School me (please) on buying new Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do buy out of state, you well have to smog it to get it registered in Ca. Any new car bought in Ca. does not need to be smoged for the fist five years :bang:

It's 8 years now, and the smog test for out of State Vehicle purchases only applies to used... Unless it has changed. If you're a Kalifornia resident, and you purchase a NEW vehicle out of State, you still have to pay Kalif Registration and VLFs . This only applies to vehicles that meet 50-State emissions.

It's 8 years now, and the smog test for out of State Vehicle purchases only applies to used... Unless it has changed. If you're a Kalifornia resident, and you purchase a NEW vehicle out of State, you still have to pay Kalif Registration and VLFs . This only applies to vehicles that meet 50-State emissions.
Unless it changed, my new truck had to be smoged when I purchase it out of state in 2018 and every other year since

And it's California

Your right it was changed in 2019 to 8 years, But you must pay a smog abatement fee.
Any can new or used car bought out of state needs to be smoged to be register in Ca.
New cars need 50 state emissions, used car don't. ;)

Just another reason to wait to buy a new Truck until I get the fawk out of Kalifornia ...

Don't blame me, I voted for the Recall :geek:

Just another reason to wait to buy a new Truck until I get the fawk out of Kalifornia ...

Don't blame me, I voted for the Recall :geek:
Your probably a transplant anyways.
I didn't, don't wait just leave if your not happy here. 🤷‍♂️

I was actually just talking with my friends about this last night. Smog and buying out of state, vs buying in state.
Apparently, if you buy out of state, it cannot be smogged until 1k miles on the odometer, and you have to pay $1k. I live in a first-year smog county: we don't have to do annual smog, after the initial purchase.
Almost every dealer in CA I've looked into has new trucks, listed at 5-10k over MSRP, due to demand and limited supply. I've found 1 within a couple hour drive that isn't jacking up prices.
I'm still a month or more from buying. Have a lead on a job, so hoping in the next couple weeks, that excuse will be null.

In the meantime, I have a 3rd gen 4Runner project I just acquired, needing an engine swap. I will either flip it after I fix it, or drive it for a while.

Either way, I am not in a rush. This current market for cars, both new and used, is great for resale, but is asinine for new cars having inflated prices. I hope to sell both my 1st gen Tacoma and 3rd gen 4Runner (once ready), and be close to 1/2 way in to a new Tacoma.

I was actually just talking with my friends about this last night. Smog and buying out of state, vs buying in state.
Apparently, if you buy out of state, it cannot be smogged until 1k miles on the odometer, and you have to pay $1k. I live in a first-year smog county: we don't have to do annual smog, after the initial purchase.
Almost every dealer in CA I've looked into has new trucks, listed at 5-10k over MSRP, due to demand and limited supply. I've found 1 within a couple hour drive that isn't jacking up prices.
I'm still a month or more from buying. Have a lead on a job, so hoping in the next couple weeks, that excuse will be null.

In the meantime, I have a 3rd gen 4Runner project I just acquired, needing an engine swap. I will either flip it after I fix it, or drive it for a while.

Either way, I am not in a rush. This current market for cars, both new and used, is great for resale, but is asinine for new cars having inflated prices. I hope to sell both my 1st gen Tacoma and 3rd gen 4Runner (once ready), and be close to 1/2 way in to a new Tacoma.
I did buy from out of state so I am talking first hand experience.
Since it was fore years a go I looked it up so I would not be post BS, all the info is on line. I out lined it in post #48
When I got mine there was no 1K Fee and a I did not have to wait tell it had 1K miles again first hand experience. when doing the research there was nothing about fee or the miles.
All the info is out there you just have to look before you post ;)
When I got mine truck it was a last years model and 10 K under sticker so it was worth going out of state to get it :p

My previous post may not have been as clear. The $1k and 1k miles was mentioned during the discussion with my friends.

That said, as much as I trust my friends, I will not take their word as gospel.

I certainly will be doing my research prior to buying, and I appreciate the feedback everyone has posted, both for my own knowledge, and anyone else considering buying new that may use this info. This thread has been part of the research. I have plenty of time to check out the regs with the DMV. And, I don't presume that everything posted is absolutely correct either, and neither should anyone else.

IF I do buy out of state, 50 state emissions compliant will be a requirement (and for what I know, most are already from the factory; I don't intend to get dealer or specialty add-ons that may negate compliance, prior to smogging). Since I only have the initial smog, I can modify it later, if I choose.

The previous years model is how I've bought new ATVs and motorcycles, with significant savings. I'm familiar enough with dealerships to know when to buy, having worked at dealerships prior, and having several family members who are in new and used car sales.

Thanks for the info and clarification @Broski

Kalif considers any vehicle with 7500 miles or less at time of purchase or trade to be a new vehicle. Kalif reg will differ depending on whether you purchased from a dealer or PP or if it was a gift.

There are also exemptions for Military personnel and/or if vehicle was acquired in a divorce or other legal deal. It's all very convoluted and entirely designed to make you just buy in Kalif.

Best bet is to reg through AAA if buy something out of State. At least AAA is working for you.

Kalif considers any vehicle with 7500 miles or less at time of purchase or trade to be a new vehicle. Kalif reg will differ depending on whether you purchased from a dealer or PP or if it was a gift.

There are also exemptions for Military personnel and/or if vehicle was acquired in a divorce or other legal deal. It's all very convoluted and entirely designed to make you just buy in Kalif.

Best bet is to reg through AAA if buy something out of State. At least AAA is working for you.
I think you need to check you facts. The only difference in Reg when you buy from a dealer is they collect the fees. Including buying from a dealer out of state

I do agree that using AAA is a much better experience

And I know nothing about how they do things in Kalif, Everything I have post applies to Laws in the good old state of Calif.

Last edited:
It's clear why you misunderstand the facts by your misunderstanding of basic spelling, grammar, and conjugation.

But good on you for being one of the people who make Calif, Kalif.

I'd post the DMV fact sheet, but I don't care if you don't care to know.

Well at least you right about one thing my spelling and grammar.

I do like facts, please post the sheet

Last edited:
Well, in an effort to add some closure to this thread, I wanted to share my recent addition. I picked up this sexy beast yesterday.

2022 TRD OR, new. Dealer installed lift, wheel/tire package, and sliders. Has plenty of creature comforts, but not totally stocked on extras that raised the price tag.

She's a blast to drive, has plenty of power, handles very well, even with the lift.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback everyone has provided, and am very happy with this truck, and plan to keep it for a long time. Thank you all so much. I would have gone with the SR or SR5 (maybe) and bare bones creature comfort, if it wasn't for y'all's insight. Compared to my 2001 Tacoma and my work truck, the seats are plenty comfy; this may change as they age, however, I also appreciated the insight on the seats.

Now, I guess I need to flatten my baseball hat brim, and start calling everyone "bro" or "brah" ;)

PXL_20211212_180553643.jpg

PXL_20211212_180604582.jpg

She's a beauty!

I presume dealer installed the TRD lift package (as opposed to aftermarket) ?

I'm still in the market but have been hearing horror stories of Finance Officers hammering people to take 3rd party extended warranties for up to $5K! Did you experience any of that ?

What extras are you less-than thrilled with?

Supply is still low around me, in So Cal - They're available, but at quite a mark up, in most cases... I don't see the 2022 TRD pro available yet?

Cheers!

She's a beauty!

I presume dealer installed the TRD lift package (as opposed to aftermarket) ?

I'm still in the market but have been hearing horror stories of Finance Officers hammering people to take 3rd party extended warranties for up to $5K! Did you experience any of that ?

What extras are you less-than thrilled with?

Supply is still low around me, in So Cal - They're available, but at quite a mark up, in most cases... I don't see the 2022 TRD pro available yet?

Cheers!

Yeah, it's a dealer installed lift.

I did get hammered about 3rd party warranties. They were very pushy about GAP insurance. Declined all, as my insurance already has it, and has better coverage. The extras, especially the fully loaded warranty, was over $100/mo extra. I would rather pocket that money, and IF I ever need it, I have the savings.

It only has 70 miles on it right now, so still early about the extras. The lane notification (beeps when you cross a line) was obnoxious, but also handy, especially when used with the cruise control radar. Nothing has been especially obvious about things I could do without, but I will update after more use.

I bought in Modesto, which is one of the few dealerships not doing a "market fee" or other terminology. They had several lifted TRD ORs on the lot, but they've been selling them quick. While at the dealership, for under 4 hours, there were over a half dozen other parties interested in the truck.

I wasn't really looking for TRD Pros. I've seen a few online, but usually they're gone in a day or two. I found mine earlier this week, and called and put money down, or else it would've been gone too.

The market is very volatile right now, and doesn't seem to reflect normal or traditional patterns (December usually being a slow month). I think it's totally due to the chip and vehicle shortage, plus a certain level of panic buying (lots of folks with money that want/need to buy).

I was looking anywhere between L.A. and Sacramento, if that helps. There's great deals in Phoenix area also, just FYI. I almost bought there, but didn't want to deal with DMV and having to take time off work.

Good luck and post up @Spike Strip when you get one.

That's excellent info - I've been put off by the shortages and since I don't have a need right now (only a want :shame: ) I'm hoping that by middle of next year things *may* have calmed down enough for supply to increase.

Honestly, I'm only interested in the TRD pro for 2022 because that metallic green is killer for me. Prolly not the easiest to maintain in an off road truck, but :meh:

Also, just an FYI - You might want to check with the dealership to verify this TSB was done, if you're feeling the trans is hunting for gearing; although it's supposed to be preloaded into newer models, but I've been reading where many are finding it has not, since it's dealer responsibility.

Thanks and good luck.

Reactions: YMT
Love it. Nice truck.

Curious on how they kept the OR grill with factory lift. Believe the 21 factory dealer lift made you buy the pro grill and tss relocation as well as disabling the fog lights.

Love it. Nice truck.

Curious on how they kept the OR grill with factory lift. Believe the 21 factory dealer lift made you buy the pro grill and tss relocation as well as disabling the fog lights.

Hmm, I honestly don't have a clue. It's a 2022, if that matters. All the OR at the dealership had the same grilles, but I'm not sure if they had the tss relocated or not. This was the only lifted one I drove, the rest were all factory height.

Maybe it's dealer specific?

Probably not the TRD lift kit, just whatever lift kit the dealer wanted to throw on there. What did your purchase agreement say? If it says TRD lift kit then that dealer owes you a Pro grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom