Similarities in drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tubalubb

what do you mean by "put it back together"?
Threads
Hi gang.
I typically spend time in the 40 and 80 forum so I’m not new to Mud but I am new on this forum. I saw a really nice looking 81 4x4 pickup the other day and thought about getting it for my son.
I’m intimately familiar with the FJ40. I rebuilt the transfer case and transmission on my 78 and have worked on the truck frequently.
is the pickup a similar build quality and easy to work on? I assume from all my 80’s movie scenes with kc lights that it is a capable vehicle with aftermarket lift stuff available if he wanted to do some wheeling? It looks pretty stout.
Thanks for any thoughts or pointers.
Tub

Front axle is nearly identical, as far as servicing. All those I have owned ('79 and '82 long bed) rode worse than my FJ40 (by far). Big turning radius. The 22R engines have their own set of issues/characteristics, so read up on those. These are so old that aftermarket parts are not abundant any longer, so many lift kits are home-brewed, from what I see. I have not had the trans/xfer apart, but the should be similar in many ways.

Thank you.
Two more questions:
Is the chassis of the long bed longer or is it just the longer bed on the same length chassis?
Also the seller says this is a deluxe. I can’t find mention of that package on the internet. Does anyone know what that means?

Deluxe is a trim level, probably impacted some options like paint or power steering - but that’s just a guess.

Drivetrain will be light duty on the mintrucks, and won’t share much with the 40. Transmissions will be of the L, G, or W variety rather than the H in the cruisers. Like Steve said the axles are close to 60s and later year 40s but not at all identical. A few things are different like solid rotors, smaller calipers, TRE diameter, boomerang steering arm, torque rod, 8” diff, smaller housing, and so on. But yes the rebuild kit is the same parts and the knuckles, birfs, etc swap over. My 40 is running a lot of mini truck parts on the front from my disk brake swap.

Maybe it’s just me but my 40 rides much worse than my leaf sprung hilux.

Rear axle is very different, it is SF but no C-clips. Rear driveline is centered.

Transfer case is VERY different, no split case. It can actually pretty easily be removed from the truck as a unit, much easier.

The Deluxe model was marketing BS. Power steering was as add on option on the Deluxe trim level.
Toyoya Deluxe.JPG

I think mine is a Deluxe with manual steering and vinyl floor covering. SR5 is the true upscale desired trim level.

If this truck were blue.....and really really rusty it would be my deluxe truck.

4 X 4 Deluxe I.JPG

4 X 4 Deluxe II.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom