Skid plate, rocker sliders and axle armor. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

firefighterjed

SILVER Star
Threads
A recent 4x4 outing with the boisecruiserheads gave me two things to think about. I have almost no four wheeling experience so much of this is new for me.

First, I don’t intend for this vehicle to be a rock crawler. It’s to nice. But I would like to adventure on some rocky terrain. I want to install some rocker protection so I can prevent body damage if I go over a rock that’s to tall. It should be discrete, but robust enough to provide the needed protection.
1EDFA30F-4953-4038-95FB-F920A00E91A9.jpeg
F06CFA11-0480-4282-B487-9B15F4878214.png

I can fabricate, so if you’ve got pics of what I’m describing, could you post them up? And materials info.

Second:
We encountered some snow on this outing and the 3 or fourth rig across a new track was getting stuck because the tire ruts would get deep enough that the axle housings/difs/undercarriage would drag. This got me thinking about the importance of clearance.
A4928E82-4FA3-4426-9D7F-A4867FDF10E4.jpeg

My rig came to me with a skid plate on the front axle. It looks to me like a sturdy unit and it replaces the passenger front leaf spring plate.
87960D99-620C-4C38-B042-D8C58498E055.jpeg

This is probably good for rocks, but bad for deep snow and/or mud.

For you more experienced offf road folks, is the protection worth the decreased clearance?

I'd lose the skid plate. If you want a little more clearance get a u bolt flip kit. Make the bottom slippery, so it slides off obstacles. When wheeling make a mental picture of the clearances under your 40. Know where the pumpkins are.

^^^^^ Agree, in my opinion that skid plate is a loss of ground clearance, adds zilch to the strength of the front axle housing, adds unnecessary weight to the vehicle, and it would constantly be hung up on rocks.

Possibly a good option for sliders. Maintains a sorta oem look without sacrificing breakover point.

20210905_221638.jpg

20210905_221604.jpg

20210905_221532.jpg

I would 100% ditch the front axle skid thing.

Metal Tech sells a nice set of Rock Sliders . Get rid of the old Go Rhino Axle truss.

That's an old Rancho axle truss. Kind of joke in that they are very bad for ground clearance and wil catch ledges and edges like your shins in a sword fight with hobbits. They were never (afaik) made for a 40, 55, or 60s which is why it sits so ridiculously lopsided. Someone got "kree-8-iv". Notice the overly long u-bolt ends hanging down where they bent a tab over and tucked it under the spring. Gak.

As an aside - I am looking for one for an unrelated project if you decide pry it out of there.

@numby the truss is yours if you’ll make a donation to my u bolt flip kit fund, and cover shipping from idaho.

Ditch the axle skid plate and do a u bolt flip and you will be fine.
I have a 77 that constantly drug the shackle bolts at rausch creek wheeling. I did the flip and ran the trails the next year and never hit the rocks once.

Flip kit ordered. Couldn’t order from 4 Plus online, but ordering from Dave via email was very easy.

I think i have my head wrapped around the sliders I want to build.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

To protect the diff from bashing into rocks, I welded a curved strip of steel to the pumpkin protecting the ring gear. I think I used 3/16 and pounded it into a curve to match the diff.

You could also use an 8" (?) Pipe cap cut in half:
Pipe Fittings Direct - https://www.pipefittingsdirect.com › ...
8 inch schedule 40 carbon steel weld on cap - Pipe Fittings Direct

Here’s a before and after shot of the front axle clearance. The flip kit from 4plus was an impressive product that installed without issue.

6E3ADE19-F0F0-4714-BC2E-B28C212568CE.jpeg

I don’t have a “before” pic of the rear, but i really like how the kit moves the lower shock mount up and out of the way a little bit.

79B0DC9E-CE59-4D37-9CDA-C8C20CA23685.jpeg

That's an old Rancho axle truss. Kind of joke in that they are very bad for ground clearance and wil catch ledges and edges like your shins in a sword fight with hobbits. They were never (afaik) made for a 40, 55, or 60s which is why it sits so ridiculously lopsided. Someone got "kree-8-iv". Notice the overly long u-bolt ends hanging down where they bent a tab over and tucked it under the spring. Gak.

As an aside - I am looking for one for an unrelated project if you decide pry it out of there.
Shipped it today. Check your messages. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom