Rustbusters spray welding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You can accomplish a similar event by using straight Argon, high amps and wire feed. Turn your lense waaaay up. Very bright arc. I've never "used" it but experimented with Argon........:doh:
Seems easier to just cut out the bad and weld in the new. At least for me.:meh:

Ed

spray xfer

Yes I am familiar with spray transfer with mig welding I am curious if anyone ever used this or knew what it cost though. I agree in terms of getting a little repair at home that cutting and welding is prolly the quickest easiest route

just interested in the process and why someone would use it instead of MIG that's all

I had an oportunity to "play with" a torch based, spray welding rig at a trade show some few years ago. If worked very well for: hard facing; manifold repair; building up eroded or missing parts (tabs, ears, holes). In less than 20 minutes i qualified, "expert" (or so the salesmen claimed, LOL).

Didn't buy it though. In hind site there have only been afew things that it would have been the "cat's Meow" for.

Airgas Gaspro was the vendor. I want to say that the kit and initial consumables were around $600.00 at the time.

From what i remember the welder unit was the size of my FJ40 and the thing was crazy loud and filled holes in head light rings like magic...I was watching a demo at a shop in town.

Shane

i was thinking the same thing.. but if the stuff doesn't get very hot.. then i guess you could probably get away with it in most cases and the stuff would just fall to the floor.

seems like 'magic' to me...

The mig based system seems to be much cooler than the torch based stuff I farted around with. the torch is way cheaper and the powder fillers have improved greatly.

It does seem a bit to good to be true. I imagine that body panels would require intermediate steps such as sanding and forming.

Has to...they say it fills just like lead, which requires filing and shaping. I would think of it as metal bondo.

One thing to keep in mind is that this process uses zinc which is bad for your health. Wear a mask if your grinding....

lol have you walked outside... everything is bad for your health..

i could see some definite grinding involved but this is interesting... there were some people on the forum who wanted to powder coat their trucks (body tubs) but of course you can't powdercoat bondo.. this might be an appropriate workable substance that would be able to be powdercoated

WHy powder coat when you can hard face it? lol

lol have you walked outside... everything is bad for your health..

yeah life is a carcinogen

everything is "space age" these days. what does that even mean anymore? Is this water i'm drinking in a space age plastic bottle?

I used the one here in Tucker, Georgia. I believe the mix is mostly liquid zinc. They filled in some holes in my front fenders. I still need to clean them up and smooth out, but I am very impressed. I will probably have more done at their shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom