Rusted rear channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear channel (just under the ambulance doors) needs replacing on my 40. What is the best way to go about this? CCOT has relplacement for lotsa bucks or TPI has an aluminum cover that looks like it would work good enough. I have also thought about building a new channel out of 2 inch square tubing. Anybody done this? Let me here some opinions.

i've thought about doing it... to yours.

I would go with the tubing. I used rectangle with caps on the ends but no difference. Make sure it is a nice wall thickness, think mine was 3/16. I would make sure that the floor is in decent shape to attach(if not cut it out while you have it apart) to and a good rust stop applied as well.

Johnny,

I did with mine what you're suggesting. I used 2" box iron to make the rear piece and simply cut out holes to get to the body mounts. I voted for this over the channel for strength (not that the channel iron would be weak, I just tend to overdo it sometimes.)

Thanks for the links sambudo. Lotsa help. I think i still might just build it myself. Thanks for the input everybody.

Got in this kinda late, but I installed the rear sill from Spencer Redshaw of Canada Cruisers. Nice piece, reasonably priced, and you can't tell the difference between it and a factory piece on the outside. Looks very good. Of course, the installer makes a huge difference on it....YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom