SBC, Ram Horns, and Plug Wires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This isn't really a Cruiser questions except that the SBC is in the Cruiser.

With a small block chevy and early points GM distributor and Ram Horn exhaust manifolds, I'm pretty sure GM routed the plug wires around the back sides of the heads and to the sides and then up to the plugs with 90 degree boots. The 2 front cylinder wires on each bank were even clipped to a holder on one of the oil pan bolts to keep them away from the exhaust pipe. These 2 wires on each bank were very long.

So, is anyone using a shorter wire and running them OVER the Ram Horn manifolds? If so what wire set are you using and what kinds of clips, or holders are you using to keep them from burning up on the manifolds? And are you using 90, 120, or 180 boots?

Last edited:
miker said:
I'm pretty sure GM routed the plug wires around the back sides of the heads and to the sides and then up to the plugs with 90 degree boots. The 2 front cylinder wires on each bank were even clipped to a holder on one of the oil pan bolts to keep them away from the exhaust pipe. These 2 wores on each back were very long.
QUOTE]

this is exactly how mine are routed and are well protected from touching anything real hot.

180* boots work well IMO.
Big block chevy wires from the early 70's or BB vette will work. Several ways to do the loom... I used a loom from autozone $19 (second pic, not my rig tho). or attach the indiviual loom sets on top your valve cover. Straight boots work the best. If you have good wire set and they are in good shape you can order straight boots from summit for $10 and attach in place of your 90* The straight will hold the wire away from you rams and protect the plug .

IMO the routing on both those sucks.
Run em back and up behind head. I believe Butch knows the part # for the BB set that works as far as length....

peesalot said:
IMO the routing on both those sucks.
Run em back and up behind head. I believe Butch knows the part # for the BB set that works as far as length....

If anyone has a part number or can give me application (year, engine, model) that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm going to ruin some young punk part kids day by having him pull a bunch of sets from the back room. :D

miker said:
If anyone has a part number or can give me application (year, engine, model) that would be appreciated. :D

if you don't want the wires to go over the Rams Horn manifolds then , a '75 vette had HEI with Rams horns. Earlier vettes without Hei are similar. The wires have 90º boots and are routed down the back of the engine and up to the spark plugs. It's not as *cool* looking as over the top wire routing, but underneath routing easily prevents wires from making direct contact with the Rams Horns or
ust buy a set of accel "cutsom fit" wires 20-30$. you can get straight or ninties,just cut to length. they will come with both hei and points ends..

another method which looks pretty clean.

Last edited:
I like the idea of routing the wires around the back of the heads. Periodically, the heat shield for that type of wire routing pop up on ebay. They go pretty quick and for top $$. Does anyone have a year or stock number for the wire set that will rout the wires that way? Big block corvette? Are all years the same?

I just routed the wires extra long, with wire separators. Got the Jacobs DIY setup. They have been fine for 8 yrs now...ymmv.

Cheers!
MyDsides.jpg
MyPsideS.jpg

miker said:
I don't think those pictured are Ram Horm heat shields.

The heat shield should be between the manifold and the spark plug when mounted. Those shields on ebay are going to be below the spark plug. The Ram Horn manifold is above the spark plug.

I can't view ebay at work here ;p The heat shields that I am referring to attach to the motor block and heads below the rams horn that protect the wires as they pass between the engine block and the exhaust pipe. They are flat metal with a slight bend and about 2" wide. I have several heat shields that will work with the rams horn, if the wires route under the rams horn, not over them. They attach to mount bolts for the rams horns. But I don't have any of the flat shields mentioned above.

BTW, since we are talking about rams horns exhaust, I prefer the manifolds that came on 1980-1981 corvettes. They are more like headers than manifolds. Will post pic later.

cardinal fang said:
I have several heat shields that will work with the rams horn, if the wires route under the rams horn, not over them. They attach to mount bolts for the rams horns. But I don't have any of the flat shields mentioned above.

BTW, since we are talking about rams horns exhaust, I prefer the manifolds that came on 1980-1981 corvettes. They are more like headers than manifolds. Will post pic later.
Bill,
I am very interested in the pictures you mention. Please post them as I am very interested.

miker said:
I don't think those pictured are Ram Horm heat shields.

The heat shield should be between the manifold and the spark plug when mounted. Those shields on ebay are going to be below the spark plug. The Ram Horn manifold is above the spark plug.
Ditto. These aren't for the ramshorn-style manifolds.

Here are a few pics of the way I route the wires behind head and up under ramshorn-type manifolds on my VJ40. I have tried several different ways of routing them and this works best for me. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom