Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

front is linked, it's 3 link but it doesn't attach to the belly pan.
I really like the 4 linked rear.
trust everything Tom Woods says.... I'm sure they've forgotten more than I'll ever know. (disclaimer, I loathe Pirate) But even if I didn't, the general rule is if it's on the internet - verify it. I haven't read the article you mention, so no opinion on it. But with all that said.
Specs:
19 1/2" long
22* at rest
rear, vertical travel is 10" and 12" on the front.
I've ramped it, it's scored better then perfect.

I have about 2500 miles on it since I built it - I drive it on the freeway at 70 mph to go wheeling, (yes, on 38" bias ply swampers) and the only thing I could complain about is the 7 mpg.... with a 16 gallon tank that's about 120 miles before dry.
22* does work - but your rear u-joint needs to be perfectly aligned (ignore the 1 degree plus or minus, it will vibrate).

It works really well, there are people here who have driven it and many who I have wheeled with... the only complaints I've had about it is the peanut gallery on the internet... you know, the armchair wheelers.

You wanted advice, so here's my 2cents. Pay attention to instant center. When I nail the throttle there is just a bit of separation on the rear - which, in 4x4ing, is perfect (not so much for drag racing, but they do everything on flat ground)... Instant center is the imaginary point where your 4 link suspension meets - or said another way, the point at where the torque lifts the vehicle. If you put it in front of the bumper, the rear will pull into the body (squatting) which effectively loses you traction. On the other hand, if you move that point too far back, you'll have all the traction of an unloaded pickup on ice (because you're shifting weight to the front wheels). With that said, it's nice to climb steep hills and know that nailing the throttle isn't going to endo you down the hill. Mine is right at the center of the flywheel.

I spent plenty of time figuring out how to reduce things hanging under the vehicle. The lower links on the rear, for example, are parallel to the ground (which puts more stress on the upper links). The other thing the lower link does (in this configuration) is reduce rotation at the u-joint.

The other thing I've done is put a sway bar only on the rear, and only the type that ties the lower links together (came off a superduty). It certainly isn't a road course warrior, but it drives at 70 just fine and doesn't affect travel (the bar is 7/8" IIRC).

was a good day.

bulldozed a path (and illustrated why it's called shipwreck - yes, put it on the rocks and the rocks lost)
no rocks at the bottom there... there is a reason :rofl:
yvGEMiOh.jpg

aired up and went home.... also found a new (to us) exit at Walker
Du2YUnrh.jpg

I really love my trollhole top.... rolled up the sides (it was chilly in the morning) in the afternoon

it does clean up nice after some wheeling
4EdGd1ih.jpg

I went out wheeling with my standard crew
pqgcIa6h.jpg

after pushing a few rocks out of the way, the little guys got through
gkvJCUfh.jpg

all was not happy, the caliper started leaking
yXxTAOch.jpg

ever have that voice in your head that says "check it" but you don't? yeah, left caliper... that's the right side..
Uk6LoBph.jpg

most annoyed that I didn't check it....

so I went out and bought stainless for the water pan for my Langmuir table
vDgcsuJh.jpg

I really need to bolt my jump shear down... because I need to jump harder on it ....
zR6fnE2h.jpg

like anything else, the solution requires multiple steps. I will cut it with my plasma, but I need to finish the air cleaner... once that is done, then I need to use my new-to-arrive-plasma to hollow out a spot on the brake so I can put those house jacks in place.... then I can form the pans....

to be continued

It's definitely nice to have working brakes. I wonder if the leaky caliper was involved in your left swerving when hitting the brakes... Seems like it would be.

It's definitely nice to have working brakes. I wonder if the leaky caliper was involved in your left swerving when hitting the brakes... Seems like it would be.
Pretty sure it was, the pad was absolutely loaded with oily fluid.... of course, cheap me blew out the pad with 2 cans of brake cleaner, in retrospect, it was probably a good idea... if it took 3x to get a correct GM truck caliper; finding pads would be my continuing saga.

you coming to NWOR this year?

Considering that’s my on-call weekend probably not unless the schedule changes.

Pretty sure it was, the pad was absolutely loaded with oily fluid.... of course, cheap me blew out the pad with 2 cans of brake cleaner, in retrospect, it was probably a good idea... if it took 3x to get a correct GM truck caliper; finding pads would be my continuing saga.

you coming to NWOR this year?

Hey SBG, your ride looks great and I like the stance. What is your WMS, rim width, backspacing, and tire size? Im thinking of going with a 63" WMS axles, 10" wide rims with 4" backspacing, and 37x12.50 tires. Per my calcs, this would be 69" out to out with tires.

Thanks,

last bit...
XmexYoIh.jpg

and it works
gydlr49h.jpg

and now to learn software, but this is it for the detour...
Hey SBG, your ride looks great and I like the stance. What is your WMS, rim width, backspacing, and tire size? Im thinking of going with a 63" WMS axles, 10" wide rims with 4" backspacing, and 37x12.50 tires. Per my calcs, this would be 69" out to out with tires.

Thanks,
I don't remember, I'm narrower than the 80" width that Evan's Creek OHV park demands but just barely.... IIRC it's somewhere around 59" WMS.... wheels are 12" with 4 1/2 backspace tire size is 38x15 wide

How much work will it take to fit those later style half doors?

I am actually swapping on my half doors and removing the top this weekend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom