Rusty old 75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 75 series with about 280,000ks on the clock and 27 years on the calendar. A little side story first. I had a noise in the gearbox and a friend and I drove around trying to isolate it. After we figured out it was probably the lay shaft (counter shaft) i.e. little noise in 4th but present in every other gear, I decided to let the experts deal with it. I’m getting to old to lift h55f’s out of a ute now. $4400 later all fixed. The clutch was tired so he suggested replacing it with an Exedy Heavy duty while he was in there. Safari tuff being overkill for a 1hz. New Cluster Gear, Input shaft, long spline final and all bearings and seals throughout the box and transfer. I received a phone call telling me the Pinion nut had come loose at some stage and pinion shaft had flogged the flange splines out. Did I want him to fix it? Sure, why not! His version of tightening a nut was to recondition the diff with new bearings throughout, shimmed limited slip with 80 flb side to side and even regreased the rear wheel bearings and fitted new genuine seals. So, everything from the new rear main seal backwards is reconditioned. BTW, Hart Engineering in Brendale did the work and I’m very happy. Fast and done properly.
Anyway, I’m driving around listening to hear any strange sounds from the new work when I thought; I can hear that a little too well. Went home and lifted the vinyl floor up and … sure enough a huge rust hole through the floor on the passenger and a few pin holes (big pins) in the driver’s side.

So, swore a lot, started thinking about it and decided to have a go myself. First I wire wheeled the floor, rust converted what was left and decided what to cut out. I wasn’t going to buy a whole floor pan for the section I needed so I made a press jig out of some MDF and a ‘ground to shape’ piece of 15 x 12 mild steel bar. I made the piece in 4 sections and welded them together. I figured it was too hard to make a jig to do the whole piece at once. I put a 1mm slitting wheel on the grinder and started hacking. I ground down the spot welds on the sill. I spent ages fitting the plate to the hole so welding would be easier. I drilled holes through the new plate and welded through them to the old spot weld positions on the sill. I bird s***ted around the cut section and ground the welds a bit flatter but not flush with the plate. I wire brushed the floor and spray painted it with a zinc undercoat because I needed to leave it for a few weeks.

When I got back to it I painted the floor with Dulux Rustoleum undercoat and white epoxy topcoat, and forgot to take photos of the finished job. Looked that good that you’d think someone knew what they were doing, sort of. The floor has now been covered with Car Builders sound deadening product. It is an aluminium sheet with about 2mm of butyl rubber underneath that you roll onto the surface and the rubber sticks without glue. I covered the floor from the from under the vinyl on the firewall back to the seat bolts and stopped there. No photos yet. It’s quieter but not a good as I expected, so I have also bought some new waterproof underlay from the same company. Haven’t fitted it yet. I’ll try to get some photos while I’m fitting that.

Note: should have bought the replacement floor pan panel.
1 Closer shot of rust.JPG
2 After rust converting.JPG
3 Closer shot of rust after converting 2.JPG
4 Zinc coating.JPG
5 After welding & wire brushing.JPG

Sorry about the formatting. Haven't used this for a while. I hope someone may get something useful out of the post.

Neat work. Has the windscreen been leaking?

Thanks ozcruiser.
Yes Rosco, the windscreen has been leaking, but I thought it was mainly on the drivers side. I had a cracked windscreen replaced about a year ago and it seemed to slow the leak down a lot. I had a vacuum cruise control electronic module corrode out because of the water dripping through it on the way to the floor. Some shaped vinyl mats seem to hold the small puddle still leaking so it doesn’t reach the floor now. I’m too scared to fold the windscreen panel down because of what I might find under it.
I’m a little ashamed I let the rust get that bad. When my father bought it he had it well covered with ensis fluid and had it under cover. When he passed away I kept it but it now lives outside 24/7.
I’m having trouble finding ensis fluid locally but I have found tectyl 506 which seems similar.

I’m too scared to fold the windscreen panel down because of what I might find under it.

Ive folded a couple back and was pleasantly surprised. For some reason that frame rusts out quicker than everything around it

That’s good to hear. I’m going to spray tectyl in from the front and hope it will soak in to whatever is there and slow it down.

I'm a believer in fish oil because it leaches up going around the frame but go through the rear vision mirror mount bolt holes start from the top and let it run around the frame. It may stink for a few months but it works great cutting out the oxygen supply to the surface rust. I brought my old hj60 with one small match head size rust bubble developing in the rear roof turret 200 m fish oil each side every two years. I sold that truck 12 years later with the same small bubble.

I appreciate the advice. I was only going to do the bottom between the frame and the body but it seems obvious that now you have said it that I should do the whole frame. Ensis fluid creeps everywhere too but I can’t find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom