safest process to cut/drill into a gas tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spark plug exhaust

you dont have to kill your ignition to get blue flame, when you do, you pump raw fuel through everything and wind up with blown out mufflers, not that I would know or anything................:grinpimp:

I have seen an old timer do this....actually he was patching it up due to rust. But first you have to clean in out with whatever you deem is a good cleaner. And then fill up with water. It dilutes the water with whatever fumes is leftover and you also reduce the volume space.

wantatlc said:
now that seems reasonable.... just curious, have you done this method yourself?

ARGON!!! or NITROGEN !!!

I've been a pipe weldor for over 30 years (mostly stainless) and wondered when someone would mention purging with an inert gas like argon,........truly foolproof.

Drill

Curious about the sending unit you are putting in the aux tank---are you also running an aux fuel gauge from it?

---since the tank reading system works off resistance, wiring in another sender in parallel or in series will throw the main gauge off---in series will increase the resistance and in parallel will reduce it

My 2 cents for safety
I wont comment on what is and what isnt safe in inerting a tank but one thing to keep in mind is the friction generated in the drilling process itself makes enough heat to cause combustion

I saw the results of pulling screws out of a fuel tank with a cordless- the screws got real hot in the process as evident from the fire that resulted---(this was not a car tank)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom