Should I Go to 17" Rims? Good 8" Wide Toyota Options For No Spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Fellas,

I was about to buy a set of 17" 4Runner rims, but they are only 7" wide which I'm not excited about and I'd have to run spacers with them to avoid narrowing my track. I'm not willing to run spacers.

My thought on 17's was I could get 285/75 17 tires and have a 34" tire which sounds like a good Goldilocks tire size for general purpose moderate wheeling and I wouldn't have to regear.

Thoughts on this idea? Do you agree a 34" tire would not require regearing? Are there any Toyota rims which are 17" and 8" wide like our 80 Series OEM rims (width wise)? I know it's not hard to find Toyota 17" rims, but I can't find any which are 8" wide and have the proper offset/backspacing (not trying to start a terminology debate, I think you know what I mean).

I'm not a big fan of many aftermarket rims. They scream "EXTREME!!!" and I'm not really an extreme kind of guy.

Thanks
Russ

I have also considered that tire size (also probably the largest size that can reasonably be stored in the stock spare location), so extra goldilocks in that regard. I'm doing OK on 315's, so I think a 285/75r17 would be pretty OK without regear. So much depends on extra weight, towing and location (elevation) though. My truck is about as light as they come with little/no extra gear.

I am not aware of any Toyota 17x8 that has the same backspacing of our stock wheels. Most will fit with a 285 tire without a spacer (meaning it will clear the brakes and mount up), but will sit an inch or two inboard of the stock wheel location, so might look goofy and will also be less stable than stock backspacing.

My recommendation is, don't fear the spacer. They work fine and open up a lot of wheel choices. Or just look for a plane jane aftermarket wheel--there are some pretty generic looking steel wheels that have the correct backspacing in a 17x8 or 17x9.

:edit: these alloys aren't too flashy, IMO:

Black Rock Yuma 908M, 17x8 Wheel with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Machined with Clear Coat- 908M786045

American Racing BAJA, 17x8 Wheel with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Polished - AR1727838

American Racing Baja, 17x8 Wheel with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Black - AR1727883B

Last edited:
If I were going to 17" rims I'd make it easy on myself and choose the FJ cruiser steel wheels. Nobody will accuse you of being too extreme in these!

upload_2018-4-30_15-30-48.png

But they arent 8" wide.

Sequoia wheels are 7.5” wide by 17”.
Very close to 8”.

Backspacing of the Sequoia wheels will still require spacers though.

Have you thought about 295/75/16 and get your stock wheels blasted and powder coated and save a few $$$ they are only .4 inches smaller than 285/75/17 and the same .4 inch wider?

Thanks guys maybe I will paint or powder coat my rims. Those Tandem rims are very sweet looking too.

Stick with stock and 35, I don’t know anyone who can tell the difference between a 35 and a 34 by driving. I couldn’t tell that big is difference when I went from 33-35 and I went to one of the heaviest 35s in the market.

Stay 33 or go 35 aka common sized tires, even a truck stop middle of no where has a good chance of having at least a used one.

Stock wheels are know to be strong and last a long time, but if you like the look of fancy wheels then go for it. Just DON’T use spacers unless you want trouble.

So, a 34" tire doesn't need regear, but a 34 1/4" if that, 315/16 does? :confused:

Your tires didn’t come with that sticker on them?

They must have fell off in the AZ heat. :hillbilly:

Your tires didn’t come with that sticker on them?

They must have fell off in the AZ heat. :hillbilly:

So, you are confusing me with someone who would/could read a tire sticker?:hillbilly:

DON’T use spacers unless you want trouble.

Amen to that! Huge trouble with spacers, they could fall right off the truck!

Unless you install them correctly (clean the mating surfaces, center the spacers on the hub), torque to spec, check torque after running them a bit, all that pain-in-the-ass stuff. But if not, LOOK OUT!

In all fairness, you also have to center the wheels on the spacers, which takes a little more work than hub-centric wheels do. So there is some trouble associated with spacers.

I currently have 17x8 steel wheels. And when these wear out I'm going down to a 16 and stock wheels. Seems like there are more wheel options at 16

I currently have 17x8 steel wheels. And when these wear out I'm going down to a 16 and stock wheels. Seems like there are more wheel options at 16

But more tire options at 17”, so I’d pick your tires before deciding to sell your 17’s.

Just my op.

But more tire options at 17”, so I’d pick your tires before deciding to sell your 17’s.

Just my op.

This is correct and only going to become more and more true. The only reason i bit the bullet and went to 17 for my new 35s and eventual 37s.

I couldn’t tell that big is difference when I went from 33-35 and I went to one of the heaviest 35s in the market.

I guess you never point your truck uphill at altitude:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom