Seeking advice on a possible purchase 2013 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
New user here yet long time lurker.
Mods please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forums.

I am seeking advise on purchasing a used 2013 GX460 locally clocking @150,000miles and seller is asking close to 15k USD. Located in SoCal. Went to check the vehicle last week end and my first approach was to inspect under the hood where it seemed to have the dreaded timing cover leak, and also maybe loosing coolant(possible valley plate leak) slightly for the reservoir was running out of coolant. Radiator seemed like it was replaced some time ago for its age. The engine fired up smoothly from cold to normal temp.
Took the car for a test drive, and to my surprise it did not take-off like a V8 engine although the trans seemed to shift smoothly and responsive when I was speed shifting. One other thing I noticed that there was some steering wheel shaking at some driving conditions not too drastic but it was there, not sure if it were the tires(looked new).
Body on it already has some minor mishaps like broken tail light, front passenger side bumper damage, and driver door panel damage(at least). Looking to purchasing the vehicle as a backup vehicle and occasional secondary slight overlanding rig with the family.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, and willing to tackle the mentioned possible leaks, and with the asking price I am not quite sure if the price is right.

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Current vehicles:
2017 Yota Highlander AWD al factory
2000 4runner 4x4 rear locked

Reactions: r2m
One thing to note is Toyota REALLY softened up the throttle response and it makes it feel lazy and sluggish off the line. You can either get an ECU tune (YotaWerx) or a throttle controller like Pedal Commander to sharpen up the throttle response. I've used both and both work for this purpose.

As for the other issues, isn't too surprising. I had the coolant valley leak for a while and it wasn't losing much coolant so you could in theory drive a bit on it until you're ready to get the service done. The timing cover leak should be addressed. I have zero doubt that radiator has been replaced. ~150k is around the average replacement mileage due to the plastic having so many heat cold cycles over that mileage. I replaced mine around that mileage in my 2010 and also the coolant valley plate leak was also done around that mileage.

As long as the service history and current condition are good with everything else I'd say go for it. I paid $15k for my 2010 back in August 2020 when it had 134k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
As MrTorque says, you really have to put your foot into it to get a little kick in the butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom