Sizes: trans cooler hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a slow ATF leak at the trans cooler behind the radiator.

I'm not by the rig right now

Anybody know the size of hose and what length I would need to do both inlet/outlet?

Also are the hoses clamped onto the fittings or is it more complicated than I imagine?

Could the cooler itself be leaking or is that pretty rare?

Bonus q: What size vacuum lines for the engine bay and what length should I get of each?

Thanks

This is what I used, it was in bulk from NAPA. I'd recommend replacing all of the trans cooler hoses at once.

Gates Transmission Oil Cooler Hose 3/8"

1589395868203.png

Technically the Toyota hoses are 10mm ID but close enough to 3/8" which
is 9.5mm and works. IME you often can't reuse the original clamps as
the aftermarket hoses have a different OD (narrower) compared to the Toyota hoses, so the original clamp might not be snug enough.

When replacing some of the formed hoses you might get a kink using bulk hose so one option is to search for formed hoses from other vehicles and try to make
them work.

Your question about vacuum hoses is too broad, which hoses, where??
Your local Toyota dealer can order the specific parts for you.

The smallest vacuum hoses are also metric and AFAIK still available as a bulk hose from Toyota that you can cut to length.

Try the search function, upper right any page magnifying glass icon;
key words hose+vacuum+part+number (for example) and choose This Forum.

Most everything has been discussed many times over the years.

Bonus q: What size vacuum lines for the engine bay and what length should I get of each?
Just as an FYI the small vacuum hoses used in the engine bay are metric in size, not SAE. Most auto parts stores will try to sell you SAE hose, don't buy it, it's just a little to big to fit tight thereby causing vacuum leaks. The size you need IIRR is 3.5 MM, buy at least 15 feet in bulk, then cut to fit. You'll be able to find bulk metric hose at auto parts stores that mainly just sell import car parts.

I did search the topic and I didn't even know there are 2 coolers. Also noted the junction could have rusted.

Will replace all, and I'm realllly hoping it's not the barb fittings or hard lines leaking

Could the cooler itself be leaking or is that pretty rare?

its possible but not super common, it happens when the hardware for the cooler is upper crusty and rusty. start simple and replace the lines, get 5 ft or so and cut to length as it is the same size for ps line for when they need to be replaced

Found this on ebay, it's the right length and right price for sure. However, the labelling is different from what @ZackR posted. His reads "Gates" with the trademark symbol, this hose reads "The Gates Corporation"

Both are rated for 400psi, am I missing something and is buying hose off ebay not a wise move?

Gates TOC.png

I personally would just go down to NAPA and pick some up. Then you know its the real deal and you can specify the length you need.

The biggest concern, after size (which I personally agree should be metric), is fluid compatibility.You do not want ATF eating a hose many miles away from home. And ATF will eat a lot (that's why I use it to remove rust).

For me, if I was going to replace leak critical connections with inch size fittings, I'd use inch hoses. Same goes for replacing metric hose. You have to make the risk/reward evaluation yourself and determine exactly what you're saving.

For anyone on the same hunt for the Gates hose that I’ve been on, this hose is now made in Mexico, no longer in the US.

Additionally it has an SAE rating of 100r6, no longer J1019. I’ve been reading about the difference and I’m getting varying degrees of different info, mostly about the working temp rating. The Gates website says 275F with the ability to handle up to 300F. But I’ve also read lower numbers for 100r6 elsewhere.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm having trouble tracking down which hose is leaking from the FSM or other diagrams. It looks like it is just leaking at the end. Best guess is the AT oil cooler hose, right behind the radiator on the US passenger side. Photo is looking up through the under cover. Can anyone confirm or correct? Thanks!
PXL_20220311_182815924~2.jpg

Appears that you're in the wrong forum (this is the 80 series forum), is your LC a 1999 100 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom