Ski Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to cut quite a bit out of the grill , but I'm happy that it doesn't stick out too far . Still need to get a hawse fairlead and cut a hole in the bumper but It's on there anyway . Not sure I like it . Might have to redesign it on the next go round . I will be adding some more tube eventually to tie the front bumper to the sliders . Probably do the same to the rear bumper as well . Not planning on wheeling this rig but a little protection from the trees is always good .

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

I like it. Nice and low profile.

So often the front bumpers on 60's end up huge, and sticking out half a mile. ( mine did.)

That's quite the cruiser farm you're cultivating over there...I spied a 45 in the back too. My neighbour wanted to sell me one a while back. I resisted...tho it wasn't easy. :lol:

Looking good, I'll be over next week to check it out.

Sounds good . I'll be done in a couple of days . Started tearing into the back yesterday after a slight fiasco removing the detroit from my other rig . I have the springs back in (flipped them side for side) , I think they are some type of lift spring ? They are a bit narrower than stockers but still have the wrap around them like stockers do . I think they've sagged out enough to use they seem to sit like a normal rig would . Should have the front springs re and re'd in a bit and then I'll start setting pinion angles and such . I'll take more pics then .

Got the springs back in and set the pinion angles and caster . Had to use some anti inversion shackles in the front after I tested one of the springs with a pry bar . Still need to finish welding the brace on the front then cut some knuckle ball gussets and weld them on . hoping to get the rear done tomorrow as well .

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Got the front diff all welded up and painted earlier today .Had to cut some Knuckle gussets out of 3/8 . I made the upper one so I can mount the shock to it . then I took the stock u-bolt plates and cut the shock mount off then filled the cut out part with a piece of steel . Didn't take too many pics of that part I was trying to get a bunch done today .

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

After that a put it in the truck and bolted it up . Then I started building knuckles . I had a set of 6 shooter arms I'm going to use for now on stock knuckles . Everything went pretty smooth with that part and I ended up getting the hubs back on around 10:45 tonight . Still have a bunch to do but it should be back on it's wheels by tomorrow . I had to put one new wheel on so I could get a look at it . Pretty big . I wonder what my wife is gonna say ?

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

nice... thats a good looking bumper....
if you need a spare 60 tank i have one in the garage has the filler neck on it.... its yours if you need it...

coming together really quick... nice work...

Building it primarily for going back and forth to mt washington but probably use it for hunting and a little camping as well .

Starting to look more like a rock crawler than a ski machine. You do a lot of good work in a very short time. Good job.

Thanks for the comments . I'm enjoying the s*** out of this project right now . Did a solid 14 hours on it yesterday and was so excited about it last night I couldn't sleep . The front is almost completely done now . Just have to mount shocks and attach the brake line to the diff . Also have to figure out the drag link ? I used a stock tierod with 80 series ends on the trail gear arms and it worked out perfectly . Had to trim the ends of the threads on the joints but otherwise it seems like it was made for this mod . I cut the dust shields off and used some lines that skipped the backing plates . I'll try to take more pics of the front diff when it's all wrapped up .

Got it done last night about 3 am . Then went for a 2 hr drive up the canyon. everything seemed to work ok more testing and pics to follow . Holy s*** it's big .

After more driving today I've realized I have a bit of a vibration problem with the rear driveshaft . Gonna screw around a bit with pinion angle , maybe check the runout on the rear pinion flange (probably bent ) then go from there . Still have to mount the ford towers and redo the upper towers in the back so I can put a longer shock on there but otherwise all is good . Driving at 120km (by the speedo) I let go of the steering wheel

IMG_1425.jpg

Looking good mang....

Vibration could be a simple worn ujoint?:beer:

Rob

Got some ford towers installed and managed to squeeze a set of 12" shocks in the back as well . Going to make a new rear shaft this morning and get it balanced at western . I spun the rear end last night on the hoist and it has a bent flange or pinion as well . Trying to get some parts for one of my broken detroits so I can re-gear it with new 4.88's . Also started working towards the turbo . Got the flange adapter and the exhaust flange cut at karnage fab yesterday on his plasma table . I pick up the new manifold next week . Still need to make a decision about an intercooler then decide how much to move the rad . I'm hoping to suff it in front .

IMG_1431.jpg

Nice having all that room under the hood, intercooler should fit pretty easy...

Rob

I found a little intercooler . Managed to squeeze it in front of the rad behind the grill . I'm hoping I can slide the batteries over tight to the fenders than I should be able to plumb it straight into the intake and out of the turbo with not too many turns . 2-1/2 " is the tubing size .

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

Looks good.

I was able to shoe-horn the AC, Rad, intercooler and the cold weather blind in there but I did have to move the rad back a bit. I ran my intercooler tubes under the batteries but I did toy with the idea of going beside the batteries. I had a recovery tank thingy for the AC to deal with which was a pain and ultimately decide my tube routing.

As I'm sure you know the addition of an intercooler is the icing on the cake for a turbo 3B. EGT's become a non-issue for the conservatively tuned.

Are you thinking? A ~10psi "one turn of the fuel" tune or a Max. fuel setting block the wast gate kind of tune?

Gonna leave the waste gate closed and turn the fuel up and see how much boost the turbo I have will make . Conservative is probably not the word I would use for the amount of power I will hopefully be able to make . 3b's are cheap around here . We'll see I guess ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom