Sandblasting a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I`m thinking of sandblasting my hood to eliminate some rust-do you think the sandblaster could warp or damage the shape of it?

I had my entire tub sandblasted by one of those giant fire hose sized blasters. It did a great job, but it was very hard to get all the sand out for painting. It would be perfect if you are going for a trail paint job. Heck, I'd do it again regardless of the quality of paint.

I did my rig too and I used the biggest freakin blaster I could rent. It stripped everything very nice. You shouldn't have any problems with hte metal as long as it still thick enough. Hood doesn't usually rust through. Get info from a sand blsting place too before you begin and tellthem what you want to do and the finish you are putting on and all info and they can tell you what material to use. I would check pricing on getting it done cause it's not that bad to remove the hood and it is an easy item for them to blast and they know what they are doing. I accidentally ripped the cover that i had on the wind shield and blasted the wind shield and basically in about ...mmm... 1/2 second screwed it. :doh: But that's just me I'm sure you'll do a good job. Later

eternal-forever

I would hire it out. My 55 frame was $150 including PU and DO. He will do the tub, doors etc... for an additional $300. Just not worth it to do it yourself.

I sandblasted my whole tube, fenders and hood with no problems. I used a small hand held sandblaster so it took about four ten hour days to do it all. Call me crazy but I had some time to kill. If I did it again I would hire it out. It got a little boring after a while.

I found the sand a little hard to get rid of before I painted it but it was no big deal since I was painting it myself for the trail. No showtruck finish for me. Good Luck, Bob

To keep things from overheating I used a sandblaster that attaches to the end of a pressure washer. Makes a huge mess but did a nice job. Took me a day to do my whole frame and misc. sheet metal parts.

Dont remember what the link is but Jeff Zepp has a write up on sandblasting a 40. pretty informational. Brought up some points about the size of the air compressor and other things.

I am in the process of doing mine, Same Crafstman hand held Works but slow.

cleaning aluminum oxide out of every non covered part of your body isnt that much fun.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom