sept long weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone want to try Walker Valley this weekend I will be camping near by. Give me a shout.

Gee, last minute invite! . . . . Lol!

I'd be up for it but already have a full agenda of wheeling, hiking, geocaching.

Maybe next time!

:)

Was up in Mud Lakes yesterday doing a tour from Tyax. The beavers have been busy and there is a fairly deep section of water over the trail just between the lakes and the creek crossings. Didn't quite need the snorkel on the HDJ but was a bit hairy for the Delica (update....water got somewhere it shouldn't in the delica and now an electrical problem to track down). There was a tree floating over the trail that needed pushing out of the way. With some solid rain it will probably be deeper still. Only other people we saw was a volkswagon van at the first (pre-hill) campsite. We stopped after the creek crossings and didnt go up the mountain but it looked like there might have been a bit of blowdown that needed cutting. Tyax has a wicked nice hot tub now and the massage there is mighty fine....

Last edited:
Yes nice weekend out .thanks guys and Christie. Almost a thousand km of nice scenic touring. Not exactly a winching expedition but that could have been driver related., definitely no cupcakes behind the wheel on this trip. Oh FYI six trucks through the china slide in under six minutes ,passengers and dogs didn't even get out , can't see any reason why some would post that it is closed, when clearly it is totally passible, quite easy actually.

great trip. thanks everyone specially Scott for the planning, navigating, and of course the unbelivable meals. cant wait for the second a annual cupcake trip.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

can't see any reason why some would post that it is closed, when clearly it is totally passible, quite easy actually.

I can't say too much cause I didn't see the trail, but I can give you one reason. Trail conditions change, and other people could have seen it all when it was still saturated and fresh from the slide, now that it has had time to settle and dry out, it could be now considered easy. I have in the past seen a trail go from walk in the park dry drive over with a stock truck to a winch fest with two fully locked trucks on 36-38in swampers. Also other people have different defentions of easy. Just saying. :hillbilly:

I agree with Deny, take the Whipsaw for example, I've done that trail in 4 hours one time, and 2 days at a different time. Same truck, same skill, different times of the year. If you are just trying to get a rise out of someone do it elsewhere.

I hear you on weather conditions, this was bone dry out. I wouldn't want to do 3/4 of the trails if it was wet that's for sure. The purpose of the trip was to volunteer to open up a road, that was impassible . By no means was it a waste of gas , we ended up having the whole weekend to tour around at different areas.john and Christie got some nice photo's for you matt,but I don't think they took any of the slide cause we didn't even stop. I would have loved to seen the delica in the water that was deep,nice guiding for sure, hope its a quick fix.

Hi Guys.

Had a great time. thanks for making the effort to get out. john did a great job fixing a stranded f350 that showed up early Monday morning with no brakes... my brake light is still on from the fluid donations we all made to get him going again...lol

we had tons of food.. I don't think I will eat bacon again till next year...

thanks to George for cannibalizing his bbq to get a thermometer for the smoker which I forgot to bring... it made all the difference to know what the temp was...

The better looking 1/2 of the 4 runner crew took a ton of pics for us to look at.. well done! (and I don't mean you Chris.:doh:..lol) although I would have been stuck for dish soap and oil had you not been there..(I did a crappy packing job this time round)

sas brought the generator which was very helpful, and gave us all leason on how to make a great camp fire. Razz made a huge effort to fix his gwagon and show up after a long night drive!

we did make it to the slide area on sat, and we never took a wrong turn, but we did spend a bit of time figuring out the maps and gps to not get lost... (it looked a bit different from last year, but we were doing it in a different direction and I was blindly following a group last time...but we made it:bounce::bounce2:)

we did get past the slide area with a bit of scoping out of the area on sat. we just bypassed the slide and came in from above. it was a easy route, just not the same route as was covered by the slide....I imagine it will become the new route now as to fix the old route is pointless, it will just keep coming down.

we saw a bunch of ktm guys, and a 1 unimog, a few stock trucks and a ton of quads. oh and one beaver which George almost washed away...

all in all a good trip!!!!

Interested in hearing more about the new route as I plan a return trip back up there soon.

Any pics of it or GPX file to compare against mine?

Send me some good pics for the calendar! (Hint hint!). :beer:

Interested in hearing more about the new route as I plan a return trip back up there soon.

Any pics of it or GPX file to compare against mine?

not really a new route, just a bit of a detour at the end of the old one, There is a logging road just above the trail, its maybe 200m to the south. go down that road about 200-300 m and drop in and cross the creek and you are back on the trail. its really quite easy, just looks a lot harder than it is. the road is not visible from the trail, so you have to know its there,

it is however the same road that the trail ends on by the bridge. that road goes to a cut block.

just fyi.. you cross the creek about 3-4 times along that section anyway and cross the creek right at the end of the trail past the slide, as well. so a new creek crossing should not be an issue, in fact, its the same number of crossing cause there is one less at the end now, so nothing has really changed in that respect save a few bushes.

Yup I know exactly where you mean, I guess you didn't see my post last week from when I was there last Sunday.

The crossing we took is way more fish friendly than the older entrance running right up the only habitat pool of that stretch of road. Really can't see why they would put a road entrance crossing right at the bridge weir. If that was a new project they would have gone the way we did ,I would think,,but its not exactly log bunk friendly. Ps I hear they're culverting the secret spot entrance as of yesterday.

i have to thanks scott for all the nice foods he did.Sasn for the nevigation triaL know;edge & much more,& geoge for the gas rescure , chris for the breakfast served. i am so overwhelm what a crew like these can perform in an outdoor activities, thanks again for i am so bless.

Last edited:
lol.. no kidding... ive had break fluid in my truck for about three years... got the fridge this year and did a clean out of stuff.. i remember taking out the bottle and thinking i better remember to put that back in... :doh:

there i was when this guy pulls up and says... i need break fluid... fxxxkkkkk... i forgot to put it back in...lol

credit goes to john as he's the one that got his hands dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom