Builds Shipwreck (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made a decision(ish). I'm going to 'cheap' out by buying the Novak adapter then putting it back together as is. I'd like to upgrade the front output - and very well may after I pull the t-case apart - but won't at this moment (unless, it's the noise I'm hearing in 4wd, then I may change my mind again). I'm getting a much lower 1st gear with the NV4500, so I may not need or want 4:1 gears. Not using the Atlas because it's 1 1/2" longer overall, and I actually gain some driveshaft length with this conversion....

It struck me this morning that I'll be taking the last, mechanical part out of this vehicle that was made by Toyota when the transmission goes... ah well, to me the spirit of Toyota is using the best parts available* - so there it is.

*I'll put feathers on that - when the '40 came out, Jeeps were powered by 4 cyl motors...

Hey, SBG, is your exhaust still routed out in front of your rear tire? I'm having to run the same style exhaust that you have, and I am debating whether to drop it out behind the rear tire, or in front. Do you have any exhaust smell when driving or any thoughts on which you think is better?

It struck me this morning that I'll be taking the last, mechanical part out of this vehicle that was made by Toyota when the transmission goes... ah well, to me the spirit of Toyota is using the best parts available* - so there it is.
The door handles are still Toyota, right? Windshield wiper motor? I can't think of anything else mechanical on your 40 that might be Toyota.

The door handles are still Toyota, right? Windshield wiper motor? I can't think of anything else mechanical on your 40 that might be Toyota.
fan and heater
Hey, SBG, is your exhaust still routed out in front of your rear tire? I'm having to run the same style exhaust that you have, and I am debating whether to drop it out behind the rear tire, or in front. Do you have any exhaust smell when driving or any thoughts on which you think is better?
no, I don't smell it at all... I also have cats on both exhausts to reduce the smell (and bonus of being a USFS allowed spark arrester)

fan and heater

no, I don't smell it at all... I also have cats on both exhausts to reduce the smell (and bonus of being a USFS allowed spark arrester)

Is it dumped out the front then?

I have the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, hydraulic bearing on its way, but the other half is here
loGOIfih.jpg

I'm hoping I'm very close to finishing the vette for its debut in 18 days, if that goes well, I'll have a month to get the '40 back into ready-to-wheel condition....

other then leaky, there's nothing wrong with it
6J660hth.jpg

so glue it and put it back together.
O6hNrFFh.jpg

my plan is still the NV4500, but I have several things that need to be done now and this is drivable and useable. I do need to figure out where I put (for safety) the tuning computer... but outside of that.... time to use it again.

I always had a hard time getting the d300 bottom cover sealed. They make aluminum deep sump versions that are supposed to seal better.

I always had a hard time getting the d300 bottom cover sealed. They make aluminum deep sump versions that are supposed to seal better.
it's the only thing that isn't leaking, I've been admiring the new, replacement D300 cases.... Since I have to take it apart anyway ... that was also the big deal that caused me to pull the pan - I was afraid that I was going to kill a part I needed for the new case....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom