Should I Install a Under-Hood Switch on the Winch Power Feed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, I'm thinking about adding a switch.

This would prevent anyone from just plugging in a controller and operating the winch as a prank or vandalisms. It would also provide some safety if the power feed shorted for some reason as I would put the switch at the battery.

What's the typical installation recommendation?

I don't worry about doing that.

Mt typical install is hook up the cables, make sure everything is secure, tack weld a mounting nut to the winch plate if needed, and done.

Like the title says, I'm thinking about adding a switch.

This would prevent anyone from just plugging in a controller and operating the winch as a prank or vandalisms. It would also provide some safety if the power feed shorted for some reason as I would put the switch at the battery.

What's the typical installation recommendation?

I would recommend using a high amp starter solenoid on the positive cable between the winch and battery. It will have smaller terminals for wiring the switch to

I leave the main power cable unconnected. When I need to use it, it takes 5 secs to put it on a screw post and tighten a wingnut.

I run a milemarker hydraulic, but have a klixon fuse for the solenoids under the hood, that I leave cold.

I have mine switched under the hood and leave it off until I enter the trail. It is always "OFF" when I'm on pavement. I can get to the switch in seconds if I need get power to the winch. I'm not at all worried about people messing with it but I do think it could become a safety issue in even a minor front end collision. For a few bucks for the cost of a switch, or even just wing nuts, as e9999 sugested, you could possibly be saving your truck from burning to the ground. Not to mention the stories you hear about winch solenods becoming welded in the "ON" position. A switch sure would come in handy in that senario. Seems like an obvious necessary safety feature to me. JMO.
cp

this better be a big honkin' switch then, like 500A worth or something if you want to use it as a cutoff too...? :)

You will never be switching under load so you should be pretty safe.

I managed to squeeze a battery isolator and two Bluesea switches in stk battery compartment. One switch for winch and other to join my two batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom