Size matters? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you! I was thinking of going with 4" 35's and honestly wondering about how to choose gear ratio... I would like to stay as light as possible. However it's easier said than done, as I found out on the Appalachian Trail... not currently towing, but in the future may want to have a teardrop style camper or the airstream nest. I have a 30Ft. 1971 airstream but have no plans of moving it. Thanks for the info!!
I went with 4.88 gears. I do a lot of highway/road trips and the RPM's are just slightly higher than stock. It'll never be a sports sedan, but she gets along nicely.

I had 35” X-Terrains on my LX450 with OME suspension. No complaints here with stock gears.

3EE44820-9F7E-41F8-A1D9-D2C06BB182A3.png

Caster, not camber.
My bad - thanks for the correction! I'll edit my post.
Thank you! I was thinking of going with 4" 35's and honestly wondering about how to choose gear ratio... I would like to stay as light as possible. However it's easier said than done, as I found out on the Appalachian Trail... not currently towing, but in the future may want to have a teardrop style camper or the airstream nest. I have a 30Ft. 1971 airstream but have no plans of moving it. Thanks for the info!!
That's why I went with the 5.29's - I'm planning on towing a teardrop style while overlanding. I do have higher rpm's on roadtrips now, and since my winter tires are 33", even higher - but it's a trade off that I can live with.

If your set on running 35's or 315's there really isn't much benefit going to a 17 inch wheel. Everything that is available in 17 with that diameter will be available to you for 16 inch wheels. The main advantage I see of going with 17's is that in a few sizes, and manufacturers (none of them bigger than 33) you can get a C load range tire. It is getting increasingly difficult to find a C range tire these days unless you drop to a 265 width.

Hi everyone! I am looking at a 4" kit from Ironman and considering, do I need to add the extras such as adjustable Upper and Lower trailing arms, steering damper, and caster bushings kit? Or anything extra to lift kit that I might need to be dialed in? Thanks in advance!

Do not buy the caster bushings. Get caster plates if doing 4" lift or better yet get the Delta front radius arms. No need for adjustable upper or lower links. You can add later if you find they are something you want. Consider the rear Delta panhard drop. Yes consider the steering damper as well.

Do not buy the caster bushings. Get caster plates if doing 4" lift or better yet get the Delta front radius arms. No need for adjustable upper or lower links. You can add later if you find they are something you want. Consider the rear Delta panhard drop. Yes consider the steering damper as well.
Thanks! In the kit, there are caster correction plates, so are the caster bushings not advised? Here is the kit I'm looking at:

https://ironman4x4america.com/80-series-land-cruiser-4-foam-cell-pro-suspension-kit-lhd/

Thanks! In the kit, there are caster correction plates, so are the caster bushings not advised? Here is the kit I'm looking at:

https://ironman4x4america.com/80-series-land-cruiser-4-foam-cell-pro-suspension-kit-lhd/

Yes, that is a kit that will provide a good lift and has a lot of necessary parts. If you do searches here for what is required to make a 4" lift work, you will learn the most that way. This includes brake lines extended, trimming rear flares, adjusting LSPV, front drive shaft options etc.

Hands down my favorite riding lift. I had it on my last 80 with the foam cell shocks and just loved the ride quality. I haven't been in another 80 yet that I thought rode better (including those with slinky's, Dobinsons, Radflo's, Icons, Fox, OME, etc). The ride quality on and offroad is just great.
I am ordering this kit 4" pro foam cell, just wanted to determine what I would need outside of what comes in the kit, if you have a minute to discuss... thanks ALL!

I am ordering this kit 4" pro foam cell, just wanted to determine what I would need outside of what comes in the kit, if you have a minute to discuss... thanks ALL!

That looks pretty complete to me. Double check that everything is there when you get it. The last couple of times I've gotten things from Ironman (Metaltech) a few things were missing. They'll immediately send you whatever is missing, but double check to be sure.
I didn't catch it, but what size tire do you plan on running? I ran 39.5 Iroks (minor trimming), but wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 37 for a 4" lift.

Last edited:
That looks pretty complete to me. Double check that everything is there when you get it. The last couple of times I've gotten things from Ironman (Metaltech) a few things were missing. They'll immediately send you whatever is missing, but double check to be sure.
I didn't catch it, but what size tire do you plan on running? I ran 39.5 Iroks (minor trimming), but wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 37 for a 4" lift.
I was planning on 35’s at least.. so you are saying 37 is ideal or recommended minimum? what would be prob in 35? I want ironman but there is only 2-4-6”

I was planning on 35’s at least.. so you are saying 37 is ideal or recommended minimum? what would be prob in 35? I want ironman but there is only 2-4-6”
A 2" lift is plenty for 35's. With the bump stop spacers, you'll have plenty of travel without rubbing, especially with 35's. More lift doesn't necessarily mean gains in articulation.
If not included with the lift, I would get the caster correction plates separately. I found the bushings didn't provide enough correction on the rig I had with 35's and ~2" lift.
37's opens up a small can o' worms in regards to some things you definitely need, like new front axle shafts (you will break stock shafts with 37's, I guarantee it), but otherwise, IMO, 37's are just awesome on an 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom