Builds Shipwreck (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More drawers
6oecBzvh.jpg

built a framework then used 200# glides
E3k9htWh.jpg

Inspection team
ZA6gbFth.jpg

QC is especially concerned about the water bowl location
Ga3OiUWh.jpg

5ZsUselh.jpg

other drawers
7IDVUhkh.jpg

this was the metal for the fuel cell I'm building for the Corvette... ah well?
ZD7RFHlh.jpg

a couple things left, but it's left the shop for at least a few days
wiring
4iMG7Y4h.jpg

QYtJA6Bh.jpg

with light
r14sueyh.jpg

m8tk73vh.jpg

VRcaeKLh.jpg

the backlight on the power panel really isn't intrusive - which makes it good
qm9KYjmh.jpg

what's left. Windows. Solar panel. I'll work on the windows next week then install them and the solar panel ... or maybe in the other order, I don't know where the wiring went for the panels.... but also need to get the fasteners.... but thank heavens, it's finally about done.

next up is the NV4500 in my '40 (after the TKX in my Corvette).
and fix the digital dash issue
and fix a steering issue (finally bought the die to bend the panhard bar)....

Very nice, ever thought of offering this style conversion as a kit to sell to law enforcement, military, border patrol, etc ... as well as the general public ?
just curious as the market for animal accomadations done well is in demand.

Very nice, ever thought of offering this style conversion as a kit to sell to law enforcement, military, border patrol, etc ... as well as the general public ?
just curious as the market for animal accomadations done well is in demand.
Yes, I've thought about it. My wife has been suggesting I should too.... I honestly don't know. I've done a couple for various Search and Rescue groups - love doing it as a hobby. Coming soon are opening windows for the JK back windows.... if I like how they work, I'll probably produce custom windows for any SUV with non-opening windows that are flat(ish).... but we're back to 'hobby' - the way I see it, you can either have so much fun at work because you're doing what you enjoy, or utterly crater something that gives you joy and make it a burden.

how's that for a really wordy 'I don't know'? ;)

Right, just thinking that approaching from a pet/animal owners angle, like advertising custom set ups in PetCo or other chain stores, if there is interest then , take orders, typical issue is cost, nobody will pay what its worth to make, however in the custom pet/animal ring they might, not enough to take on the whole thing, I get it.

Right, just thinking that approaching from a pet/animal owners angle, like advertising custom set ups in PetCo or other chain stores, if there is interest then , take orders, typical issue is cost, nobody will pay what its worth to make, however in the custom pet/animal ring they might, not enough to take on the whole thing, I get it.
Adding up the hours in my head.... I pulled it apart on September 9th. It was all I did in my 'spare' time and I have about 4 hours left to finish the solar panel and 8 or so on the windows... I worked on it 6 hours on Sundays, and 3 hours Mon-Thursday. 18 hours a week. 5 weeks ... 90 plus 12 to finish 102 hours. I spent another 4 hours in material retrieval and parts shooping... not including the new roof and the nightmare that is FedUp (that would add 16 hours and 3k). So grand total is 106 hours. Not included is the friend's hours who has been working along side of me for pretty much all of those hours. Costs - ugh, I didn't want to think about those - stainless steel went from $2.50/lb to $6.00/lb.... Steel and everything else mirrored that... $2000 in metal, $2,500 in parts - and I re-used a bunch of stuff or had laying about - that would be at least $1,000 to replace. $5,500 in materials and 200 hours labor.

Shop rate for custom work was, last I checked $90/hr (Kindig Design)... so that cage is about $23,000 and 6 weeks. The design process took more then a year... and I'm pretty sure I'm way low on the parts because that didn't include the 2 Optima batteries (and I'm sure there's more). Add the roof in and it's nearly $27,000.

If anyone's interested.... PM me*

*joke.

so I estimated that mostly to see how far off my 'internal' figure was.... I thought 15k-20k...

backstory - clock didn't keep time, and the signals were possessed and would come on randomly - the second reason is why I replaced the box (thank you dakota digital) and solved the first problem...
picture for posterity (and more importantly, if the wires get crossed)
3FZi13Rh.jpg

rbFwlJKh.jpg

and how I did the swap.... next time, I should add about 6" for servicing
6GJzkSWh.jpg

what done looks like
VxtKIc6h.jpg

So today I get an email that you posted. I was thinking it had been a long time since your last post. Logged in and wow, you've been busy and Mud hasn't been telling me. Nice work!

So today I get an email that you posted. I was thinking it had been a long time since your last post. Logged in and wow, you've been busy and Mud hasn't been telling me. Nice work!
still fighting the power to the dash issue a bit - but overall, it's quite usable. I've spent a lot of time on my Corvette, but it's so much fun to have toys that are such opposites.

let me know when you're ready to go hit the hills.... there's plenty of snow now.

still fighting the power to the dash issue a bit - but overall, it's quite usable. I've spent a lot of time on my Corvette, but it's so much fun to have toys that are such opposites.

let me know when you're ready to go hit the hills.... there's plenty of snow now.
Ha! I was just thinking the same thing. Probably another month.

snow is definitely in season right now! i think they just reopened White pass this week. One lane only IIRC.

Steering. When I built this, I didn't have a die for bending the bar that is the panhard bar. Now I do... and I need to correct a few things. When I put the Reid racing knuckles on, I put some high steer arms I had. Problem is it destroyed the Ackermann due to their design.... I don't do rocks, so hanging the steering bar in front of the differential isn't as bad a thing as it would be if I lived somewhere where they pound on rocks.

sad things is I've had these parts for years....
eieFxBih.jpg

P9axkreh.jpg

gratuitous Corvette shot and work bench
LaqZ4LIh.jpg

the biggest issue (beside ackerman) is the panhard bar is too short - that I fix next...
chWM9DSh.jpg

73JYYDeh.jpg

next up is cut out some new brackets for the upper panhard bar mount.... the goal is parallel with the steering cross bar and the same length. For those who wonder what it does as is - don't hold onto the steering wheel when accelerating.... if you do, you'll be in on-coming traffic. Not a huge deal if you know about it, a great anti-theft device if you don't....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom