Should I get it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this is probably the wrong thread to post this to, as I am sure it will be one sided.

I currently own a 2002 Silverado Extended Cab 2WD. It is in good shape, and has 118,000 miles. I like the truck, and it has been dead reliable for me for the 20,000 miles or so I have owned it, but I have the itch to get a 4wd that can haul my 2 girls to daycare and play in the mud/trails on certain weekends.

I have sourced a 2002 clean 4 runner with 195,000 miles. It is currently at a Toyota dealership, and they are just planning to take it to auction and not even put it on the lot. I can get it for $3900 before tax.

Now the Check engine light is on, and the VSC, which I had them run and they said it was an O2 sensor (so no big deal). They also said the valve cover gaskets looked to have a small weep, and one of the front axles had a small leak. None of those really bother me, but the 4wd light on the dash was blinking when I test drove it. I am going to see if they will look into that for me.

I guess my biggest worry is missing the truck. I know there are ways around it with the SUV (rear cargo basket, trailer, etc.).

Like I said, I know you guys will be a tad bit biased, but if you were in my shoes, would you sell the truck and get the 4runner?

You'll miss a truck for sure. It all boils down to how much you use your truck and what you use it for.

On a side note $3,900 isn't a terrible price for the 4runner if its clean...

For my area, a clean 4 runner with those miles is bringing closer to $4,500-5,000 private party. I am fine with the price, just don't want to regret getting rid of the truck.

My dad does have a truck, and I have full access to his 5x8 trailer.

What size Silverado ?
4Runner will carry less cargo, but is much nicer ride in the backseats than an Extra-cab. Which your kids will appreciate on any long drives.
It really depends on how much you need a truck bed.
How about a crew-cab Tacoma?

With access to dad's truck and trailer, if I didn't need it for work then I'd go with the 4Runner. You won't live long enough to kill it. I assume it's a 3.4 6 cylinder?

I would however try to talk them down a little bit.

Did you get the 4runner?

Can't go wrong with the 4Runner. And like others have said, if you don't use the truck for work, have access to the trailer and truck from your father, go for it. Outside of what you know about the Runner, rear axle seals, timing belt/water pump, lower ball joints and brakes are what I'd look at next.
My first post here but I have been reading a ton from you guys over the years. Thanks for your knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom