Should I trade the 80 for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pm me if you are interested in selling your 80. ;)

Well from the guy that had an 80 for 5 years in non dd status I was not in the exact same place. But I am selling my 80 and kept the 40. I do not DD my 40 and when I bought it, I knew I would not be DD ing it, I had the 80 for a long time, It was very good to me and I loved it, I bought it with the intention of having a capable wheeler/camping rig and it served as a DD off and on for the first 3 years I had it, hell I went through 4 other DD cars while I had the 80. The 40 is more fun to wheel, More challenging to wheel and quite frankly I just dig it. The wife does not enjoy going wheeling so it was usually just me and the kid driving around in it, The 40 fits better for this.

That said I have hauled a trailer with my KTM on it with the 40 and the 80, The 80 is 10000x better hauler than the 40.

Dave

If you want a 4x4 that you can daily drive with an open top, a Rubicon Unlimited JK is the choice. Quad coil, long wheelbase, jk features...probably the most capable underlying platform ever factory produced.

How anybody could possibly be tempted by a FJC over the RU JK is so far beyond me. The only place the FJC is better is a silly colors contest.

With a 40, you will be less capable, way less reliable, way less comfortable. But also way less conformist. Not sure that's worth the pain - unless you love old iron and the pain it necessarily doles out, of course.

If I had two kids instead of four, I don't know how I'd resist the Unlimited JK. More interior room than a Cherokee, huge drool factor on a simple lift and 35's, hardtop/softtop convertibility, cushy modern quad coil onroad ride, pull the doors when you want, massive offroad capability with just a lift and tires. No stupid colors. It just doesn't say Toyota (which means you get a lifetime drivetrain warranty and probably some cash back).

Well said... I agree, it's a great third vehicle. We have kids, and three cruisers here at the house. a FZJ80, FJ62, and the 3FE40. The kids love the Fj40 and it's a blast to drive. We drive it on the weekend to soccer games and around the neighborhood. But if we have any place to go as a family - we take the FZJ80. My wife won't drive the Fj40, she can't drive stick yet, and it still has a few bugs left to work out. Just a few weeks ago I put 500 miles on the fj40 going to LSLC round up, and to Dallas. Then Just a few days ago I was stuck on the free way about two miles from my house because of a blown fuse. Iam not ready to trust a FJ40 yet as my daily driver. But....having said that - I drive the fj40 more than the FZJ80 these days. ;)

That is it. I had a 40 and currently am on my second 80 (with three 62's in between). The 40 is a super fun vehicle and I will have another someday. It is not the least bit practical if you are going to drive any number of miles. It's also not a good family vehicle. I don't feel safe with my kids in the jump seats. The 80 is a comfortable modern vehicle.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for. If it were a 3rd vehicle that was just for fun for you a 40 might be perfect.

80 + 40 = 120

NO!

(80 + 40) ÷ 2 = 60 :D

Seriously, I would keep the locked 80 and patiently look for a 40 which would serve your needs, while saving some $$$ along the way.

Good luck!

great replies everyone.

Well as I said I say it is my daily driver however my work commute it 48 miles round trip so I use my motorcycle most of the time. Also, I'm 26, fresh out of college, no family/kids, but fresh outta college means no money to blow on 3 vehicles.

I hate the conformist look...I live in a neighborhood that was built in the 1920s-30s with pier and beam because I prefer that over the cookie cutter neighborhoods poppin up everyone. I like the 80 cause not everyone has one. Who knows what I'll do...I've wanted a 40 since I was 16. I've bought 2 and a half 40s LOL. 1 was for parts but they were all too big of projects while I was in college.

Would you be able to get a 40 in the condition you're gonna be happy with if you sold your 80?

There's a chance that you would have to throw in additional $$$ if you want one in a great condition which you would probably want to keep for a long time.

Would you part with the 40 if your get married, have kids, and your wife does not have a child-friendly vehicle (4dr)???

I would just find a chick who drives a 40.:D
Or sell the 80, get a 40, then look for a babe who has an 80, 100, or FJC or something.:hillbilly:

great replies everyone.

Well as I said I say it is my daily driver however my work commute it 48 miles round trip so I use my motorcycle most of the time. Also, I'm 26, fresh out of college, no family/kids, but fresh outta college means no money to blow on 3 vehicles.

I hate the conformist look...I live in a neighborhood that was built in the 1920s-30s with pier and beam because I prefer that over the cookie cutter neighborhoods poppin up everyone. I like the 80 cause not everyone has one. Who knows what I'll do...I've wanted a 40 since I was 16. I've bought 2 and a half 40s LOL. 1 was for parts but they were all too big of projects while I was in college.

If you are going to be driving to moab or baja get a 80. For more local wheeling
Rubicon/Dusy/local hills I would take the 40. If I had to give up either the 80 or the 40 it would be the 80.

Well, this is the time to buy and drive based on how you feel, versus how screwed you are :D

80's are great, amazing full size dual purpose vehicle, but they aren't that high on "pure fun in your 20's" scale in simple "fun to drive" quotient. Neither is a 40 that gets more wrenching than driving. 40's make good yard pretties, so get it a new paint job first :flipoff2:

I don't know how you could buy a 4x4 that would be more raw fun than a Rubi Unlimited jk, especially if you get to the beach.

So what is the output? If it is 40 ownership, you don't have much of a question. You love them and you want one, don't wait for 5 years, do it while you are single. If it is effortless soft top fun in a comfortable modern vehicle, then jk is beyond a no brainer.

Google Rubicon Unlimited jk and watch the you tube with the jk with the doors off. Just to see what it looks like vs. an FJC. And then decide which one is truly conformist, and which one contains everything wheelers have wanted for all these years out of the box.

When this is what Jeep is willing to produce from the factory, and FJC is what Toyota is willing to produce, once you get past the sales brochure the issue of conformity does not fall favorably for Toyota.

Edit: BTW, looks like Jeep is nearing bringing this out with a diesel putting out 230 hp and 390 lb/ft. Still want a FJC?

Last edited:
Not to open a can-o-worms, but I'll at least play devil's advocate here. First off you've got to assume you're going to get a slightly biased response from the 80 section. Secondly there are too many pansies in here if you think a 40 cannot be a decent daily driver. Will it compare to an 80 as a DD? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it can't be a darn good one. I daily drove my FJ40 for 8 straight years 60+ miles every single day and it was great. Really had no problems with it and genuinely enjoyed it. Then I'd drive it 4+ hours to Moab and wheel the snot out of it, and drive it 4+ hours back and then to work again on Monday.

It definitely helped to have things in good shape mechanically and the body was good on mine with new weather stripping. The suspension was set up well for the mixed use of wheeling and DD and I had some comfortable seats. I would DD an FJ40 again, no problem.

Here it is in it's typically daily driver modes.
profile.jpg

poser1-1.jpg

40 vrs 80

I just had to sell my 40 after 10 years of owning and wrenching. Of course there is no comparison to the looks and nostalgic feeling I used to get driving and wheeling my built smurf blue 40. However having just purchased a locked stock 80 I found myself needing $ for all the 80 parts.

Do I miss the 40, of course, do I love the 80, definately. The 80 is a better fit for me since the wife likes air conditioning and I can fit a car seet and all the gear for a newborn. Also the security and comfort in the 80 are second to none. The 40 not so much. Wish I could have kept both but with commuter car and motorcycle and the Califorina gas and insurance costs I could not justify 3 toys.

Only you can answer this question.

Box Rocket...why put pictures like that up when I am trying to make a decision like this!?!:steer:

I just had to sell my 40 after 10 years of owning and wrenching. Of course there is no comparison to the looks and nostalgic feeling I used to get driving and wheeling my built smurf blue 40. However having just purchased a locked stock 80 I found myself needing $ for all the 80 parts.

Do I miss the 40, of course, do I love the 80, definately. The 80 is a better fit for me since the wife likes air conditioning and I can fit a car seet and all the gear for a newborn. Also the security and comfort in the 80 are second to none. The 40 not so much. Wish I could have kept both but with commuter car and motorcycle and the Califorina gas and insurance costs I could not justify 3 toys.

Only you can answer this question.

True...

Additionally, I wouldn't call a 40 unsafe. With good bumpers they're great. I was rear ended hard in the 40 one day. Smashed the hood of the other car all the way back to the windshield. Only left a little paint on my rear bumper. My wife was also in a minor accident in the 40 with both our kids. Same story. Other car was trashed, and you couldn't even tell on the 40.

I will agree that the jumpseats maybe aren't the best setup. But there are lots of rear bench seat options that would be sweet with a little work. I had a conferr rear bench seat in mine and our two boys rode back there in there car seats for years. Including on the 4+ hour drives to Moab and back.

The stock seats aren't the most comfortable but find some aftermarket ones that you like it it changes things a lot.

Here's the seats I had. they definitely changed the comfort level for me.
seats2.jpg

Here's a couple shots of the boys chillin in the car seats. Rear facing seats when they were small and forward facing as they got bigger. No worries.
bjornnlean.jpg

Liamcarseat.jpg

Little trail tip for the kid that falls asleep. Keeps them from getting whiplash with their head flopping around while they sleep.:)
Bjornnsleep.jpg

Not to open a can-o-worms, but I'll at least play devil's advocate here. First off you've got to assume you're going to get a slightly biased response from the 80 section. Secondly there are too many pansies in here if you think a 40 cannot be a decent daily driver. Will it compare to an 80 as a DD? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it can't be a darn good one. I daily drove my FJ40 for 8 straight years 60+ miles every single day and it was great. Really had no problems with it and genuinely enjoyed it. Then I'd drive it 4+ hours to Moab and wheel the snot out of it, and drive it 4+ hours back and then to work again on Monday.

It definitely helped to have things in good shape mechanically and the body was good on mine with new weather stripping. The suspension was set up well for the mixed use of wheeling and DD and I had some comfortable seats. I would DD an FJ40 again, no problem.

Here it is in it's typically daily driver modes.
profile.jpg

poser1-1.jpg

Boom :lol: I've seen those pics before and it still looks good. :eek: I'm lucky I don't have to choose but don't bat an eye and driving either though for safety's sake the 80 is safer. I put one of my 40's on its side locking up the brakes and swerving to miss a very fortunate young lady that pulled out in front of me on a cell phone. She didn't even stop to thank me for saving her life she would have ate a 8274 through the drivers window. Even with using caution and putting around idiots can come out of no where.

Adam,nice 40 man! That one is built perfect,if he can get one that nice,then I would do it.Of corse it's nice to have both! Mine has not run for 8-years,waiting for a new engine.We picked up the 80,wile the 40 was down& I have not been albe to get back to it! Built 80's are great also,took 8-yrs.to build mine.
I don't know why that guy keeps talking about j**p's on a LC website,the rubicons are nice but a J**p come on man!
LC's rule all the way,look at that 40 classic!
John

I don't know why that guy keeps talking about j**p's on a LC website,the rubicons are nice but a J**p come on man!
LC's rule all the way,look at that 40 classic!
John

Because people are talking about FJ Cruisers on a LC website :flipoff2:

That 40 is beautiful.

Additionally, I wouldn't call a 40 unsafe. With good bumpers they're great.

I love a good 40 but don't agree about the safety issue. Sure, they are built like a tank. They have none of the energy absorbing safety features like a modern vehicle with front and rear crumple zones. This isn't always a problem but in many accidents you are at a big disadvantage. My biggest problem with them is having kids in the jump seats. Not a safe solution.

Of course (20 years ago) my honeymoon consisted of driving cross country and camping in a 1967 VW Westfalia camper. I'm at a different place in my life than the 26-yo original poster here.

that 40 is one that i would trade my locked 80 for... nice truck.

Nothing against FJ's at all,I think they are cool.They are fxxxing Toyotas man,sell your cruiser&buy a jeep then man:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom