Scepter Jerry Cans... Where to put em? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
chrisbromptonphotography.com
Where do you put 4x 5 Gal Scepter Jerry Cans? . I read a few threads that basically have me convinced that 20 Gal of Diesel fuel on my roof is a bad idea. So, I could put them inside my BJ60, however I'm not too keen on that. They don't leak but they are Surplus from the late 80's. If I go that way, any suggestions as to where inside? Or how to secure them?

My other option, the trailer. It's an M416 with a lid, nose box and a rtt on top. however I have an ARB fridge inside. So I am leery about putting 20 Gal of diesel next to a fridge compressor in a confined space. Am I crazy paranoid?
I can fit 2 cans on the sides of the trailer in front of the fenders but no place for the other 2. Anyone have any ideas?

Where do you put 4x 5 Gal Scepter Jerry Cans? . I read a few threads that basically have me convinced that 20 Gal of Diesel fuel on my roof is a bad idea. So, I could put them inside my BJ60, however I'm not too keen on that. They don't leak but they are Surplus from the late 80's. If I go that way, any suggestions as to where inside? Or how to secure them?

My other option, the trailer. It's an M416 with a lid, nose box and a rtt on top. however I have an ARB fridge inside. So I am leery about putting 20 Gal of diesel next to a fridge compressor in a confined space. Am I crazy paranoid?
I can fit 2 cans on the sides of the trailer in front of the fenders but no place for the other 2. Anyone have any ideas?
Bumper swing out rack on the truck or trailer?

Personally I would not hesistate carrying the Sceptors in the vehicle. As long as they have good gaskets on the lids and they are secured properly, I see no issue. I know of lots who do it.

check out these pics..
this is what others are doing....

attachment.php

attachment.php

img00041201102131529.jpg

Those racks are genius! Where do I get my hands on something like that?
From that thread
Ok guys, I’ve received a lot of emails lately requesting the interior carriers and I can make more of the carriers however:

• I need at least 20 pair (1 driver and 1 passenger side) pre-orders with deposits

• The cost will be $649 a pair (I sold the first 20 at a loss)

Please post up what you guys think. I realize some will not be happy with the increased cost however quality and design isn’t cheap.

My feelings will not be hurt if the cheaper version is the popular choice.

I would guess you could have a local fab shop build a simple four can swing out for you trailer for that price and keep the interior room in your truck for stuff that can't take the weather as well as a Jerry can. Just a thought.

Personally I would not hesistate carrying the Sceptors in the vehicle. As long as they have good gaskets on the lids and they are secured properly, I see no issue. I know of lots who do it.

I would not want them inside. Mine on the back shrink and swell a lot with changes in temp. They also have leaked a number of times if not tight enough.

If you are building racks in front of the wheels on your trailer, just continue forward and build the rack big enough for two on a side.

This is how I carry a fuel can and 2 water cans

FuelCan.jpg MudPostJugs1.jpg
FuelCan.jpg
MudPostJugs1.jpg

@ azTony: you must be a fire guy, to enjoy the smell of diesel and rubber. ;)

No diesel, all gasoline and there is no smell. The Scepters seal very well, I had it full of gas for a 9 day 4 wheeling trip to CM 2011 this year. The tire has no smell at all of rubber, I am not sure where people get that from.

All in all those were my fears but it worked out to be no smell :cheers:

For diesel, as the OP states, I would actually prefer to keep them inside the vehicle. Safer that way, as long as you strap them down (and they are good cans that don't leak).

For petrol gas, put them outside somewhere. Or go buy a diesel truck. :flipoff2:

Put them on a rack on the rear.

FJ40.jpg

Or in your trailer, yes you are being overly paranoid about worrying about them near your fridge.

Or in a rack on the front or rear of the trailer.

Mark...

X2, agree. For my uses, prefer inside storage. It largely depends on use, but it wouldn't take much of an impact/accident/rollover to rupture cans on the outside. An accident with enough force to rupture cans inside the rig, is more likely have other, larger issues. My rig has to run through kamikaze traffic on the way to the trail, it wouldn't take much of a rear end accident to rupture cans stored on a rear carrier and shower fuel all over!

What about an aux fuel tank?

What about an aux fuel tank?

IMHO, if you frequently need to carry extra fuel, the aux tank is the best way to do it. For me it comes down to evaluating the "need", I believe the '80 is heavy enough stock, doesn't need any ballast!:hillbilly: Extra tanks can also cause maintenance/reliability issues, especially when not used often.

I have run lots of the long runs in SE Utah; Lockhart, Beef Basin, White Rim, etc, all several times and have never carried extra fuel. IIRC, this year, left out of Monticello, ran Lockhart into Moab and the fill was only ~10gal, so all day and used less than a half a tank.

Next year we plan to explore the Maze, will likely carry a can or two, mostly due the the distances between station opportunities. In 7yrs of wheeling the rig in the SW, this will be the first time that I feel the need, so my choice is cans and likely won't need or use them. Not willing to give up the weight/room in the rig, for a full time tank that is only used that infrequently.

That said, everyone's use is different and the evaluation depends on that use. I have wheeled my rig long enough to know and be comfortable with the stock range for my use.

I think aux tanks are awesome, but in California at least, they have been known to cause problems at smog renewals.

One nice thing about fuel cans is that they can be unloaded from the vehicle to help in recovery. Also, if you puncture an aux tank or it gets contaminated, there goes all that fuel and it's much more difficult to get it out of the truck than with cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom