sbc swap (progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn that's pretty! Makes me want to lose the 2F and do the same! :p

That's a truck avenger carb, good for 40 degrees . Everything I've heard says this is the carb to have, we'll see.

I've heard good things about the truck avenger. I've always prefered holleys, but the new edelbrocks have been gettin better with reliability and performance.

A friend has the avenger on his rig and although it is better than the old Edelbrock it still doesn't compare with my Q-jet. When we go up the dune trail his flounders in the whoops. Any good bouncing and it lays down. After reading this thread I took it for a drive this morning. I went straight to the local volcano that we like to climb. My rig roosted right to the top but his stumbled and burbled its way up in almost double the time. The Edelbrock rips on the road but can't compete in the rough.

Nothing feels better than smackin down your cash and then getting the news that you bought the wrong thing......

Thats my big question to. I'm about to do a sbc swap and dont have the $$$ to go fuel injected. Should I go for the avenger or the q-jet and if a q-jet then which one? Is there any thing special that needs to be done to it to make it perform off road better?

Joseph

Q-jet. I think mine came from a 79 blazer. It's stone stock. When I got it the whole thing was full of grunge. A carb kit done by the book with stock adjustments and the old cruiser is better than ever.

[quote author=knuckledragger link=board=1;threadid=6766;start=msg56317#msg56317 date=1067392085]
Nothing feels better than smackin down your cash and then getting the news that you bought the wrong thing......
[/quote]

So one guy has a story about the avenger carb and you want to disown it? A new quadrajet ain't cheap either.

What works for one, doesn't always work for another. I've bought s*** that people recomended and regretted it later.

Do yer own testing, make yer own decisions.

My 78' has the 350 swap, and the Qjet mounted atop the Edelbrock Performer manifold. It has worked flawlessly since day one. The Qjet may not be the street demon that the others are, but then what are you proposing to do with it?? Off-road, it is literally a poor man's fuel injection. Set up right, it gets great mileage, decent road performance and superior off-road compared to a Holley. Thems just the facts that I've experienced. YMMV, but I kinda doubt it. Just be sure to get a Qjet that is set up for a V8 and preferably a truck. It was also easy to rebuild as someone else noted.... Good Luck!

Nice! I'm getting excited about mine now. I tried to install everything over the weekend but got evacuated because of the fires. The Cruiser was a hard thing to leave behind at 5:00 am, let me tell you. All's well though. But hey, has anyone had any issues with the pilot bushing supplied with the AA 350 to LC 4spd kit? The brass one I got is about .003" OD smaller than stock and can slide into the back of the crank and spin, whereas the stock bushing is big enough to be pressed in. I called AA and they're confused. They said to use the one in the kit, but it should be tight, but the stock bushing from Autozone is the one that is tight. The AA one is deeper becuase of a collar on the end, (becuase I think the 4 speed shaft is shorter than the Chevy) so I might just dimple the outside and put some lock-tite on it to make it snug. That should make up the .003". Anyway, just wondering.

Thanks.

Theo:

I have no intention of ditching a brand new carb based on anyone but my own experience, however had I known proir to my purchase I would have just rebuilt the Q that came on the motor and tested it out without the expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom