Sheared Bolt Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
I sheared the right bolt while removing the transfer case skid plate. Any ideas on how to remove it?

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

I would remove the cross member so it is easier to work on. Hopefully just drilling and using an easy out extractor will do the job.

Before removing the skid plate, If the bolt is centered in the hole of the skid plate , i would size a drill bit shank to the skid plate hole and start to drill the bolt with the larger bit. Drill into the center of the bolt enough to keep a smaller drill bit from walking out of the center of the bolt. Then proceed to drill through the bolt with the small bit , use a quality extractor . Drill straight .
Or just center punch it free hand right in the middle and drill it. 😁

I had one of mine break and I just punched out the weld nut and through bolted it. if it broke on the way in due to being over torqued than you may be able to use a spiral extractor, if it broke on the way out dur to rust and crust youll want to just drill it out and tap it. or just go with 2 bolts, that's also an option

Thanks guys. It wasn't rusty and I never touched the bolt before--it just failed on the way out. it may have been over-torqued by the PO I don't know. I may drill it with a hinge bit and try the extractor method first since I have a set. I had heard that a left-hand drill bit may work as well...don't have any of those though.

If you have a welder, find a nut that will fit over the remains. Weld the nut to the remaining bolt, and let it cool. The heat from welding will break the rust loose, and most of the time the bolt will back out. If the nut twists off, just weld another on.

If no welder is available, use a torch to heat the remains up as hot as you can. A typical propane torch will take a long time to get enough heat into a bolt like that since the frame acts as a heat sink.

Don't bother with an ez-out, if (when) it breaks in the bolt, now you have a bit of heat treated steel than no regular drill bit is going to drill

You can stick a rod to it, bend the rod 90* and use it as a wrench on small bolts sometimes. If you have a welder. :meh:

I had heard that a left-hand drill bit may work as well...don't have any of those though.

ive found that left handed bits are really only good if the bolt is somewhat loosened. if the bolt is still tight in the hole youll just drill a hole in the bolt instead of walking it out. don't try to crank on the extractor, its hardened steel that will break on the most inconvenient spot such as a main oil pan and the only comment you get from your manager is im glad that isn't me and you spend the next 2 hrs with a carbide bur slowly grinding the extractor and bolt out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom