School me: "best" starting point Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking about a Tacoma as a platform to build a beefy overland expedition vehicle. Emphasis would be on reliability and functionality not bells and whistles... KISS. Beefy means I want to be able to do significantly challenging trails shy of rock crawling status. I'm wondering what people think about year and model that will provide a solid basic platform. I want to stay away from known problems the tacomas have had here and there over the years so things to avoid would be helpful as well.
On a related note Toyota is offering 0% financing right now so that's got my attention.
Thanks.

Budget?

I'd say a 1st gen. 2001-2004 for the vertical style grille. All problems are known and the aftermarket is strong.

Later second gen Taco is my suggestion based on what I've seen the guys in CLCC do in CO and UT.

A few questions b/c not all combos exist.
Auto or Manual?
2 seater, Access/King Cab or double cab?
5 or 6 foot bed?

3rd gen started in 2016 and changed from the venerable 4.0 to the 3.5. A lot of people complained about the 3.5 when it first came out. Never having driven the 4.0 I don't have a frame of reference but I have no issue with the 3.5. The 3rd gen also has an auto trans that's been tuned for mileage so it wants to get to 6th as soon as possible. This ends up causing more down shifts than I'm used to when getting on the gas even a bit. Aside from the styling changes the chassis are essentially the same. Most suspension systems for the 2nd gen will work on the 3rd gens. The diff gears are different ratios manual vs. auto. TRD Offroad and TRD Pro include the rear e-locker. Harrop makes an e-locker for both the rear and the front. Lots of suspension options. My TRD Pro has a King suspension with an add-a-leaf in the rear and it rides great (haven't wheeled it yet). There is a frame section that sticks out in to the front wheel well that may need to be cut and capped if you want 33+ inch tires not to rub. Manual 3rd gens are fairly rare and you lose the electronic 4wd aids. 3rd gen beds are fully composite so no rusting issues there.

Ideally manual - seems to ME to be less prone to failure/wearing out than an auto and cheaper to fix/replace - I could be wrong. I prefer the LOOK of the short bed double cab, and I have some good ideas on what to do with that configuration.
Not really interested in the electronic 4wd aids - I'm old school like that.

When I bought mine I was searching out a used manual and they were hard to find. When I found this auto Pro with all the upgrades and low mileage I couldn't pass it up. Plus I convinced my wife I "needed" it as a commuter car since my 80 won't fit in the parking garages in downtown DC. So went with the auto.

Manual 3rd gens (maybe the 2nd gen too?) get the 4.30:1 gears versus 3.91:1 in the autos.

As much as I would like a manual FOR ME it might make more sense to have an auto for actual use... after all here in the US MOST driving will be on pavement and lots could be in traffic.

I'd say 2nd gen.....SB DC.....mine is '14 6 sp MT w/86K miles

Some years are better than others..'12-15

1st gen are smaller/tighter/less space Yes oil filter on the 1st Gen 3.4L is a real PIA

Started adding mods to this one......but then bought an '11 GX 460 :bang:

The GX has been a money P I T.........(mods)

w8tkwR8.jpg

Budget is pretty flexible, I'm not looking to save money, just to spend the money in a smart way.

0% APR on new Tacoma purchases from Toyota!

Deals

Bet you can get even better deals on NOS 2019s if you can find one you want on a lot. My buddy just got a 19 TRD Pro on a steal. $5k less than the 2020.

So maybe a better question is is there a year or years that are better than others or that I should stay away from say 2010 or newer? Engines or transmissions to look for stay away from?

between a 2019 and a 2020 I would be super happy to get a 2019 if I could save five grand. Especially if I could still get it at 0% APR for 5 years

So let's narrow this down some... within the last five model years or so: School me about the differences in the different trim levels. What's worth the extra cost and what's not based on my goal of a solid capable vehicle without more electronics.

If price is not so much an issue, then I would buy new with a deal. Used Tacoma's are not that much cheaper with the prices dealers command. I think the TRD Offroad's with the rear locker would give you the best off roader for the money. I'm not sold on the crawl control unless you wanted to make a sandwich while driving down the trail. As for the double vs. access cab depends on how many passengers you want to carry around. The access cab only has the 6 ft bed, the double can be made with the short or longbed. You can get the access cab minus the rear jump seats and save more $$. I haven't driven the 3.5 v6, but have heard varying comments on the lack of low end torque. The 2.7 four is absolutely bombproof and reliable, but will not gain any more mpg's over the v6.

I bought the 2.7 in a regular cab and have had zero problems outside of replacing the battery.

Between 2nd and 3rd gens, I'd go with a 2012+ 2nd gen. These seem most reliable and robust. 3rd gen I have seen the composite bed wear down if your sliding drawers back and forth.

I'd start by figuring out how much weight would be added then build the suspension accordingly. Tires would be 285/75R16 or 255/85R16s. Depending upon wheel offset will impact how much you rub. I Have no rub and no cab mount chop with the 255s! Regearing is not required, but 4.30:1 gears makes a big difference

I have a 07' Dbbl cab SB (Sport) with a 6 spd Man 4L V6 and drive the sh!t outa it, tow an RV trailer, and have lotsa experience with manual trans.
My son is in a 19' Dbbl cab (SR) the most basic model auto 3.5 L V6.
Both rigs are on 33" tires, and have a 3" lift. Yes, his auto does shift search, but on a recent trip on trails and small rock crawling, this little sh1t almost walked away from me, he had much more control crawling and going up hill, but I ruled going down hill.
Also, in the 2nd gen, you can not get the dbbl cab with a long bed that has a standard trans, auto only. The manual trans is short bed only (w/the dbbl cab)

I'm in the middle of a full on HD build of a 2019 6MT Sport. I chose the Sport for several reasons, and it sounds like some of them are right up your alley.

First, while it has traction control, it lacks the crawl control of the Off-road package, and thus the hydraulic brake booster that comes with it. That gives it a plain old vacuum assist master cylinder, which can be swapped, should you desire to mess with the brakes... be it a larger front setup, or a disc brake swap for the rear.

The 6MT Sport also has the larger 8.75" rear axle, but no locker. The stock GKN e-locker is nice, but there's currently no way to active it in high range... it can't be fooled like the 2nd gen. A manual transmission in 2X high range drive and a locked rear axle + some class 4 fire roads... yes please! A stock GKN, Harrop, Eaton, or ARB will be easy to add.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom