Shift on the fly 4H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't tried it before, but the transfer case instructions on my glovebox door say to slow to less than 5kph before shifting into 4wd. 89 h55f and split case

Edit: just saw this is only between h4 and l4

Last edited:
With the hubs locked you should be able to shift on the fly, just make sure to pop in the clutch. I do it all the time with my vacuum actuated transfer case.

I do 4H shift on the fly at speed all the time too.

It can bind up if you're turning or your tires are different sizes or pressures. I usually give a little wiggle back forth of the steering wheel when I shift back out of 4H; this helps relieve pressure.

With freewheel hubs locked , you should be able to pass from 2 high , to 4 high on the fly with no problems ( depressing the clutch as when you change gears ) . That's how my July HZJ75 , with H55F with split transfer works . On suggestion though : Check tyres pressure to ensure that rolling circumference is the same or the closest possible between front and rear tyres . That also should make the shifting from 2H - 4H on the fly , easier .

Mine was doing that last year, it stopped though, I didn't do anything to fix it.
Mine will also pop out of low-range every now and then (usually on steep up-hills at very inopportune times)

I don't put the clutch in when shifting on the fly, just let off the skinny pedal a bit.

Mine was doing that last year, it stopped though, I didn't do anything to fix it.
Mine will also pop out of low-range every now and then (usually on steep up-hills at very inopportune times)

I don't put the clutch in when shifting on the fly, just let off the skinny pedal a bit.
Maybe I should try that. But will have to wait few weeks till I get home again

I have a vacuum case, but I do the same. Just let off the skinny pedal, push the button and she locks in good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom