3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD | ADGU
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.yotamd.com
Tired of my cracking OEM key shell, I designed a shell to work with the internals of the 100 series key. Designed it in CAD and 3D printed in a durable nylon from Shapeways.

It took a few prototypes to get the dimensions right, but it's a great fit now. I started with the intent of making a direct replacement for the OEM style key shell, maintaining the integrated key, but I couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't cost north of $100 that would last.

*You can use key 90999-00185 with the fob remote in this shell if you want to slim down the key size. Thanks to guerasfj60 for the tip!

This thread is for the tech discussion related to this part. Sale related discussion at the thread below.

For Sale thread: 3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells

YotaMD.com - Products - 100 Land Cruiser Key Fob

fob_inhand.jpg

fob_ignition_far.jpg

Last edited:
neat and well done. This is a good place to discuss the tech side of the build, not so much the place to sell them. Please edit and advertise instead in the For sale / Vendor forum.

neat and well done. This is a good place to discuss the tech side of the build, not so much the place to sell them. Please edit and advertise instead in the For sale / Vendor forum.

Ah, will do. I checked before and didn't see a for sale section that seemed relevant, but I guess the General - Misc Small business section is best suited. Edit on its way!

Edited with thread created in the small business section (Awesome section, BTW! I've been so secluded in the 100 series section I didn't even know that small business area existed) and changing this one to a more tech oriented discussion. If this thread should be removed, that's fine too. No need to clutter up the forum if it doesn't belong.

Last edited:
Wow I really love this, like honestly, next spare $40 is going to you. I just gotta ask... are production costs really that high? I haven't dealt with 3d printing a whole lot so just wondering, not complaining.

Getting one as soon as you print more green. Need to figure out a quick release - can't handle smacking against plastic off-roading.

Wow I really love this, like honestly, next spare $40 is going to you. I just gotta ask... are production costs really that high? I haven't dealt with 3d printing a whole lot so just wondering, not complaining.
3D printing can be all over the place. There a bunch of different methods and materials from super brittle plastics to real-deal titanium. Shapeways offers the best value I've found so that's what I use for these as of now. The production costs are roughly 1/3 of the overall price. The remaining revenue goes towards the hardware, shipping, overhead and of course profit. :) If I sell a good amount I'll eventually drop the price slightly as my initial investment is recovered.

The most difficult thing was the CAD modeling and getting a really good fit. The overall design was done in a few hours - most the time spent on getting the filets and rounded surfaces to look right. From there it took a few prototypes printed up to figure out what dimensions needed tweaking to get the right fit. Thankfully it's a simple shape and they used relatively round figures when designing it.

Getting one as soon as you print more green. Need to figure out a quick release - can't handle smacking against plastic off-roading.

Green should arrive late this week and I'll get the photo and "buy now" link updated at that time. Check the for sale thread linked in the first post for follow up info. Agreed on the quick release for off-roading. I'll look into adding that. Good suggestion.

a tiny carabiner should do fine if not very elegant. You'd want it secure though. (And you'd want to check that the transmitter is not too far from the receiver?)

a tiny carabiner should do fine if not very elegant. You'd want it secure though. (And you'd want to check that the transmitter is not too far from the receiver?)

With the transponder key like I have pictured the distance shouldn't matter - security receiver being in the key and all. If you're using a blank metal key then there are certainly distance concerns with the remote, but I haven't tried that myself. A buddy has been using a small keyring with a metal key with this fob shell successfully, but I don't think he's tried pushing it farther until it's out of range.

My understanding is that the key receiver is only in the equation during starting anyways. I don't think it'll shut the engine down while in motion, will it?

Do you recall what the specific nylon was that these were printed from? I'd guess that PETG would work well for this type of print as well.

Titanium or SS McGizmo clip and split ring would be my choice.

I didn't know those McGizmo clips were called that, but I agree. I have that on another key chain and it works great.

Do you recall what the specific nylon was that these were printed from? I'd guess that PETG would work well for this type of print as well.
PA 2200 from EOS is the exact material. Polyamide white powder.

So if I already had a simple key cut, I would have to buy a transmitter and program to my vehicle, eh?
I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate on what you're asking?

You'll need the remote internals to place into the key fob. The actual key is up to you. Plain metal keys will work, but if you have a long keychain you may have problems getting the remote transponder to register with the ignition. I use the transponder key and it works very well.

...My understanding is that the key receiver is only in the equation during starting anyways. I don't think it'll shut the engine down while in motion, will it?
It's only used during starting. The rod in my ignition cylinder broke last year and I used a screwdriver to start it for a week while waiting on parts. Transponder had to be near the key ring while starting, but could then be removed.

Just ordered one. I'm down to only the one fob/key right now and was going to have to get another.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate on what you're asking?

You'll need the remote internals to place into the key fob. The actual key is up to you. Plain metal keys will work, but if you have a long keychain you may have problems getting the remote transponder to register with the ignition. I use the transponder key and it works very well.

Sorry. I literally just got a new key made for our LX (this week) as one of the two transponder keys we got when we bought the vehicle had a broken plastic case.

The local lock smith ordered a new blank for us, and before she cut the transponder blank, she cut a non-transponder blank as kind of a test. At the end of the transaction I had a new key with my old transponder guts in the housing, plus a key that would unlock the doors - but no transponder.

I am wondering if I can get a new transponder, program it to my vehicle, put it in one of your groovy housings, and then use it with the key my local locksmith cut for me?

Just ordered one. I'm down to only the one fob/key right now and was going to have to get another.

Sweet. Your part should ship out this week. I'll send tracking when it does.

Sorry. I literally just got a new key made for our LX (this week) as one of the two transponder keys we got when we bought the vehicle had a broken plastic case.

The local lock smith ordered a new blank for us, and before she cut the transponder blank, she cut a non-transponder blank as kind of a test. At the end of the transaction I had a new key with my old transponder guts in the housing, plus a key that would unlock the doors - but no transponder.

I am wondering if I can get a new transponder, program it to my vehicle, put it in one of your groovy housings, and then use it with the key my local locksmith cut for me?

Ah, ok, now I follow. Yes that should work just fine. If you have a really long keychain (>2" or so) it may be an issue, but with a normal key ring the transponder will remain close enough to work well.

Ah, ok, now I follow. Yes that should work just fine. If you have a really long keychain (>2" or so) it may be an issue, but with a normal key ring the transponder will remain close enough to work well.

Thanks. I would just keep it on a little key ring, like what you have pictured. Now I need to see about ordering just the transponder.

THANK YOU. Ordered. Well done, I have been using a chip key without fob for 2 years now. After breaking one with an entire load of adults headed to a concert. You would think the guys designing the 100 would have put as much thought in the remote key from a durability standpoint. They must have missed the mission statement for the 100, 25 years on the road in HARSH conditions. The current remote key is frag g lay to say the least.

Nicely done! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom