Scepter Water Jug - Hand Pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scepter Water Jerry Can - Modified the cap to accept a hand pump, which I use all the time and it works great.
I've had this going since December of 2020 - It remains one of my favorite little additions that I use frequently.
Nice thing the Scepter water can top has the vent already incorporated - just unscrew to vent while pumping.

Uses:
  • Easily fill up a dog water bowl when stopped. - - Unfortunately, mans best friend passed a few months ago =(
  • Rinse off hands
  • Refill water bottles (its also really easy to dump ice cubes into the scepter jug since it has such a large opening)
  • Rinse off cooking utensils
  • Anything else you may need some water for!
I have had the water freeze overnight in the jug in the winter.
Stays cool (enough) even in the summer.

Heres the article that lines out exactly how to do it and what you need - Also pictures of my installation. Its been working great for me. Enjoy!

PXL_20201227_160328712.jpg
PXL_20201227_160339237.jpg
PXL_20201227_160402773.jpg

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing!!

Killer idea and one I might have to knock out.

If you're looking for an automatic version, Mike at Overland Bound has a pretty cool video. It seems pretty straight forward but I still may go the manual pump route due to simplicity.

That's really cool and would be super convenient!

Makes sense if you use this often enough, I go out approx every 2-3 weeks so manual works good for me.

I started off with this, from front runner. Then modified the the drain spigot so it passed through the bottom of my carrier with a ball valve. Gravity made it automatic, another option that's pretty simple.

Screenshot_20210804-110008.png

A few years ago I used the same web site/instructions and it's worked out great. It just fits in my double decker fuel can swing out - unfortunately I don't get full throw of the pump lever but it still works plenty good enough with what I do have.

51358716110_261ba43f87_b.jpg

Recently did it again for my 74. Nice to have rear and side access here.

51184924587_d068b9e849_b.jpg

49913950928_facac2a9f9_b.jpg

Just push it onto the pour spout. Like this

Are you saying that the OD of this pump fits snugly with the ID of the Scepter spout? That would be very cool if that's the case.

Are you saying that the OD of this pump fits snugly with the ID of the Scepter spout? That would be very cool if that's the case.
Yup, snug fit. Occasionally it'll pop off if there's temp changes over a weekend or so of camping. But for $10 or $15 I'm fine with that

I would also like to know if that pump fits directly?

I bought this one and it requires mods to the spout to work…

View attachment 2750843
What are you using to store water? I'm pretty sure all the 5gal pumps are the same fit

I use a similar amazon pump adapted to an aquatainer with a 1/2" plumbing fitting from home depot. After using it I gave up the idea of using air pressure or RV pumps. Being self contained, It's much easier than dealing with air or electrical pumps, just attach it and you're done. The battery is supposed to last for about 40 gallons of water, so more than enough for a few trips and easy to recharge from any USB source

The only minor downside is that it's not high pressure, but it's more than enough for hand washing and cleaning. I actually prefer having low volume/low flow because when I used a RV style pump my water consumption went way up because it's overkill for most things like washing hands.

1628191077135.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom