7th Annual 100s in the Hills Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Wow! HIH7 was the best one yet and we hope to continue saying that year after year. Tim @nakman said it best when he said “it just keeps getting a little better each year.” That’s always been the goal. Post your photos, tell your story and give some 100 series tech info. A survey will be emailed shortly to get your feedback. We're still learning and we'll never be perfect, but we strive to be better each and every year.

_

By now, most of you know that Chris and I are pretty laid back. If you’ve been with us on any of our runs, events or multiday adventures, you know how we operate and we never get too serious. We don’t overland and we don’t abide by any standard as far as what gear you have to have or how built your 100 might be. We’re just out to enjoy the trails and have a good time with like-minded friends. There is a serious side to the event planning and the months and weeks leading up to HIH are pretty stressful and super busy for both of us. We feel that that’s what makes HIH so special. We really try hard to bring the best experience possible to those of you willing to travel and commit to attending.

This year was just plain smooth. As always, everyone that attended made the event what it was. The help we had this year allowed Chris and I to concentrate on some of the smaller details. Securing the Kendall Mountain Ski Area really was the best thing that could have happened. The space is perfect for what we do. Seeing everyone gathered in the lodge for dinner was super cool.

It’s tough to pinpoint the highlight of the event. The opening night ceremony at The Wyman Hotel and Southern Pacific was one of the coolest things we’ve seen at HIH. 100+ people gathered in a fantastic setting, in a great town, under a canopy of lights and stars was amazing. That was a total last minute plan that came together perfectly. Special thanks to Nitro Gear and Axle for stepping up last minute to cover the first round of drinks. Super special thanks to the Wyman’s owner, who happens to own more than one Land Cruiser, for putting on such a great event for us. They were not expecting us to order so much food and as they got backed up in the kitchen, they continued to provide free drinks and hors devours for our group. Chris and I had a meeting with Shane (the owner) on Monday morning and plans are already underway to expand on the opening night for HIH8. The Wyman will also be fully operational as an upscale hotel and eatery.

Our impact on town was so great that the Rum Bar offered us 150 first round drink tickets for Thursday night. An impromptu game of Trivial Pursuit took place with nearly 50 of us occupying the roof top deck. Once again, we were under a canopy of lights and stars in an amazing setting.

Everyone knows one of the highlights of the event is the Friday night potluck dinner. This year’s dinner did not disappoint. The amount of food was overwhelming and as always, if you left the lodge hungry on Friday night, you did something wrong. One of the best things we saw was a huge HIH dessert made from Palisade peaches, Twinkies, pound cake and whipped cream. Seriously, the pot luck has evolved into an event all its own.

Saturday night was the famous HIH raffle. Regardless of how many events you’ve been to, there’s absolutely nothing like an HIH raffle. The energy and excitement are second to none. It’s fun. We laugh, we hoot, we holler and nearly every person in attendance wins something. The vendors and sponsors are super important to what we’re doing and without them, it’s just me and Chris standing in front of a bunch of friends and talking. No one wants to see or hear that. Thankfully, we have the absolute best sponsors of any event. Take notice of which vendors are loyal to HIH and do your best to be loyal to them in return. We have developed personal relationships with each of these vendors over the years and you will not find better people to do business with. If you won a raffle prize from one of our sponsors, consider purchasing something else from them to show your support. If you didn’t win a raffle prize, please take their willingness to support HIH into your next purchasing decision. You’ve been to HIH, you’ve met these folks, runs trails with them, sat around the campfire with them and watched them give away thousands of dollars of products to this group. Some of these guys are just small start-up businesses. What they give away comes directly out of their own pocket. Like us, many of them have families. Their willingness to drive to Silverton and give away amazing products shows their commitment to this event, our community and everything that we represent. They’re also doing it to promote their business and their products in a very saturated market. Please, buy from these folks, support their business and do your best to show them the support that they need and deserve in order to be successful.

HIH thrives on being the underdog. We thrive on being a different event and a different group. Our 100s are often called the minivans of Land Cruisers. We’re the outcasts of the offroad world with our minimal front end travel, heated seats and plush leather seats. Go ahead and count us out. Tell us that the 100 Series platform is not right for wheeling, or that it’s not a real Land Cruiser or that we can’t hang with the other wheeling groups. Tell us that the 100 series platform is on the decline and that an event like ours cannot continue to grow, flourish and succeed. I’ll take our small group of loyal vendors, members and families over any other group in the world. Chris and I try to stay humble in what we do, but the simple fact remains that this is the best event in the country with the best people in attendance each and every year. We registered just over 100 vehicles this year and had 69 on the waitlist. We may never be a 300+ vehicle event, but that’s just fine with us. Each year we make new friends and strengthen our friendships with those we’ve met in the past. The sense of community, family and friendships at an HIH event is unrivaled. I’ve made lifelong friends through HIH and those relationships go far beyond wheeling. Friends remain friends regardless of the vehicle they drive and we’d go through a wall (or over one) for any of you.

See you next year.

HIH7 SPONSORS

GAMIVITI

DISSENT OFFROAD

CVT TENTS

NITRO GEAR

BUMP IT OFFROAD

EAGLES NEST OUTFITTERS

OUTER LIMIT SUPPLY

TOWN OF SILVERTON

METAL TECH 4X4

RHINO RACK

OUTDOORX4 MAGAZINE

TRAIL TAILOR

OFF THE GRID

SACKWEAR

WITS' END

LAND SHARK OUTFITTERS

LAND CRUISER HEAVEN

4X4 LABS

CRUX EXPEDITION TRAILERS

TREKBOXX

SUMMIT AUTO TRANSPORT

YotaMD

IH8MUD

Last edited:
This was my first time wheeling or attending a Land Cruiser event. I was amazed at how well everything went, and I attributed it to Chris and Stan planning well and emphasizing comms with the staff during the entire event. I was completely confident during the runs, partly due to my 100 and partly due to the leadership. All my runs were great, Black Bear on my last morning in CO was pretty cool:

I need to give a big shout-out to Mike Smith at BUMP IT OFFROAD. He was a pleasure to work with as I bought and outfitted armor for my truck last year, and he even ventured out in the rain and mud during the potluck to give me advice last week.

Next spring, if you are signing up for the first time, think long and hard about the comittment. I recommend waiting until the registration opens up, then sleep on it, maybe for a couple days. PM a few veterans and wait for them to respond before you sign up. Seriously, I'm only looking out for you.......

Last edited:
I can't wait to be in a place in my life where I can join the festivities. Maybe next summer :) It's always a pleasure following the event, even from home. Don't overlook how many couch-participants you have out there; the support is indeed impressive.

I can't even begin to explain how much fun HIH7 was for me. All the hard work paid off and seeing the lot fill with friends driving great looking 100s was truly humbling. I spent two weeks either solo camping, or camping with some of the best friends in the world. Chris and I are friends far beyond wheeling or Land Cruisers and getting to see him and his family is always a highlight. I've seen his kids grow into young adults and I've become close with his very soon-to-be bride. They're special people to me and my family. It would take me ten posts to list all of the great friends that I have simply because of HIH. Many of them are friends far beyond this event. You know who you are and I appreciate our friendship more than you'll ever know.

My injury, long hospital stay and even longer rehab have opened my eyes to what it means to have true friends. It was this community that offered us more support and love than any other group of friends or family. Many of you were in the hospital to see me, sent texts, emails or phone calls and even more importantly, reached out to my wife to see if you could help in any way. Many of you are probably tired of hearing it, but less than two years ago, I was in a wheelchair. Driving a Land Cruiser was never far from my mind, but standing and walking again were priority number one for me. If the hand that I was dealt happened to be a bust, I know I'd have a group of friends willing to lift me out of a wheelchair and into an open seat at every HIH to come. Fortunately, I got lucky. I turned over a few aces and worked hard to get on my feet and learn how to put one foot in front of the other again. HIH6 was great, but I was still a long way from being right and I just couldn't enjoy it like I wanted to. HIH7 had me almost feeling like my old self again. Thank you all for the lifelong friendships I've made through this event. It's special beyond just being an event. It allows me to shake hands, high-five and hug some very important people in my life and I'm grateful beyond the words typed here. You know who you are. From Louisiana to Texas to Cali to Colorado... friends are friends.

I have a ridiculous amount of photos to sort through and although I just got home two days ago, I'm off to Montana for a few weeks with my son to fly fish, camp and wheel. I'll get to the other photos when I return and get them posted. I had a blast with the groups I was with and I truly appreciate that you entrust me with your safety on the trails. One of my favorite things to do is lead new drivers on Black Bear Pass. I get an incredible amount of enjoyment out of seeing folks break out of their shell and do something that they may not otherwise try. Watching nervous drivers as they learn what it feels like to lift a tire high into the air or climb an obstacle that they may bypass under any other circumstance is incredibly rewarding and I enjoy being a part of it. I led three Black Bear runs in the seven days I was in Silverton. The mix of experience in drivers and passengers was awesome and I'm grateful to all who joined me and helped. HIH is such a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere and it's a team effort when new drivers are mixed with experienced drivers on our runs. For the first time in a long time (first ever at HIH), I was just an attendee for a run. Chris' Poughkeepsie Gulch run is a blast and I'm usually the tail gunner, but with all the new trails and extra bodies, I was originally needed elsewhere for that day. Thanks to volunteers stepping up to take my trail leading duties on Friday, I was able to sandwich myself between Chris and Andy for what turned out to be an incredible day. I grabbed Anders (the Hooligan in the 40) and we jumped in to enjoy a great day with a large group between two fine trail leaders. The Wall was interesting and I was thrilled to help spot drivers up this tough obstacle. We tried bringing drivers up a few different lines, watched a near tipover, had some carnage and enjoyed the day. Anders and I stayed behind at the Wall to spot a large group of Xterras and Jeeps and then caught up with the group just prior to the 2017 Polar Plunge. 43 degree water is cold and I was all too happy to document the brave few swimmers from behind the lens. I will probably never earn the HIH Polar Plunge sticker, but I'll always be along the edge of the lake, camera in hand, laughing at those willing to shock their bodies with ice water.

My HIH adventure actually happened after the event. Leaving Silverton on Monday, I noticed that my voltage was reading very low. By the time I reached Montrose, I knew I had a real problem. My main battery was showing 10.5 and my aux battery was showing 11.1. Neither was charging. In a stroke of luck, my alternator waited until HIH was over before giving out. I pulled into Turner Toyota in Montrose and my truck stalled at the service entrance. Uh oh. Unfortunately, they didn't have an alternator and would not be able to get one for a few days. Even the local NAPA was four days out to get one. I had been gone for 10 days and I was really looking forward to getting home. So, I traded a case of HIH beer and some HIH swag for them to pull my truck in the back and charge both dead batteries. They gave me a ride over to the parts store and I bought a solar battery charger and a new Toyota battery from Turner. I was going to try and make it home with only battery power and no alternator. By the time the batteries were charged, it was 3:30pm and I still had a 5 hour drive to Denver. I wouldn't make it before dark and using the headlights would quickly leave me stranded on the side of the road. Aspen is slightly out of the way, but exactly in the middle between Montrose and Denver if you travel that way. I sent a text message to Tim @74bruiser and Anders @aegustafson (2/3rds of the Hooligans) in Aspen and let them know I was going to try and make it to their town. Both immediately replied with offers to help and a place to stay. I would expect nothing less from two great friends and I quickly grabbed a few tools from my tool box to swap batteries along the way and hit the road. I lost everything about 5 miles from Aspen and Tim was there within minutes with a battery booster to get me to his house. He had a battery charger all ready to go when we arrived and we immediately put the batteries on the charger. I had planned to leave Tim's house early the next morning, but a night on the town in Aspen proved to be more than my already tired and exhausted mind and body could handle. A late night turned into a late morning on the mean streets of the wealthiest town in America. I hit the road the following day with fully charged batteries, no a/c, no radio, and disconnected daytime running lights. 3 hours later, I was in my driveway...... just barely. I stalled about a mile from home and swapped batteries one more time making it home in limp mode. Alternator is ordered from my local (and MUCH less expensive) Toyota dealer and I'll be taking our other 100 to Montana while this one gets an energy boost.

Going through my photos from the last week makes me miss HIH7 already. We had some crazy weather. We ran trails in the clouds, high above the paved roads and amongst some of the most incredible wildflowers we’ve seen in years. We saw a large bear and a large bull moose. Lots of deer and elk and 100 of the nicest Land Cruisers in the country. I’m ready for HIH8 ….. Almost.

_

_

_

_

_

_

Last edited:
Some non-wheeling stuff......

This one isn't weird at all, it's just our Titanic moment from the corner of the deck overlooking an amazing field of 100 series Land Cruisers.

Six of the bravest people I know. HIH 2017 Lake Como Polar Plunge

_

The look of ice water running through your veins. @bluecruiser

_

What a great event! Everyone we met was beyond awesome, 100 series owners are the best! We hope to return next year as a supporting vender.
IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG

Last edited:
More to come but to get started here are some pictures from our great Black Bear - Ophir group on misty Saturday.

Sally managed to shoot most everyone on the waterfall climb:
DSC_1769.png

DSC_1738.png
DSC_1739.png
DSC_1741.png
DSC_1742.png

DSC_1744.png
DSC_1747.png
DSC_1748.png
DSC_1751.png
DSC_1753.png

... last shot is our tail gunner @1loudLX

Last edited:
Here are some photos extracted from my GoPro video of Black Bear on first day. Have tons of video from trails but will take some time to edit them down for posting.

Over the course of 8 days, we traveled 3,267 miles spending time in the Gunnison Valley visiting my alma mater and rafting the Taylor River, attending HIH, and finally visiting with close friends in Grand Junction. Because there was so much to do in 8 days, we arrived late on Wednesday and were probably the only group to head out of Silverton Saturday morning before the raffle (still not happy about that, but the trip to GJ was worth it).

This was my first time at HIH, my first experience off-road with the LC and, by far, the longest trip I've ever taken in the Cruiser. Other than consuming an insane amount of fuel, the truck was amazing. No mechanical issues, no codes, no vapor lock. Thanks to both @bluecruiser and @nakman for guiding our trips on Thursday and Friday and everyone else that made this event possible. My kids and I really had a great time.

Looking back, I wish I would've spent more time walking camp and introducing myself to other attendees and talking with the vendors. Everyone I did get a chance to hang out with was awesome and there were so many nice 100s to check out.

My daughter took most of our photos with my phone so they were hit or miss, but here are some of the more interesting ones.

Taylor Canyon
IMG_2940.JPG

Within minutes, my kids found people to play football with
IMG_2963.JPG

California to Corkscrew
IMG_2989.JPG

Animas Forks
IMG_3059.JPG

California to Corkscrew
IMG_3077.JPG

We spent 14 days on the road. We visited 5 National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, and Arches) and one State Park (Dead Horse Point). 3500 total miles driven. We didn't have enough time to really dive into Mesa Verde, but want to return. The best part of the trip was the 4 days we spent in Silverton at HIH7. Those 4 days were a blast for my family, so much to see and do, and a very well orchestrated event planned by Chris and Stan. Thank You once again guys.
P1010307.jpg

I wheeled California to Corkscrew on Thursday led by Chris. Awesome views and the flowers were impressive. We even had some time to get in the "Super Secret" run at the end of the day. Also ran into Stan's Black Bear Group going the opposite way. My kids didn't think it was much of a "Secret" after that.;)
P1010437.jpg

My Friday was the half day to Telluride via Ophir, which turned into a full day of wheeling when I made the decision to run Imogene from Telluride back to Silverton. That was a great experience, I tied in with a small Nissan Exterra group and they were very welcoming of the 100 series into their group. They had a 4 runner with them, so I knew they were cool. When I return, Imogene from the Ouray side is on my list. My kids were worried we would miss the potluck, we made it just in time.
P1010515.jpg

Saturday was Black Bear with Andy. I believe the Fog added a different factor into the experience and I was once again blown away with what we did, and saw on this trip. I felt like we had Black Bear to ourselves, we were never hurried by any other trail users and we stayed at the falls after the steps for quite a time. We even got to move some rocks after a small slide after the falls. That made the trip even better.
P1010560.jpg

I will tell that I believe that the highlight of the event is all the people that attend. Meeting new friends, putting faces to vehicles or MUD names is what I really enjoy about all these trips. Without all of you the trip would be missing something, so thank you to everybody for making this memorable. I plan on returning and I'm looking forward to 100's in Moab, I love that idea and I'm making plans to attend that event, when were those dates.:rofl:

Wow pictures are amazing, this place is so beautiful! I see someone with Maryland tags in some of the pics, i'm near there, it's a long haul to CO for sure.

We spent 14 days on the road. We visited 5 National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, and Arches) and one State Park (Dead Horse Point). 3500 total miles driven. We didn't have enough time to really dive into Mesa Verde, but want to return. The best part of the trip was the 4 days we spent in Silverton at HIH7. Those 4 days were a blast for my family, so much to see and do, and a very well orchestrated event planned by Chris and Stan. Thank You once again guys.View attachment 1509864

I wheeled California to Corkscrew on Thursday led by Chris. Awesome views and the flowers were impressive. We even had some time to get in the "Super Secret" run at the end of the day. Also ran into Stan's Black Bear Group going the opposite way. My kids didn't think it was much of a "Secret" after that.;) View attachment 1509853

My Friday was the half day to Telluride via Ophir, which turned into a full day of wheeling when I made the decision to run Imogene from Telluride back to Silverton. That was a great experience, I tied in with a small Nissan Exterra group and they were very welcoming of the 100 series into their group. They had a 4 runner with them, so I knew they were cool. When I return, Imogene from the Ouray side is on my list. My kids were worried we would miss the potluck, we made it just in time.View attachment 1509856

Saturday was Black Bear with Andy. I believe the Fog added a different factor into the experience and I was once again blown away with what we did, and saw on this trip. I felt like we had Black Bear to ourselves, we were never hurried by any other trail users and we stayed at the falls after the steps for quite a time. We even got to move some rocks after a small slide after the falls. That made the trip even better.View attachment 1509857

I will tell that I believe that the highlight of the event is all the people that attend. Meeting new friends, putting faces to vehicles or MUD names is what I really enjoy about all these trips. Without all of you the trip would be missing something, so thank you to everybody for making this memorable. I plan on returning and I'm looking forward to 100's in Moab, I love that idea and I'm making plans to attend that event, when were those dates.:rofl:

This is exactly why we keep doing the work to pull @100sinthehills together. Glad you guys had a great time!

IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
All I can do is echo @paflytyer (Stan) in saying, "WOW!" That was definitely the best HIH to date. They are all special to me in different ways but this one was really cool. Good to see such a mix of old friends and new in one spot. We are all enjoying the beauty of the San Juan mountains, while all sharing in our appreciation for the Land Cruiser and the joy it brings to us and our families.

Everyone I met was extremely gracious to both Stan and I for our efforts in pulling HIH together. That is extremely humbling and makes it all worthwhile. Stan and I always talk about how surreal it is that we "convince" a bunch of people pile in their rigs and bring their families from all over the country (and some from outside of it) just to come and enjoy the company of other like minded LC folks, based on a premise that we established. We just love getting together, wheeling, and enjoying a campfire. It's even better that we can get 250 plus other people out to enjoy it with us.

This year I had a couple of firsts. One was that my daughter, Lauren, missed her first trip out to the San Juans in the past 9 years. She's going to be a junior in college this year and I'm pretty sure she waited way too long to request her days off for HIH. She's definitely growing up but I know our history and memories at past HIH events will be something we reminisce about for years to come. I would be surprised to see her in her own LC some day out on the trails. Secondly, I was able to bring my fiancé, Kristin, out to HIH7. She's not a big time camper but she was game for our 9 day trip this year. She had a blast and. I think she was blown away by the community that we have at HIH. She also helped a lot to keep Stan and I focused at the event, which was nice. Haha.

Well, thanks guys for another good time. I'm looking forward to being able to share the video that my son, Logan, is putting together from all of the footage that he captured. It should be pretty cool. A big thanks to @NLXTACY , @IHScoutII75 , @smakee , @AimCOtaco , @benc , @B-RAD , @dubitup, and whoever else I may have missed that pitched in for the Solo Stove for each of us. Stan and I are stoked about that. Such a cool gift. Thank you!!

Hope to see you all next year at the Ocho!!! HIH8!!!

Here's some pics that I got on the iPhone.

I had just bought a Solo Stove for myself when @dubitup suggested getting you guys something special on FB. We eventually settled on the Solo Stoves which I agreed was a great idea. I think there were about 12 of us that happily donated to the cause.

Looking through all these pictures makes me wish I got around camp and talked to more people. I am seeing so many rigs, adults and kids that I have no recollection of seeing during the 4 days in Silverton or on the trails. And I didn't really drink that much beer so I can't blame that. Although, there were a couple of days that my camp neighbor Nick Ramos was pouring the tequila quite generously.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom