Should I Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=5190;start=msg40580#msg40580 date=1063379975]
A few thoughts on the 100.

1) My Brother in Law has two a 1999 and 2001. I have driven the 99 a bit and it is really a great road car. If I were to buy another LC, it would be one of these (I may buy his when he sells).

2) The 1999 is faster than the 2001. There is something with the Traction Control on the 2001 that slows it out of the hole.

3) The 100 is really superior on the road to the 80.

4) The deficit from IFS off roading is really overblown. On the Rubicon, it will not work as well as a solid axle. For 99% of off roading, it works fine. The only difference is you will spend more time with one front tire off the ground. The most important things in my opinion are still approach, departure and breakover angles. I can get up things in my Pathfinder that I can't in the Cruiser because I can take different lines with the better clearance. Do remember my 80 is stock.

Cary
[/quote]I agree with this post 100%. I would go for one without traction control. I've driven neither.

My dogs love my rear slider windows in the 80 series :D

site1008.jpg

I second cruiserman.

But I have no desire to own a 100. (wait til you get a valve adju$tment and a timing belt replacment ::)
To adust the valves requires removal of all 4 cam$.
The $park plugs are $12.49 each.

I don't know where all this extra POWER is coming from?
Here are the specs of a 1998 V8 Land Cruiser.

4.7-liter, 8-cylinder, 32-valve, V-type double-overhead cam, EFI, cast iron block with aluminum alloy head
4.7l/4663cc
9.8:1
4-valve/cylinder
230 HP @ 4800 RPM
320 lb.-ft @3400 RPM
Electronic
EFI
Unleaded Premium

(NOTICE it says PREMIUM :eek:)

Here is an 80

Power is supplied by an inline six-cylinder of 4.5 liters, and it's a very rugged item, delivering 212 hp at 4600 rpm and 275 pound-feet of torque at 3200. Nearly 90% of its torque is available as low as 1400 rpm; it's equally capable for an Interstate highway cruise or walking-pace slogging through mud. The four-speed automatic transmission has a second-gear start feature for use on slick surfaces.

A difference of 17HP......Wow :eek:

With a turbo on the inline 6 Over 300 ponies..... :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Yomama

The rear sliding windows is something I miss on my 100. The dog really miss's them. I wonder if I could switch them out.

As far as maintenance, there are far more v8 tundra's, v8 sequioa's and v8 4runners then there will ever be '93 to '97 Land Cruisers. More v8s should mean less expensive maintenance.

uzj100

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5190;start=msg40588#msg40588 date=1063382109]
I second cruiserman.

But I have no desire to own a 100. (wait til you get a valve adju$tment and a timing belt replacment ::)
To adust the valves requires removal of all 4 cam$.
The $park plugs are $12.49 each.
[/quote]

Hey Cdan -

How about replacing the starter!!!***

That is why for now I am sticking with an 80 - I can still work on it....

Jim

*** For those that don't know, you have to pull the intake to get to the starter! Several hours of work and a gasket kit....

Yup,

The starter is UNDER the intake manifold, in between the cylinder heads.

V8 timing belt 13568-59095 $48.07, labor 5 hours x $78.00 = $390.00

12Sep2003 (UTC -7)

This topic is an FAQ :) The shortest answer is "horses for courses".

If you don't have plans on going with tyres taller than 33", the UZJ-100 will be your best bet. It accelerates, slalom, *and* brakes way better than an FZJ-80. For a family man who takes the wife and kids on- and off-road long distance trips, these are the most important factors (the rear aircon is a big plus too). Additionally, since it's a newer vehicle and likely has less mileage, you'll have less maintenance issues to initially deal with (i.e. heater hose, full-floater axle re-pack, starter contacts, brakes, etc.). Oh yeah, if you're a driver who's taller than 6 ft, the UZJ-100 is much more comfy.

The stumbling block to the UZJ-100 is price. It's more expensive than the FZJ-80, and it'll cost way more to properly shod it with 35+" tyres. Upgrading to heavier duty torsion bars (only choice right now is Sway-A-Way) is much more pricey than with coils for FZJ-80, lowering the diffs is still not a package deal, r&p gears are still "not there yet", and so on. Additionally, since many are not so intimately familiar with the UZJ-100 yet (both in driving and DIY jobs), they maybe afraid to go check it out, but instead stick to what they know --I don't blame them, many engineers have that mindset it seems.

Otherwise, they're both the same when it comes to off-roading capability and for their legendary Araco reliability and quality. They're also the same when it comes to interior dimensions from the middle seat to the cargo area. Aftermarket support is great too, with ARB fr/rr lockers, bullbars and Kaymar bumpers, Slee sliders, same tyre selections, Long Ranger aux fuel tanks, Garmin GPS'es, TRD superchargers, Safari snorkels, OME shocks & coils, etc.

P.S. The premium gasoline for the UZJ-100 is a recommendation only. It can run well on regular gas, but the 2UZ-FE engine management system can take advantage of 91 octane by advancing the timing ang producing more power. Needless to say, my addiction dictate 91 octane :D

P.P.S. As for the looks of FZJ-80 vs. UZJ-100, it's like asking what's prettier: an FJ-55 or an FJ-60? ::)

I have driven the 2000 LC and LX470 as well as the GX470 (4Runner platform), and I do not care for either one at all, (sorry if I am offending anyone).

I would agree if most of your use is On-Road then, the 100 series in the way to go, but I will never trade my LX450 for either one, even my wife does not care for the ride in the other ones, I have seen and tested them over sand and there are no face of comparison between them and the 80.

Live axle is the reason I bought the 80, I looked at the 100 series LC and Lexus LX470 at the time I bought mine but I opted for the 80 because of the Off-Road capabilities.

I think it is a matter of preference and use, I have 95.5K mile on the ODO and I am looking forward to have it read 300K.

Good luck in your decision.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom