Rusted Frozen Broken Bolt Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I now have 3 bolts that are snapped off in the frame.
One is for the engine skid plate.
Other is the rear bump stop. I broke off both.
I can get to the skid plate with a drill but the bump stop is right over the axle assembly.

How do I drill them out? Do I have to drop the axle?

And now the big question?
How do I drill and remove the rusted bolts?
Is there a tool for that job or do I have to just drill them out best I can and tap (I thinks thats what its called, rethreaded) it the next size bigger bolt?
When the bolt is sticking out a little, how do I get the drill bit to drill into the center of the bolt? Do I grind it down?

To get the drill bit to stay centered I'd use a cut-off blade on a dremel to make "crosshairs" in the center of the bolt. Then start with small bit, moving up to bigger and bigger...

Good luck,

David

Snap-On, Mac, and probably other companies sell extractors similar to easy outs that work better for automotive,

19133.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1262&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Until you get to know them you will likely break them off in the bolt, you will need to drill a hole first,

There are 90° adapters for drills that may work if you have enough room,

For even tighter spaces there are "90 motor" drills that take 1/4-28 threaded drill bits of different lengths, too expensive for this app unless you can find a used one.

Soak them in PB blaster for a week before, heat would also help but I would think twice before heating the frame. Vibration can also help loosen them

you can start a bit on just abotu anything just tilt the drill against the direction it wants to walk as you start it, straighten back up as soon as it starts, drilling protrudign head rivets teaches you this quick

you can also do it the old fassion way by making a dent with a center punch to start in

left handed drill bits have always done a nice job for me, if you can get them started that is. shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom