SOLD Seattle : Jan 72' FJ40 - Automatic, V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(100, 173, 241)
Asking $33,500

I purchased this 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 in 2020. The previous owner had acquired the truck in AZ, and completed a frame-off restoration from 04-11.
A blend of original equipment with modern upgrades, it is powered by a Chevy 350 V8 and has been converted to automatic transmission – TH350 mated to the stock FJ40 transfer case. It has a rebuilt title in the state of Washington and will come with all hard-copy documentation and receipts from its previous restoration to-date. I have maintained it exclusively with the experts at Torfab in Everett, WA apart from routine services. The mechanics are in top shape as expected for a recently restored 50-year-old FJ and essentially new engine with 3776mi.

Upgrades: Ron Davis radiator and transmission cooler. 4″ lift springs, four-wheel disc brakes, power steering, and Flaming River slip style drive shaft and recent front and rear U-joint replacement. It was professionally rewired in the fall of 2020. A kill switch was added at that time as well as a USB port in the dash for peace of mind. 2022 - custom camshaft from Delta Camshaft installed and new lifters.

Equipment includes a removable hardtop on the River Blue body, Warn locking front hubs, custom front bumper/winch plate and 4PlusProducts rear bumper with a swing-away cargo basket and receiver hitch, modern head and taillights, 35” BFG mud terrain tires and matching spare. Corbeau seats. Cruiser Corps front and rear cargo mats. Also included in the sale: new headliner, various spare parts, finishing emblems, and fasteners. California Car Covers custom cover. Two new 20L Wavian gas cans.

A set of aftermarket, primed, rear split doors and weatherstripping will be included. The specifics on the split door project are included in this forum post : '72 FJ40 Barn doors / Hinge bolt inaccessibility question - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/72-fj40-barn-doors-hinge-bolt-inaccessibility-question.1228264/ . I found the doors to be very tight in a test fit after successfully trying a couple Rivnuts for the hinges as suggested. The wood was a temporary fix until testing body fit became a possibility/priority.

The body shows signs of rust around contact points and near the lift gate that are visible in the images. Weatherstripping is 8/10 overall, mainly rear driver side window is what I would replace next. Stock heater works great. Drivers window mechanics are sticky, and door and hatch locks are present but without keys.

I’m selling due to a garage conversion. She’s such a beauty and deserves to be indoors!

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

1_3.jpg

1_4.jpg

1_5.jpg

Last edited:
Lowering the price : $29,500

After we bought this from Brian 2 years ago, we put a good chunk of coin into electrical and safety adjustments to steering and drivetrain with the guys up at Torfab. Understanding that sometimes the work you put in may not equate to a value at sale, I'm simply hoping to not end up deep in the red!

Great rig. Well presented factually. Hope it goes to a good home. It’s deserving. Curious about the usb kill switch. Don’t mean to hijack your for sale ad. You can PM me details should you choose to do so.

Great rig. Well presented factually. Hope it goes to a good home. It’s deserving. Curious about the usb kill switch. Don’t mean to hijack your for sale ad. You can PM me details should you choose to do so.
Thanks for the feedback! The USB and the kill switch are not related to one another, except for the timing of install. Initially wanted to USB hidden in the glove box, but there was some miscommunication during the rewire process.

2_11.jpg

Took it for a sellers inspection this week : Exhaust manifold gasket needed in the near future.

Happy to hear offers on this and am feeling flexible since it's been on since May 1. I would like to sell before it starts raining in Seattle!

Listed locally at $21,500.

Last edited:
HI can you advise why it has a "reconstructed" title?
I understand the PO bought it with a rebuilt title in AZ prior to to the frame off restoration, but don't have any more details.

It has met all WA state safety inspections post rebuild, and is in daily driver condition.

Rebuild title might have something to do with the hard top corner window differences? Looks like the hard top side panels are of different vintages as one corner window is recessed and other gasket is not.? Love the color! GLWS!

UPDATE since there have been a few inquiries on sale status behind the scenes:

This has been de-listed locally, where there was lots of interest around 21 but was a true bath for us, so my husband pushed to invest in it: installing a new custom camshaft from Delta Cam in Tacoma, and I can't understate what a blast it's been to drive since the upgrade.

As a result of the above (and pressure from my better half), I am keeping it active at $27K obo, as before. Happy to hear offers, but still happy to drive it and want to be transparent.

-Lauren

CRZR45 has a good eye spotting the back side windows, I never noticed.

I agree. An explanation would be helpful. I’m searching for a stock Jan 72 land cruiser and this is close. I can accept the SBC but the fitment issues worry me

Last edited:
I agree. An explanation would be helpful. I’m searching for a stock Jan 72 land cruiser and this is close. I can accept the SBC but the fitment issues worry me
I've combed the PO's blog and threads linked in main listing above, but nothing is ever referenced in regard to sourcing body panels of different years for any part of the rebuild. He explained during the sale that it came to him rebuilt but wasn't a concern due to the complete overhaul he was undertaking. The differences in body panels became apparent to me when I went to confirm OEM weatherstripping needed those windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom