1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaky at idle

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by nyk438, Feb 24, 2004.

1. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

When I'm in Drive and not moving it shakes and idles at 500rpms...Only started doing this when I put in a rebuilt alternator after my mudding incident. If I put an alternator thats not rebuilt in would it help?

2. Junk

Junk

have you tested the alt?

3. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

I put it in my car, it works....Thats the only test I've done. I know it's a rebuilt alternator smaller than the stock one I had in there before it got shot by mud and water...

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I know that a 1FZ requires several start-up cycles, after the battery has been disconnected, before the idle returns to "normal". That may also be the case for the 3FE.

5. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

It's been this way for almost a month now. Just wondering b/c I am purchasing a used alternator for a 91 cruiser off cruiserparts.net wondering if the rebuilt alt is affecting my low idle...rpms go up when A/C is turned on like norm...

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

my 1st thought was the same as Dans, becuase the 3fe like the newer motors takes sometime to relarn if the battery is diconected, but not as much as the fzj.

But it seem that isn't it in your case. What is the output volt wise from the re-built alt? what was it rated at for amps? But I can't really see how the alt could be causing it to run rough. I suspect when you were changing the alt somehow you knocked off a vacuum line someplace......which will make it run like crap. I would look hard for a hose off.......there is a buttload of em on a 3fe

7. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Thanks, I'll look for the hose see if thats the problem..it's really been bugging me latley how it idles. Thanks for the help! :cheers: