SAS/frame shackle tubes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, looking for some insight on getting frame shackle tubes installed square to the world.

What is the best way to get the tubes perfectly? aligned to the front hanger and symmetrical from left to right?

100_1955-jpg.390935

pic

Thx for the reply. It turns out I wont need to install any. The plan changed and I'll be keeping my stock '85 tubes in place.

The tube aligner Idea is good, I'll use that in the future if I ever need to install frame tubes.

I didnt make it as far in thought as putting them on a round tube.

My original idea was to measure the width I needed them at on center...which I seem to recall a 29" center. If the tubes were 4" long then I would put the inside edges of the tubes at 25" apart. Then just use the outside and inside 6 o clock position to plum bob them parallel and square to the front hanger and equidistant up from the bottom of the frame rail. But if they were on a tube keeping them aligned it would save error and time of squaring up both inside and outside of the tube and could just use the outside 6 o clock position for parallel and square.

I have found most of the jigs are pretty darn good. I have also found using a hole saw and right angle drill works best for me getting them perfect. I use the jig, Mark center then drill my hole after double checking.

20220914_215605.jpg

I used the jig, hung the springs, took a couple measurements to confirm I was close enough and welded them.

I actually cut the drivers side inside frame hole with a plasma. There’s a little brace on the inside of the frame rail and I couldn’t get my hole saw through it from the outside. My exhaust was in the way on the inside.

Once you drill your center holes use a 6” piece of 1/4” round stock to go through both holes on either side of the frame rail to ensure your hole saw is tracking correctly.

I actually cut the drivers side inside frame hole with a plasma. There’s a little brace on the inside of the frame rail and I couldn’t get my hole saw through it from the outside. My exhaust was in the way on the inside.

Once you drill your center holes use a 6” piece of 1/4” round stock to go through both holes on either side of the frame rail to ensure your hole saw is tracking correctly.
that little inner piece can be a pain. And yea I try to do the inside of the frame with exhaust removed. It is a critical enough part to get right though and worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom