Simple, Low $$ storage solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
I made this today, took about 5 hours including 2 runs to ACE for the fasteners and stuff.
3/4 plywood, galv L brkt and some storage bins that slide in.
Cost about $100.
It sits about 1/2" below the top of the tailgate, I still have enough height for my future ARB fridge to sit on top. When I finish my rear bumper the tire will move outside. The ports right behind the seat are to let my subs pound(thats what the box is underneath the deck).
I decided against trying to make an actual drawer setup for 2 reasons, this was much easier and much lighter.

Some pics
DSC00880.jpg
DSC00882.jpg
DSC00884.jpg

Couple more pics :cheers:
DSC00883.jpg
DSC00885.jpg
DSC00886.jpg

How is your tire mounted and held down? That could be really dangerous in a panic stop or accident.

mooker82 said:
How is your tire mounted and held down? That could be really dangerous in a panic stop or accident.

I went out later after taking those pics and solved that problem. I have a D-ring bolted to the deck and a metal plate, then a strap thru the rim to keep it still. Got it covered! :cheers:

It would be a lot easier to make the 2nd one thats for sure Kevin. My brain wasn't on all cylinders when I cut the top deck. I made it to fit nearly perfect once inside. Only problem was then I couldn't get it in the truck :frown: I trimmed about 2" off both sides then I could angle it in. :cool:
I took it on trip today, about 200 miles round trip. Alittle bit of wheeling, all with the dog and her blanket on the deck next to the tire. Those storage boxes underneath have less than 1/4" clearance but when I hit some good bumps the contents inside jumped a little. Otherwise, all good. :bounce2:

I'm doing something very similar & using speaker carpet on the inside to deaden jostling items. Don't know if it will work, but I had some extra carpet lying around.

Hey Alvin,
Looks good. You should have seen what my 'system' this weekend. Taking the fam on o/n trips sure does require a bunch of crap. We have got to get the tires out of the back :D .

Oh yea, your miss out this weekend :flipoff2:.

Ross

Storage solution - finished!

I spent a week looking at my new deck and decided it need something else. So, for another $30 I added 6 tie down points and carpet.

Pics
DSC00920.jpg
DSC00925.jpg
DSC00926.jpg

I'll come over and check it out tomorrow, looks great.

Ross

what's the little high lift for?

z80 said:
what's the little high lift for?

I haven't yet figured that out, my superior skills as a driver have prevented me from ever using it:D

Quick rundown on the material list

1 sheet 4'x8' 3/4" plywood. The main deck is 55" wide x 42" deep with the rear corners cut off to fit with the rear pillar. The uprights are 2ea 13"x36" and 1ea 12"x13" support for in the middle.
2ea L bracket 39" long. I used the 4 tie down hook points to mount these to the floor. I slit the carpet and layed the short side of the L bracket under the carpet. I had to get longer bolts and extra washers(for spacers under the bracket) to mount these to the floor.
I used 1/4" x 1" bolts and 1/4" x 5/16" tee nuts to secure the uprights to the L bracket. and 1/2" wood screws with some roofing V brackets to secure the deck to the uprights then some 1-1/2" thin wood screws thru the deck into the uprights.
6ea 1/4" u-bolts with 1-1/4" fender washers and teflon locknuts.
2 rolls of automotive repair carpet and some 3M multi-purpose adhesive spray and stapled underneath the edges.
The storage boxes I ordered from C&H Distributors. My work has an acct with them so I got them at a discount. They are HDPE with stainless hinges.

I wheeled the holy crap out of it a couple days ago and everything is holding together well. I did however pretty much trash that wind deflector on the back of the rig and almost tore off my firestix antenna. Seriously tight trail with a lot of LOW hanging trees

:cheers:

MaddBaggins said:
I haven't yet figured that out, my superior skills as a driver have prevented me from ever using it:D

Good answer.................

reffug said:
Good answer.................

bad answer. in all seriousness, a 48" high lift is useless in most situations. At least on the trail. It may be tall enough on a dirt road, but that's about it.

z80 said:
bad answer. in all seriousness, a 48" high lift is useless in most situations. At least on the trail. It may be tall enough on a dirt road, but that's about it.

I understand what your saying John, but for me, at the extreme end I run 3.5 rated trails and I'm not scared to take bypasses or stack rocks. In 3+ years of carrying that jack I have never needed it. If I ever get into a situation where I need to break it out, I feel confident I can make it work. One way or another.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

z80 said:

Please explain? I have a 48" highlift in my 40 and have never been in a situation where it would not do the job req'd.

yeah what he said!! really i have a 60" and the couple times i used most of it it bent, more than once, but its easy to straighten so its no biggie.

10 year old bump...
I've been looking for a bare bone no frills platform and finally found it here.
Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom