saw I could do this without cutting the factory battery cables this was an easy job that took about an hour.

Next is to wire up the National Luna dual battery system. First I would like to determine where I'm going to put the battery monitor gauge so I can figure out how to route the wire.

IMG_20191028_164018410.jpg

IMG_20191028_164023486.jpg

Last edited:
I wired up the National Luna solenoid and added a circuit breaker and aux fuse block.

Next up is to run some wires through the firewall for the battery gauge , rear fridge and other circuits.

IMG_20191103_123036411.jpg

IMG_20191103_123040783.jpg

IMG_20191103_171648035.jpg

IMG_20191103_171831517.jpg

IMG_20191103_171843475.jpg

looks good! where did you get your cables 2/0 cables?

Also, for what it's worth, you could have gone without extending the negative cable. You could have just relocated the stock one to the other side, or gone from 2nd tray to the frame/engine block.

Thanks.
National Luna advises not to use a chassis ground. I used 4/0 gauge cable to switch the batteries . Getting cables with terminal ends made the switch very easy.

Hopefully getting cables through the firewall will not be too difficult.

Amazon product ASIN B01F44Y7Z0

Thanks.
National Luna advises not to use a chassis ground. I used 4/0 gauge cable to switch the batteries . Getting cables with terminal ends made the switch very easy.

Hopefully getting cables through the firewall will not be too difficult.

Amazon product ASIN B01F44Y7Z0

the stock cable splits off to 2 places. 1) chassis and 2) engine block. Did you change yours?

the stock cable splits off to 2 places. 1) chassis and 2) engine block. Did you change yours?

No, I removed the battery post adapters and bolted my extensions in place of it. Very easy. I routed the cables around the front first.

Another consideration:

I read many many pages about doing dual battery setups prior to installing mine. Several cautioned against running the heavy cable across the front core support above the radiator. I know it's remote, but in a front collision, it wouldn't be a stretch to have the positive cable get pinched somewhere and short directly to ground. This would cause a fire that would be difficult to put out. I ran mine all the way behind, across the firewall above the engine, then forward, all encased in braided flex loom (love that stuff).

Yeah, I have mine in mesh sleeve zip tied up against the firewall flange with the OE wiring bundle. It's a bit longer route, but I'd rather have that than have an electrical fire aggravate an otherwise repairable collision.

FWIW, anyone looking for a second battery, Tacomaworld has a pretty good deal through a group by for Northstar batteries:

Another consideration:

I read many many pages about doing dual battery setups prior to installing mine. Several cautioned against running the heavy cable across the front core support above the radiator. I know it's remote, but in a front collision, it wouldn't be a stretch to have the positive cable get pinched somewhere and short directly to ground. This would cause a fire that would be difficult to put out. I ran mine all the way behind, across the firewall above the engine, then forward, all encased in braided flex loom (love that stuff).
Great point @KLF, thank you for bringing this up.

If one wanted to go this route, how long would you recommend getting the positive and negative cables? I picked up the Dual Slee setup with the redarc and hope to have it installed by the end of next week. Trying to gather any extra parts now. Picked up new Toyota terminals and the Slee recommended Interstate battery today.

It would be okay to run the positive at the front end so long as it's fused right near the battery

or you can just order the "R" battery which has the terminals the other way. i.e. 34R vs just a 34 or 35R vs 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom