Semi-Float Rear Axle Rebuild Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear axle oil seals are shot leaking a bunch of diff fluid all over my drums, I have received the kit to do the seals and bearings just one question. Do I have to go inside the rear diff and undo a C-Clip to take the rear axles out or is that just in 40s and 55s? Sorry if this has already been answered I just couldn't find any info on semi-floating (KO82) rear axles in the 70 series. Any advice is appreciated!

No inside clips on a KZJ axle, some BJ may have them though. C-clips tend to only be a thing on diffs that have a cover that comes off the back. Most but not all 70 series are the closed back & removable carrier assembly type diff - you have to remove the axles to remove the carrier so if you had to get inside the carrier to remove the axles you'd be a bit screwed...

Cheers
Clint

My rear axle oil seals are shot leaking a bunch of diff fluid all over my drums, I have received the kit to do the seals and bearings just one question. Do I have to go inside the rear diff and undo a C-Clip to take the rear axles out or is that just in 40s and 55s? Sorry if this has already been answered I just couldn't find any info on semi-floating (KO82) rear axles in the 70 series. Any advice is appreciated!

If this is for your red truck (you should indicate what truck you are working on— many, many different types of 70 series trucks over 30+ years), yes, inspection cover comes off, remove clips, pull axle shafts, press off bearing assy, press on mew ones install oil seals and gaskets and reinstall.

If this is for your red truck (you should indicate what truck you are working on— many, many different types of 70 series trucks over 30+ years), yes, inspection cover comes off, remove clips, pull axle shafts, press off bearing assy, press on mew ones install oil seals and gaskets and reinstall.
Ahhhhh shoot my bad. Totally blanked and was just thinking like I was posting in my own build thread. To anyone reading this 10 years from now I have a 1987 BJ75. As always I appreciate the help Onur!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom