Should Rear Mud Flaps Be Re-Installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might wanna check local laws. I know in Denver you need mudflaps on and fenders to cover half the tread.

Not sure what your municipality will call for.

Hey Shotgun,
any idea if SOA is legal in Boulder??? I have not seen any SOA LC's in Boulder. Still looking forward to seeing your rig, I want to check out your rear bumper fab for ideas.

my mud flaps seem like the birth place of much rust... It would be cool to get the old 'sylvester sam' "get off my back" flaps. Or the 'chrome lady' flaps seen on larger trucks.

Just checked. For Virginia,

No person shall operate on a highway any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles having a licensed gross weight in excess of 40,000 pounds unless the motor vehicle or combination of vehicles is equipped with rear fenders, flaps, or guards of sufficient size to substantially prevent the projection of rocks, dirt, water, or other substances to the rear. Vehicles used exclusively for hauling logs and tractor trucks shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.​

I know for me, driving a fair number of gravel roads, mud flaps offer rock chip protection for the paint immediately behind the wheels...

Also, given that I go through about a windshield a winter in my pickup (knock on wood, not on my 60 so far), I appreciate other cars with mud flaps! Oregon DOT uses gravel for icy conditions and all winter long you'll be taking "gunfire" with other cars throwing gravel...

Hey Bart,

When I got my 60 the rear flaps were already off. I am debating on whether to take the fronts off and leave them all off. Personal thing. I don't think it looks bad either way. I am sure there is an argument for keeping them on though. :)

Hey Von, my quarters are shot too! Whaddya do? Have them built? Buy aftermarket partials, or go used?
I'm weighing all three options. My rust goes just about to the first indent line of the panel, so I don't need to go all the way up. Interested in seeing before and after pix if you got them.

Thanks

Nick

Shotgun -

As a (really) old Denver native I've never heard of the mudflap law. Remember when your car had to have 4" ground clearance, though.

Hey Shotgun,
any idea if SOA is legal in Boulder??? I have not seen any SOA LC's in Boulder. Still looking forward to seeing your rig, I want to check out your rear bumper fab for ideas.

my mud flaps seem like the birth place of much rust... It would be cool to get the old 'sylvester sam' "get off my back" flaps. Or the 'chrome lady' flaps seen on larger trucks.

I believe they are as I've seen bigger lifted vehicles driving around, but you might check with the Sheriff/Police as i've only lived up here since August. Just send me a PM if you want to get together to shoot the s***, i'm up here all the time and if i'm not in school or work im always down to talk with fellow cruiser owners.

Shotgun -

As a (really) old Denver native I've never heard of the mudflap law. Remember when your car had to have 4" ground clearance, though.

I could have pulled that one out of my ass, maybe something I misread elsewhere.

PUT MUDFLAPS ON!!!! Ever driven behind someone with muddies on that don't have mud flaps??? Personally I get the F**K out the way, its just a simple courtesy to other road users not to mention your buddy who's in convoy behind you.

STONE CHIPS SUCK!!!!!

x2 on keeping mud flaps on.
I have lost too many a windshield from drivers who did not!

Hey Von, my quarters are shot too! Whaddya do? Have them built? Buy aftermarket partials, or go used?
I'm weighing all three options. My rust goes just about to the first indent line of the panel, so I don't need to go all the way up. Interested in seeing before and after pix if you got them.

Thanks

Nick

I think that it is going to depend on how bad your rust is and your body guy. The guy I use built the quarters himself, was reasonably priced, and did top-notch work. You get the wrong guy though and you can have a disaster on your hands. I think the right body guy will also tell you if it is not worth saving.

Use the bracket to install some simple flat flaps using the original holes. Much easier to clean and won't trap the sludge.

Ok, Ok, Ok I'll get some too... Very good point.

I can't imagine the any type of SOA could be illagal, as almost every new pickup today is built from the factory as SOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom