Sag mount reinforcement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have pics edited to show my problem and possible solution.. 74/40 with a sag set up from btb fab. I had a friend wield it on before I got it road legal and before I got my own wielding machine, that out of the way...
image.jpg
image.jpg

My steering is really bad because of this. It acts like death wobble but I was told it was cuz of the steering not returning to center. I adjusted the box tighter and then loosened the adjustment but it makes it worse and in someways better. Tho my box is new and all tre's are new 555 brand from Kirk at cruiser outfitters... I checked the motion of the outers, no play that I can see and there very smothe lock to lock

As for my solution
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm looking for ideas before I cut the plate off and wield it higher but that would involve cutting the cross member more and be more work reinforcing that to which is gonna be done as well

Don't take this personal, but the weld quality sucks! Looks like poor penetration, porosity and undercutting. I would cut it off and start over.

Last edited:
"Burned in hot" is not the answer. Proper rod/wire, PROPER amperage and proper weld prep. I see a lot of rusty iron there. Even 6011 rod can fall if the weld is not somewhat prepped.

None taken :) this is y I ask... But as I said it wasn't me that wielded it and he had a very s***ty wielder and under powered for the job. Mine can wield this and I'm a much better wielder. It's just when this was done I wasn't able to wield it cuz I'm fighting cancer and he was doing me a favor on it

I plan to clean it up really well before I rewield it...it's been unpainted for about a year and it was preped before it was wielded on. He was using a little cracker box mig wielder. I may bump my machine up to a .035 e71t-gs flux core

The 75/25 mix is my preference. I believe it's worth the money.

Most folks find the bottom weld to be a challenge. It's overhead and the spring hanger is in the way. I tie the two bottom holes to the frame with DOM tube through the frame.
Hope you win the fight!

My plan is to put my truck on a flat bed wrecker and get it as high as possible. For comfort and a better wield

What size plate did you weld on there looks thin from the pics. You could also put a gusset on the back side fron the frame to the plate that will stop side to side flexing. I would grind all the rust and paint off to clean bare metal then where all the welds will be grind into the frame about 1/8" and weld it back up with .045 duel shield

You need crush sleeves inside your frame where the bolts go thru.
That's why I use DOM pipe through the frame for the bottom mounting holes.:)

Made some progress and I did get good penetration on the weld but still got more work under the frame and doing the gusset but I'm happy with the top and front also gunna put the crush sleeves in.

What size DOM tube do I look for? I got 7/16 bolts.

And the plate looks like 3/16th but not sure it's whatever btb uses.

One more thing where do you get your gm steering boxes? Mine is a gm A body but the part store boxes seem like s*** and unreliable on if they work or not
image.jpg

My plate is just like that one but it mounts the box too low for me to put that tube in without cutting it at the bottem and side. I plan on useing 1/4 c-channel with a 3" hole poped in and trimmed tight. But my problem has nothing to with that part. I see no reinforcement for the bottom of the plate trying to rip it self off the frame. And I know the guy from btb from what I was told gets his stuff from others in the community and sell a bit higher

Update: I got it reinforced and the truck does drive better. All welds have very good penn. I think the death wobble is 85% gone but now I can feel the steering better but it handles like a go kart with very fast steering... I know I can go with a shorter pitman arm. And I have a parts store box that I don't know the ratio... And I can send it to psc and have it built with whatever ratio I want.

Also what ratio should I go with? what is a good place to get one?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

nitroid13, I'm sending a PM to give you options, also suggest you get my freebie Downey power steering instruction manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom