sealing the hardtop from rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i removed the fiberglass roof off my 40 to repair the gutter.what would be the best sealer to place in between the fiber roof and the gutter so as not to let water and moisture seep through and rust up my new gutter?any suggestions?any shared experiences with this would be appreciated.it rains almost half the year where i live. ???

Well, my boss and I pulled the fiberglass cap off his 40 about 2 weeks ago. We pulled it off to clean up the metal on the hardtop sides and to put a new headliner in it. When we put it back together we used a combo of rubber and silicone. He went down the local auto parts store and bought some generic weatherstrip that was 1" wide, 1/8" thick and in 4' strips. We put some clear silicon on the top and bottom of the rubber when we sandwiched it back between the cap and sides. I don't know exactly how well it will hold up. Time will tell I guess, but he did run it by the car wash 2 nights ago and it didn't leak. Just and idea. Good luck!

For the sides, I use the wide "RV" type foam weatherstripping you can buy from autoparts stores. Using that alone works pretty good to keep moisture or rain from coming in through the seams on the sides.

For the front, I use the "RV" type foam weatherstripping and lots of silicone.

As Design311 suggests, any wide weatherstripping does the job. I buy the "RV" type foam weatherstripping becasue it's ALOT cheaper, and when you take the hardtop off you don't have to be careful when removing the weatherstrip. Since it's so cheap, you can just rip/scrape or whatever you have to do to get it off.

i used tar, i found it at my local hardware store, it is used to seal RVs and what not. i found it work best over RV sealent. the problem w/ tar is its a mess and hard to clean up. FYI: it smells really bad. but is works.

You may consider Butyl Rubber. It comes in a tube that you can load into your calking gun. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was less than $10 for the cartridge.

It stays soft and flexible, so when the top flexes or expands and contracts with temperature variation, it will keep the seal. It has worked for me so far.

Good luck

Of all the previously mentioned ways to get it done, the butyl is the best...so far:) Use a white gelcoat paint for the fiberglass top, and 3M dripcheck for the rain gutter. 3M also makes a good body seal sealer, non drying and remains flexible. Silicone is not recommended due to it's slightly acidic qualities..it can lead to rust promotion. Use a "body finishing" specific caulk/sealer....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom