Saving SOR posts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I logged on to the SOR forum last night and saved a number of posts by just copying them into a word file (pictures included). It seems to work well for those that are interested and is a bit of insurance in case Woody can't recreate some of the old posts.

Glad to see we have a new home

Cheers, Hugh

;DRe: Saving SOR posts

Hugh,

Who'd ya leave out? :D

Good deal! They will come in good use. Now if everybody does that we should have it all covered.

I used the search function , and simply searched for all posts with a " " in them :)) . Of course 200 immediately popped up ... I checked the source code , and they appear to be completely sequential ... from 000001 onwards . A bit of a chore , but you could click on each link/post and when it comes up , "select all" and past it into a word file as suggested .

I wish I had the brains to write some simple code to do that for us ... sorry .

Another thought , isn't there software on the web that allows you to 'grab' a site and view it 'offline' ? Do they allow one to dig so many levels into the site ? If so , I wonder if that would work .. too little , too late eh ?

T

Re:  ;DRe: Saving SOR posts

Hugh,

Who'd ya leave out? :D
ahem...well a number of people who shall remain nameless...although if this site ever goes down I do plan to save the fat lady with the thong picture (FLWTTP) :D

I wonder if Tyler is correct, is there a simple way to capture the site 'off line' or can you only capture one page at a time?

Cheers, Hugh

How much file space do you think it would require? Woody said SOR was sending him "discs"... What if they were say, DVDs maybe. Couldn't we burn copies and for some sort of recovery fee, copy them off for the group?

Maybe I'm nuts ???

You can import a site with frontpage and save it to your hard disk. I don't have fpage though right now. I'm sure other webpublish sware has that ability too.

It wouldn't take much space certainly not enough to require a DVD. SOR ran UBB mostly stock, with very few additional graphics. Even without ever pruning posts, which I don't think SOR ever did did, the entire forum probably took less than 6MB.

we'll find out soon enuf...SOR is sending me the data/software and I'll see what can be pulled from it.

Thanks woody.

There are some really nice trees in that forest..... :beer:

I used the offline browsing option in ie5 to save the entire 40 series forum, 3 links deep. it was quite large, don't know exactly, I have hard disk space to spare.

Just spoke with SOR....their forum software and data outta be in my hands soon. Will experiment a bit with it, and play with the options for regeneration in this software or tranferring this data to that forum software. (I do NOT wanna run both at once! lol)

Will keep everyone posted as things happen...

Ooooops. Sorry Wench. Woody was
juggle.gif
the software and all your posts fell out :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Woody - hey man, we're all super appreciative of ya :bow: for doing all this, but dude, how do you actually ever have time to work to pay for all your junk? Especially since it seems you have an addiction to rolling. :flipoff2:

Ooooops. ÊSorry Wench. ÊWoody was
juggle.gif
the software and all your posts fell out Ê:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Woody - hey man, we're all super appreciative of ya Ê:bow: for doing all this, but dude, how do you actually ever have time to work to pay for all your junk? ÊEspecially since it seems you have an addiction to rolling. :flipoff2:
???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom