Builds Shipwreck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and before I get grief.... it was a fantastic resto mod, but it was competing against rigs where the money spent on the '40 would have barely been a down payment.
For example
this started life as a 48 Chevrolet farm truck
dRJW0mrh.jpg

NjNB1KMh.jpg

and this a first gen Blazer that probably doesn't have a part on it from GM
FaRzoHUh.jpg

FvcZtnjh.jpg

16kcdERh.jpg

with a 1200 hp LS for power....
there were at least 4 vehicles that were at that level - that said, IMO he was not last.... so there is that...

The Ring Bro's Blazer was insane. All their stuff is.

so out with the Toyos in with the Mickey Thompsons. backstory, I'm building a Blazer that will get a slide in camper and will be my camping rig - I never liked the toyos on the '40 because they're way too stiff. These have a C1 load rating rather then D of the Toyo - will I like them as radials? only time will tell
IVOJVA7h.jpg

the Blazer - pretty standard stuff except I'm putting a radius arm front suspension and D60/14bolt axles. It will continue to be a diesel but a modified 99 H1 hummer motor with NV4500 trans.
3urp344h.jpg

Those hinges look pretty beefy. Where are they from?

and here is the wrong way to install them

Nice! So much easier to change doors. I hated going from my half doors to full doors and back.

Assembly commences
8U9iGHFh.jpg

the hinges fit quite well
426F8oCh.jpg

and then one bolt.... I had this apart 10 years ago.... I don't know how I'm going to get it out but I went onto other things because I was getting a bit warm
Tv0KJ54h.jpg

a bit of advice, lube the pins before trying to install. It's a good, tight fit - and you need to leave the hinges loose to align everything.... I fought this side for a bit and eventually took the top hinge back off the door and put it together....
XfJXgi3h.jpg

tomorrow I'll figure out how to get that last bolt out - it's in an impossible spot (the top, innermost bolt)...

in an effort to not tannerite it, I got this final fit on my Blazer
v9HB07Yh.jpg

I'm a big fan of F350 Ford van springs... they're dual rate, which gives you more travel but the ability have a progressive spring

and yes, there will likely be a Toyota project in the near future... but right now I need this operational - so next up is tire swapping (after blowing the bolt.

I win
aU4u2Hwh.jpg

~ish
bubMat5h.jpg

but the doors are on and since the high tomorrow is supposed to be 9 degrees...
aJWlzm0h.jpg

need to swap the tires then this is getting to work. Fun new issue is it seems coolant is leaking into the exhaust... ah well, be a good time to make it a diesel....

I love this guy…it’s us, striped of all the insulation, machinations, and social media fear of failure. Plus he has such a devoted camera lady ( hats off to his Mrs).

back to tires... taller, wider
the first issue was getting the tire machine inside - which required breaking it out of the ice
6b8gEeyh.jpg

then, of course, doing the wheels... did I mention I love the gantry crane?
Fvybbrbh.jpg

ready to go to a real tire shop to get the Mickey Thompson's off
QxyYuOth.jpg

this is starting to look repetitive
MQcXnvmh.jpg

ahBPazEh.jpg

then 14 oz of BBs... about dynamic balancing. It works fantastic, you just have to get over the bearing sound from the tires. There is also 2 ways of getting them inside... first is how I did with these tires - dump them in the back (once the front ring was bolted on). Alternatively, the tires which are now for the Blazer got bags of BBs - just a plastic sandwich bag, it'll break soon enough inside - the advantage of the bag method is the poor guy at the tire shop doesn't get BBs all over the place... where I already have one bead in place when I dump them in, the tire shop does - and it can be done, carefully, or put them in little baggies (it didn't escape my notice that I was hauling around a small scale, measuring cup and small baggies.... thankfully there was no curious cop...)
DY1udCBh.jpg

ready for SAR duties
UZ2IR2Mh.jpg

xFpFDPEh.jpg

and before someone comments - the 'rifle' on the fender is a PCP rifle... basically a BB gun on steroids. 1170 fps BB gun.... uses compressed air but 2000 psi (you need a tank or a scuba tank air compressor to fill it). they're kind of spendy but an amazing amount of fun - best of all, they are pretty quiet (and certainly don't sound like a rifle)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom