side moldings (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well folks,

Turns out M230 Matte Grey Aluminum is absolutely fantastic on those mouldings that Toyota woul call color code UCA46, Light Greyish Beige Mettalic.

Wow I am tickled because I paid under 15 bucks and I'm doing it myself! :D

I did go pick up some brand-new X-Acto knife blades at the hobby shop a little while ago to help with the trimming.

Turns out that the sheet being 1'x5' works great. I cut barely over an 1-1/8" of which to test on the two front pieces because those are the short ones and I could sit down and go slow.

It's actually kind of nice because you can pull and if need be slightly stretch the vinyl as you slowly peel back the backing that covers the adhesive and you can form it into the corner where you need to and just take your time and slowly trim.

How about a before and after!

The slight line that you see on the after photo on the very front of the molding is a reflection.

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

Last edited:
Well folks,

Turns out M230 Matte Grey Aluminum is absolutely fantastic on those mouldings that Toyota woul call color code UCA46, Light Greyish Beige Mettalic.

Wow I am tickled because I paid under 15 bucks and I'm doing it myself! :D

I did go pick up some brand-new X-Acto knife blades at the hobby shop a little while ago to help with the trimming.

Turns out that the sheet being 1'x5' works great. I cut barely over an 1-1/8" of which to test on the two front pieces because those are the short ones and I could sit down and go slow.

It's actually kind of nice because you can pull and if need be slightly stretch the vinyl as you slowly peel back the backing that covers the adhesive and you can form it into the corner where you need to and just take your time and slowly trim.

How about a before and after!

The slight line that you see on the after photo on the very front of the molding is a reflection.

View attachment 1500697

View attachment 1500699

Did you have to clean the area at all? I am in the process of doing this but Im having to take off all the orginal that is bubbling annd what not.... any tips for doing this?

Started the process last night of removing mine to refinish them, It appears that mine had two sizes of tape on most and a third size of thicker tape on the little one behind the passenger door. Doing the drivers side tonight and hopefully it will go faster. That old adhesive is terrible to clean up. Ill be picking up a 3M eraser for my drill today. I have new yellow clips, but need the white ones, and was able to save the red? ones for the rear most molding. I didn't know the gray paint code, so had them scan it and make me a custom mix aerosol. With proper prep and clear it should look 100% better and even if its off a little, all the trim will be the same color.

Passenger side molding 1.jpg
Passenger side molding gone.jpg

OEM part numbers for the various clips?

thread resurrection:
Soooo, after wondering if I could just delete the trim without too much cost/trouble (answer: no), I decided to just paint it body color. Bought some color-match spraypaint at the local auto parts store (not enough--turns out I'd need two 8 oz cans per side), removed PS trim, wet sanded, and painted.
What a pain in the rear end--removing the tape from the trim and from the car, even with an eraser wheel, was not a super-quick process. Will be painting the driver's side trim on the truck as soon as we get a day over 60 when I'm off. But pretty pleased with the result.

Before and after pics:

CD597D62-72E3-4BC4-8314-533BC64C4149.jpeg

C43EB4D6-1492-4BB8-808C-00C24EAAAAE3.jpeg

Interesting.

What did everyone use to remove the trip? Specialty tool or just pull it off? Did anyone use primer when they painted the trip?

Interesting.

What did everyone use to remove the trip? Specialty tool or just pull it off? Did anyone use primer when they painted the trip?

I just used regular old olastic trim removal tools—didn’t even cut the adhesive like the FSM advises. Just got an end in and started working down the trim. Then lots of time with an eraser wheel cleaning old adhesive off everything.
didn’t prime the trim since it already had paint on it, which I just wet sanded with 400 grit.

I paid a body shop $200 to paint them all body color with clearcoat, looks great. The sticker would not stick for me and is a temp fix anyway.

OEM part numbers for the various clips?
Old thread, I know. Did you ever find the part numbers for those clips? I need them for the rear LH quarter panel and have been pouring over diagrams to try and find them. I think there's more than one type by the looks of it. I emailed a few places as well. Figure this is my last shot. Thanks!

Three kinds of clips.

Not sure if that link'll work, but just search any site for side moldings and pull up a parts diagram. . .

Looks like they're 9046712073 (three or four of these), 9046712075 (7 or eight of these), and 9046712072 (two of those, I believe).

I only bought 12075s and was able to reuse almost all the clips--was fine with just a couple 12075 spares.

Three kinds of clips.

Not sure if that link'll work, but just search any site for side moldings and pull up a parts diagram. . .

Looks like they're 9046712073 (three or four of these), 9046712075 (7 or eight of these), and 9046712072 (two of those, I believe).

I only bought 12075s and was able to reuse almost all the clips--was fine with just a couple 12075 spares.
Thanks Mdcoa!
That helped! Looks like I need 12073 and 12072 for that rear piece. I think i might get a little Gorilla double sided tape for added support. Thank you very much!

Thanks Mdcoa!
That helped! Looks like I need 12073 and 12072 for that rear piece. I think i might get a little Gorilla double sided tape for added support. Thank you very much!

Not familiar with 2-sided gorilla tape--if it's just two-sided duct tape, maybe grab some 3m two sided tape--I used the below--FSM says tape at the top and bottom of each trim piece.

Amazon product ASIN B00JR4D70K

Look good man. What color was the 3m vinyl? Looks pretty close to thunder cloud 1d2.
It is 3M 1080 M230 Matte Gray Aluminum. My side moldings made it look old and tired. The 3M was a great upgrade but would probably try and color match to the bumpers instead of the reflective inserts on the old moldings. I’ll see how long this holds up and redo with a darker grey when needed. Otherwise I was impressed with the ~$30 + my own time to upgrade the looks.

I have to replace my right rear side molding after some off highway adventures resulted in this piece going missing. So I wanted to share some of the experience in the hope that it will help others. The red molding clips turn 90 degrees and can be carefully removed intact. I could not turn the white clips without damaging them. You can also see from this picture that the one hole on the right is square instead of a rectangle (which removes any advantage you could gain by turning it anyway).
FC8D4DAE-165D-4EA3-924C-03001793627E.jpeg

The new trim piece that I ordered from the dealer came with all four new clips and the tape pre-installed on the molding, so I didn’t have to order the new clips or buy tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom