She's a moaner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my ‘94 there is a separate fan up in the dash behind the radio. Had to remove it when I did the heater core.

Damn, Toyota really did go above and beyond designing these trucks. I put an aftermarket radio in mine, didn’t see a fan tho. Don’t think the fan moaning would lead to feedback/vibrations in my accelerator pedal

I have been searching for the same noise in my 92. It sounds like a muted trumpet.

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but hopefully my experience from today can help someone.

I had these exact symptoms as the originator of this thread. My 2000 LX470 would make a trumpeting/groaning/moaning noise in a very specific rpm range on acceleration and deceleration. I just had the automatic transmission and power steering serviced, yet the noise was there when they brought my car around to me. I was able to reproduce the noise by revving the engine while in park and listening.

It turns out it was the serpentine belt tensioner. The belt would lose it's ability to tension momentarily and move down; when moving back up the groan was very loud. I am having the tensioner replaced on monday, and I will report back.

Glad you found that, but the 80 doesn’t have a serpentine belt or tensioner. And the trumpet only sounds when under load, not in park.

Yup, no serpentine or tensioner. It does have a constant tensioner on the water pump, and on the alternator on the other belt loop. I started another thread somewhere and stated that my “moan” went away after I did a 1” body lift. Not sure how that sound and a body lift correlate but mine has been gone for over 3 months

It just means that your 80 is a happy 80 if she moans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom