Scrap steel shenanigans. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next scrap steel project.
IMG_20200707_085703020_HDR.jpg

Changing it up a bit and making the lower die holder height adjustable, I need to finish machining all the parts but I'm thinking about making it accept the standard CP dies oddball size even though I'm currently planning on making all my own tooling.
IMG_20200708_095426704.jpg

That'll be a lot of work, making all the tooling! Good thing is you can customize it to the way you want 😏 😉🙂😳😎🐷👍🇺🇸
These little projects are literally me trying to stay busy out in the shop without spending any money. I have 3 or 4 broken 300M 35 spline axles floating around that should make good die material and stay within my budget.
The fun part is poking around here in the shop looking at all my junk trying to find that perfect chunk of scrap to make something cool.

Made a little progress today.

Finished machining the adjustable lower die holder with a shrink fit to the threaded shaft.
IMG_20200708_163921842.jpg

I think this will work ok for what I need it to do. Little bit more machine work to the top mount then weld everything together.
IMG_20200708_190738007.jpg

Cut the grip off an old air hammer and shortened the shroud then drilled and taped it for an air fitting.
IMG_20200708_195034430.jpg

No shrink dies/anvils? Is that not a thing? Not sure if that would work or not but was wondering about how well a knurled/serrated anvil would do in some instances, other than leaving a bunch of punch marks everywhere.

Very cool Jmac, can’t wait to see it done.
I’ve never enjoyed bodywork enough to do much, mostly just the race cars which ever only had to be so good.

No shrink dies/anvils?
I don't know much about the particulars but I believe they use a thumbnail die and do a bunch of tucks when shrinking.
Main.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom