Builds Patricia in the Woods… (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, if I had a truck like that when I was in high school, I would have thought that I had died and gone to heaven!

Man, if I had a truck like that when I was in high school, I would have thought that I had died and gone to heaven!
I feel the same way man!

So the one part I didn’t replace was the Chinesium steering rack… my buddy told me that I needed to replace it with OEM but I declined at the moment because it was just replaced like a year and a half ago and seemed to work pretty well…

Famous last words…

Took a turn from a gravel road onto the paved road (probably 4-5” bump and 💥 my power steering turned to manual steering real quickly…

Drove it to the NOC parking lot (in western NC), proceeded to dump the rest of my power steering fluid on the ground, and figured this isn’t gonna ruin my day with my buddy and his kid and my kid… so we just manual steered to the trailhead, had a great ride, went back to the NOC, probably burned up my power steering pump and called AAA to tow to my mechanic and get the OEM rack ordered.

Had some snacks while we waited and thanked my lucky stars that this is the “cabin truck” and we have our car to get us home.

By the way, what a BEAUTIFUL weekend…

IMG_9496.jpeg

IMG_9497.jpeg

IMG_9498.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

71848733238__B00ED4B7-0F38-496A-8301-E2002C86BA9A.jpeg

Followup… there’s a chance it’s just a hose blow-out… I didn’t see that when I climbed under it yesterday but my buddy said he’d put it on the rack tomorrow and take a closer look. Fingers crossed.

Soooo I was not so lucky as I thought.
Newish aftermarket steering rack was trashed and I definitely burned the pump… also discovered that was aftermarket trash as well.

Also when my buddy was taking things apart he saw that a lot of the securing hardware for the PS lines were missing, which is a shame.

Overall, I feel like someone spent quite a bit of money on this thing to get it “maintained” (I have the receipts) but either they made the choices for the cheaper parts or the mechanic did, but I believe most of it has now been replaced.

Start with the old s***e comin out…

IMG_20231015_093655_01.jpeg

Along with the new stuff (all OEM Toyota) going back in, and a fresh alignment.

It’s always kinda meh spending on a rig only to get it back to where it was before things went bad BUT the silver lining is there’s no more 1-2” of dead spot in the steering that was present before! 👊🏾 and she’s definitely silky now…

IMG_20231015_104834_01.jpeg

IMG_20231015_113157_01.jpeg

IMG_20231015_115738_01.jpeg

What brand rack was that?
Any rub with those FJ steelies at full flex ? What size tires ?
Also , what’s the benefit of Whiteline steering rack bushings? I just ordered an AAE steering rack…

What brand rack was that?
Any rub with those FJ steelies at full flex ? What size tires ?
Also , what’s the benefit of Whiteline steering rack bushings? I just ordered an AAE steering rack…
  • Steering rack? Not sure... think it was a rock auto special... and my mechanic told me Day 1 that the OEM rack is worth the money and I needed to put it on the list... didn't expect to replace it so soon, but the need came!
  • Bed rack? Yakima Overhaul HD
  • Haven't noticed any rub, just a little more noise than on my FJ62, tire details are Yokohama geolander M/T g003 255/75/17
  • The OEM bushings had never been replaced and my mechanic suggested the whitelines because of his experience with them on his LX470, they definitely keep everything tight.

• Steering rack? Not sure... think it was a rock auto special... and my mechanic told me Day 1 that the OEM rack is worth the money and I needed to put it on the list... didn't expect to replace it so soon, but the need came!
  • Bed rack? Yakima Overhaul HD
  • Haven't noticed any rub, just a little more noise than on my FJ62, tire details are Yokohama geolander M/T g003 255/75/17
  • The OEM bushings had never been replaced and my mechanic suggested the whitelines because of his experience with them on his LX470, they definitely keep everything tight.
I was told the FJ steelies need spacers to clear any sort of oversize tires on the first Gens

I was told the FJ steelies need spacers to clear any sort of oversize tires on the first Gens
I have the bilstein 5100 lift and no spacers. I haven’t taken them on any extreme off-road but I haven’t noticed any rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom